Pure Smoke vs. VAPR

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
VAPR is definitely a better gimmick, but Pure Smoke is cheaper. So it really depends on whether or not you feel like coughing up a little more dough for a better gimmick. I'd roll with VAPR personally.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
For me there are three reasons that speak for VAPR:

1. You can charge it via USB port
2. You can determine the duration of the smoke
3. To me VAPR seems much more practical, since the gimmick is more compact and smaller than Pure Smoke

However, I recommend taking a look at the Pure Smoke DVD, so you can see what to expect from the Pure Smoke device...

Last edited by a moderator:

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
VAPR is definitely a better gimmick, but Pure Smoke is cheaper.
That's because E know they won't sell many (if any) if it's more expensive. That's also why there was a huge promotion on Pure Smoke leading up to the release of VAPR.

If you must, get VAPR but I would wait a little longer....

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Neither of these devices are particularly impressive. I cannot for the life of me remember where, but I watched a video wherein a guy dips his finger in oil, rubs the oil on a table. You cannot see that anything is there. He then proceeds to shoot a little jet of mist onto the oil from about 5 feet away, and the oil begins to turn into a deep red vapor. THAT is the type of thing I would be willing to spend money on. I feel like it's just too simple to rig up something like this yourself with a modified E-CIG.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think VAPR basically took all of the weaknesses of Pure Smoke and turned them into strong points which is great marketing. E knew this and knew if they didn't come up with a price drop and offer a DVD they were dead in the water. Personally I think VAPR looks sweet and would be cool to use every now and again, but for the working magician neither is probably the most practical. That is why I love watching sleight of hand with rings and ribbons, card effects, coins, etc. Because it looks like "real" magic.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I recently bought Pure Smoke and when I said recently, I mean I got it in the mail about 3 days ago. and was getting super excited. I put it on once, very very gently because I was afraid to break it as I am not use to having things wrapped around my body and such. I got about 15-20 puffs and already the device is broken. I can't get any smoke to come out whatsoever. I changed the batteries, I changed the cartridge I've followed every instruction to the letter and still nothing. Then I find that it seems that many many people have had similar faulty devices. Major let down. I haven't bought anything expensive from Ellusionist in years and thought I'd finally give them another shot and again I was let down...... I didn't even know about VAPR until after I had already received my Ellusionist package. I wish I had waited because my jaw literally dropped when I realized that pretty much all the problems of Pure Smoke were fixed with VAPR. When I save up a little more money I'm definitely gonna get VAPR. Hopefully I can get a refund from Ellusionist since I followed all the instructions and still only got about 15-20 puffs. :/

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Links?

I've yet to see this new piece in that E has been down and I can't get onto it. Anyone have a link to this new version? Price Points?

I'm not familiar with the whole eCig technology but I've said since day one, if the gaff could be built into a Thumb Tip vs. a Pen, it would be significantly more practical and invisible. A Smaller unit would make this even more viable. My problem in trying to R&D such things is finding the right brand of eCig in that not all allow you to "blow" into them

NOTE: I don't think I'm exposing anything here, most folks know the basic technology behind these things.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey Craig!

The new Vapr product can be seen here - http://store.theory11.com/products/vapr-by-will-tsai. This video shows the components of the Vapr system so you can get an idea of how it works and hwo it could be used. I think the coolest thing about this (it's not a theory11 product, but rather something we thought was awesome enough to justify offering here) is that this can be triggered by remote control up to 50 feet away, dramatically expanding the possibilities. It's not for everyone, but it really is an awesome tool for adding a little something extra to the right performances.

// L

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
E did not start their promotion because of VAPR. Totally different motivation.

I think VAPR has some solid features. I will, however, reserve my opinion on it until it's been on the market for a while and there are more reviews. These devices are fickle and I'm curious to see if they've overcome the difficulties I'm familiar with.

Jun 19, 2013
I'd definitely go with VAPR. I bought a Pure Smoke device and it worked fine, but on the second day it stopped working. So E sent me a new one, which was defective and completely useless right out of the box. E sent me a third one, which stopped working as soon as I put a new cartridge in it. I have a feeling that VAPR will be a lot more reliable. The ONLY thing that concerns me right now about VAPR is how much noise it makes. The noise is what's holding me back.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
DAMN! Another very expensive toy. . . I so don't do this poor thing well. . . Beer budget & Champagne tastes

OK. . . Dear Santa. . .

It really is everything one could ask for when it comes to this kind of technology; especially for doing haunts and seance work.

A RELATED QUESTION: Do any of the existing smoke systems allow for colored smoke?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
DAMN! Another very expensive toy. . . I so don't do this poor thing well. . . Beer budget & Champagne tastes

OK. . . Dear Santa. . .

It really is everything one could ask for when it comes to this kind of technology; especially for doing haunts and seance work.

A RELATED QUESTION: Do any of the existing smoke systems allow for colored smoke?

Not at the moment. Turns out it's a huge pain to get colored smoke that doesn't stain, isn't toxic, and actually looks good.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Negligible. I've never been called out for the noise of Pure Smoke and from what I can tell, VAPR is quieter so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The way to avoid being called out is to use it in real situations. If you're sitting at home in a small, silent room you'll probably hear it. Outside, or when people are talking, no worries.

Sep 1, 2007
Watching the bickering over these devices makes me so glad I don't spend money on this sort of thing anymore. Too many moving parts.

That said, out of academic curiosity I'm waiting a few months to see reviews from people who don't believe they have a horse in the race to see if VAPR actually solves the problems inherent to these sorts of devices. There's a rant for another time in there, but I digress. What I'm wondering is how many people who buy these things actually end up using them effectively. This is the sort of thing that's really easy to do badly.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Watching the bickering over these devices makes me so glad I don't spend money on this sort of thing anymore. Too many moving parts.

That said, out of academic curiosity I'm waiting a few months to see reviews from people who don't believe they have a horse in the race to see if VAPR actually solves the problems inherent to these sorts of devices. There's a rant for another time in there, but I digress. What I'm wondering is how many people who buy these things actually end up using them effectively. This is the sort of thing that's really easy to do badly.

How do you mean? I can understand how some applications would be significantly better than others, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to use something like this (without getting caught) and have it take away from the magical moment or the effect.

Sep 1, 2007
How do you mean? I can understand how some applications would be significantly better than others, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to use something like this (without getting caught) and have it take away from the magical moment or the effect.

If you got Weta Workshop and Industrial Light and Magic working together on The Lone Ranger, would that have made the movie any less terrible in terms of writing and acting?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results