A Single Needle by Wayne Houchin

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have it sitting on the table right next to me and haven't had the time to watch it. From the trailer and from what I know of needle swallowing, I am 99% sure I already know the method, though.

What kind of things are you looking for in comparison?

What kind of reservations are you having about needle swallowing?

M Sini

Elite Member
Mar 18, 2011
WV
www.marioorsini.com
There's isn't a "gimmick" with Wayne's method. The effect is accomplished through the routine and set-up.

I personally use Scott Alexander's "Needles" routine (with a few changes) in my show which is a genius and VERY safe method for performing the needle swallow. I like Wayne's method and presentation for his effect though. Wayne's version could be performed close-up (though I wouldn't recommend it for strolling). There are certain conditions I can see performing Wayne's version over my usual version.

If you're looking for a single needle routine, this is great. However, if you're looking to swallow multiple needles, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Aug 30, 2012
Hey Christopher, I am just worried that with the homemade gimmick the dangers of swallowing a needle are kinda high and that is what led me to look into the "safe" gimmicks. like Scott Alexander's routine. I'm looking for safety, ease of setup (can I have this set up for a length of time before performing) and how long it will last.

Nov 8, 2007
Hey Christopher, I am just worried that with the homemade gimmick the dangers of swallowing a needle are kinda high and that is what led me to look into the "safe" gimmicks. like Scott Alexander's routine. I'm looking for safety, ease of setup (can I have this set up for a length of time before performing) and how long it will last.
Hi, Austin.

The dangers are not high. If they were Wayne wouldn't be selling this. The method is solid. I'd say Wayne's method is as safe/dangerous as the method in Tarbell is. Learn these methods right, though, and you'll be fine. I've been performing Steve Spill's method in my stage show for years now, and it's always gone great, and I've always felt safe doing it.

If you want to know if you have to actually put a real needle in your mouth to perform Wayne's method, though, then the answer yes, you will.

Hope that helps.

Aug 30, 2012
Hi, Austin.

The dangers are not high. If they were Wayne wouldn't be selling this. The method is solid. I'd say Wayne's method is as safe/dangerous as the method in Tarbell is. Learn these methods right, though, and you'll be fine. I've been performing Steve Spill's method in my stage show for years now, and it's always gone great, and I've always felt safe doing it.

If you want to know if you have to actually put a real needle in your mouth to perform Wayne's method, though, then the answer yes, you will.

Hope that helps.

Hey Mat,

Oh yeah that helps a lot. But do you think the premade gimmicks are worth the money? I don't mind putting a real needle in my mouth...its part of the art. I do plan on doing both the single needle and the multi-needle version for different settings. Just wanting to reduce my chances of getting hurt

Nov 8, 2007
Hey Mat,

Oh yeah that helps a lot. But do you think the premade gimmicks are worth the money? I don't mind putting a real needle in my mouth...its part of the art. I do plan on doing both the single needle and the multi-needle version for different settings. Just wanting to reduce my chances of getting hurt
There aren't any pre-made gimmicks. It's just a DVD teaching you the method. I'm still going to use Steve Spill's method for stage, but I like having this version for close-up/strolling.

Aug 30, 2012
There aren't any pre-made gimmicks. It's just a DVD teaching you the method. I'm still going to use Steve Spill's method for stage, but I like having this version for close-up/strolling.

I had no idea they weren't gimmicks...man do I feel dumb lol anyhow looking forward to getting started. Also Mat what size needles do you recommend?

Nov 8, 2007
I had no idea they weren't gimmicks...man do I feel dumb lol anyhow looking forward to getting started. Also Mat what size needles do you recommend?
Wayne recommends an 8. I use the slightly larger 7s. My recommendation is doing it with the biggest needle you can get away with, and feel comfortable working with. I'd be doing needle swallowing effects with 5s if I could.

Jul 13, 2009
Just want to point out that there is always an inherent risk when performing needle swallowing or razor blade swallowing. I remember reading an article about a magician who didn't know, or they did know don't remember, they swallowed a needle at it worked its way from the esophagus toward the heart. Just you know use your head and know what you are doing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results