Palming.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm going through the Royal Road course for the first time in my seven years of doing magic. About time, right? I'm going through the palming section and thought I'd strike up a good conversation about it. I really don't like the top palm method provided in the book, nor do I like the tricks with it. What top palm and tricks with it do you use? What tips do you have?

Nov 3, 2012
Been waiting on a topic like this!

I was going through RRTCM a couple of months ago when I reached palming. I haven't really progressed since because I just love practicing the palm and finding own variations and routines using it. Maybe that's bad? Is it? Well, anyways. I've really come to like one card top palm. I've been doing it so many times by now that my hands has gotten used to it to the point where I can do it with no problems what so ever. What is it with it that you don't like? You are not the first one who doesn't like it that I know of, but why?

I don't really like the tricks provided either. I was looking for something mor ''striking'' if that makes sense. I have one routine where I ask the spectator if he/she has a good imagination. I talk about it and by using their imagination they make a card jump to my pocket. It's kind of a ''card to pocket'' routine - but its not the focus.

William

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
William,

I'm glad that you like it! I love talking about technique as well. What I don't like about the method described is that it requires a lot of hand movement and a bit of noise. I also have a different timing for the palm. In RRTCM, the authors suggest making the motion of squaring the deck, which is presumably already squared. To combat this, I always palm while squaring up the deck from an overhand shuffle. I've been using the palm from Bill Tarr's book Now You See It, Now You Don't that is more of a push off palm. The RRTCM palm is too impractical. The movement of the thumb is unnecessary.

As far as tricks go, I'm at an impasse when it comes to brainstorming new ones. I'm working on a card to box with a subtlety from Eric Goldfarb that is wonderful. Otherwise, I can't think of anything.

Nov 3, 2012
Isn't the method described there almost the same palm? To me it seems like it has the same amount of thumb movement. In the RRTCM you just do a more ''turned'' push with your thumb whilst a squared push in the other technique described. When I do a push off palm it always seems to me as if my hand is laying flat on the deck and that im just ''sliding'' the card with the hand, which looks awkward.

Could you give me any tips on the push off palm to make it look better?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
In the RRTCM palm, the card is angled and springs up. In the push off, it does slide into your hand, but it is nearly soundless and is better covered, in my opinion. The angled card and the sound of the spring put me off. When I do the palm, I square up a messy deck––not an already squared deck––and push off the card in the first moment of the squaring. It's kind of hard to describe, but I'd be happy to video chat if you'd like. I've only recently picked up palming; it's definitely a new area for me.

Apr 17, 2013
Honestly one I saw Derek Dingle do the top palm at a lecture I was hooked on her version. It is slick and darn near invisible. It;s one of those slights that everyone who is a magician should learn.

Apr 17, 2013
There is one set of Derek Dingle videos. I only picked them up for the lecture notes that came with them. I think he goes over his palm but I learned it from his book.

Nov 3, 2012
Hi, wZEnigma - sorry for not responding since now, it's been a busy week and I forgot about the forums. I would be happy to share some ideas over skype (or whatever program). When's good for you? Im in Sweden so assuming your in the US, there is some pretty rough time differences.

Sep 8, 2012
Well, that depends what kind of palm you need. I personally still use the Erdnase top palm first method. If you want to get into palming a bit more you should definently check out 'if an octopus could palm' by Dan and Dave Buck, and Expert card technique is a book that is a must have, even without the palming section. You can find almost any kind of palm in those two books.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Well, that depends what kind of palm you need. I personally still use the Erdnase top palm first method. If you want to get into palming a bit more you should definently check out 'if an octopus could palm' by Dan and Dave Buck, and Expert card technique is a book that is a must have, even without the palming section. You can find almost any kind of palm in those two books.

For me, the Erdnase methods are too finnicky. Even when Jason England does it, there seems to be too much time when the hands are together. Do you know anywhere I could get the book? It's out of stock everywhere I've seen. It looks amazing though. ECT is something I still have to go through, though I've browsed it briefly.

Nov 3, 2012
You could probably download it from Somewhere. In the trailer for the book they say that they're happy to finally be able to include the book in a public library. If its in a library to loan you could probably find a pdf and download it With a clean conscience.

Apr 17, 2013
You could probably download it from Somewhere. In the trailer for the book they say that they're happy to finally be able to include the book in a public library. If its in a library to loan you could probably find a pdf and download it With a clean conscience.

You mean to download it from the library for the two weeks they let you keep it before the download locks you out or are you saying steal it from a site and it's okay because they have it at the library? If it is the former that if fine if it is the latter then you are telling people to steal and that is just not right.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For me, the Erdnase methods are too finnicky. Even when Jason England does it, there seems to be too much time when the hands are together. Do you know anywhere I could get the book? It's out of stock everywhere I've seen. It looks amazing though. ECT is something I still have to go through, though I've browsed it briefly.

If you think Erdnase's techniques are too finicky then I don't recommend If An Octopus Could Palm. They outright state that several of the techniques are only theoretical and not intended for use in performance due to the handling.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Some certainly are quite good, others are more of a product of a jam session than something someone would use under fire as it were.

Sep 8, 2012
Then the joe berg palm(taught by england on T11) is what you'd need. It's in card control by buckley. But ECT is what you should pick up first.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I've looked at the Berg palm, as I have Card Control, and it seems good but not my style. I've been doing a push-off palm I picked up from "Now You See It, Now You Don't!" by Bill Tarr. It fits the squaring action of the deck, as I almost always palm coming off of an overhand shuffle. I'd love to session with you guys about this, however. Maybe my mind will be changed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results