The Best FREE trick to make a huge impact on someone.

Aug 10, 2016
So recently I've learnt a lot of card tricks that involve sleight of hand, and although they are pretty handy, it's not like they are 100% unnoticeable. Every once in a while somebody will just catch me while performing. So I need a FREE to learn trick that will silence them or make them scream. Any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Speaking as a beginner myself, my number one piece of advice, honestly, is to stop looking for free tricks. If you're really interested in magic, you're going to have to invest some time and money. Start with books like RRTCM and Expert Card Magic to build a confident foundation in a wide variety of common sleights. RealityOne has an excellent list of suggestions here. Once you've gotten that foundation, you can start looking at some of those specific tricks that bridge the gap between beginner and intermediate. Torn and Restored Card Transpo by David Williamson is a fantastic trick, and if presented right should get those killer reactions you're looking for. French Kiss by Wayne Houchin is another phenomenal effect that's easy to learn, and people freak out. Both of those aren't too difficult, but have a huge impact, and the prices are incredibly fair. Really, just look for tricks that suits your style and excite you. Theory11's quality is top-notch, it's hard to go wrong.

To address your other question of being "caught" while performing, I'd make two suggestions. First, most sleights aren't meant to be completely invisible. They are meant to pass unnoticed, but that's because to the audience, the moment should be unimportant. Their attention should be directed anywhere but your hands when you're doing something they aren't meant to see. Make eye contact, say something. Whatever fits the context and draws attention in a natural way. Directing a comment at a spectator and looking them in the eye is a good basic form of misdirection. If we make that natural, no one cares what our hands are doing. Where we look and what we say becomes much more interesting. Which leads into my second point. It sounds like you may be approaching your performances the wrong way. As magicians, we aren't trying to "trick" the audience. The audience shouldn't feel that their goal is to "catch" us. Our goal, as performers and as audience, is to experience magic together. If we build up a connection with our audience, misdirection becomes natural. When we're present with our audience and really connect with them, they can't help but connect with us in return, and that's what makes magic work. Magic doesn't happen in your hands, it happens in their heads. And the best way to help your audience get there is to clear everything else out of the way. Allow them to stop focusing their attention on your hands, let their focus naturally go where it's needed, and magic will happen.

Apollo Robbins has a great Ted Talk on the art of misdirection, and there are numerous other resources available out there. Astonishment is Our Natural State of Mind by Paul Harris is a fantastic article that every magician should read. Pretty sure the article has been made available for free online, I think someone on Ellusionist got permission to post it? Anyway, hope that helps. Best of luck!

Aug 10, 2016
Speaking as a beginner myself, my number one piece of advice, honestly, is to stop looking for free tricks. If you're really interested in magic, you're going to have to invest some time and money. Start with books like RRTCM and Expert Card Magic to build a confident foundation in a wide variety of common sleights. RealityOne has an excellent list of suggestions here. Once you've gotten that foundation, you can start looking at some of those specific tricks that bridge the gap between beginner and intermediate. Torn and Restored Card Transpo by David Williamson is a fantastic trick, and if presented right should get those killer reactions you're looking for. French Kiss by Wayne Houchin is another phenomenal effect that's easy to learn, and people freak out. Both of those aren't too difficult, but have a huge impact, and the prices are incredibly fair. Really, just look for tricks that suits your style and excite you. Theory11's quality is top-notch, it's hard to go wrong.

To address your other question of being "caught" while performing, I'd make two suggestions. First, most sleights aren't meant to be completely invisible. They are meant to pass unnoticed, but that's because to the audience, the moment should be unimportant. Their attention should be directed anywhere but your hands when you're doing something they aren't meant to see. Make eye contact, say something. Whatever fits the context and draws attention in a natural way. Directing a comment at a spectator and looking them in the eye is a good basic form of misdirection. If we make that natural, no one cares what our hands are doing. Where we look and what we say becomes much more interesting. Which leads into my second point. It sounds like you may be approaching your performances the wrong way. As magicians, we aren't trying to "trick" the audience. The audience shouldn't feel that their goal is to "catch" us. Our goal, as performers and as audience, is to experience magic together. If we build up a connection with our audience, misdirection becomes natural. When we're present with our audience and really connect with them, they can't help but connect with us in return, and that's what makes magic work. Magic doesn't happen in your hands, it happens in their heads. And the best way to help your audience get there is to clear everything else out of the way. Allow them to stop focusing their attention on your hands, let their focus naturally go where it's needed, and magic will happen.

Apollo Robbins has a great Ted Talk on the art of misdirection, and there are numerous other resources available out there. Astonishment is Our Natural State of Mind by Paul Harris is a fantastic article that every magician should read. Pretty sure the article has been made available for free online, I think someone on Ellusionist got permission to post it? Anyway, hope that helps. Best of luck!
Yes, that is true. Paid tricks are obviously better. But hey, I'm 14 years old and I don't have my own credit card, as you see. And there is a limit to what my parents an buy for me. So till I get a card, I need mostly free tricks.

Nov 6, 2016
Yes, that is true. Paid tricks are obviously better. But hey, I'm 14 years old and I don't have my own credit card, as you see. And there is a limit to what my parents an buy for me. So till I get a card, I need mostly free tricks.
See if you can make some extra money, I'm younger than you and still make money to buy tricks. I give my parents the money and use their paypal to order it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign

I wouldn't say paid tricks are better. Magic, like every hobby; you have to pay to play in some way shape or form.

However, the most expensive trick out there is certainly NOT the best one--it's just expensive.

Also, the hardest tricks are not the best either. The difference in audience reactions to a good Ambitious Card routine to a Raise Rise (hardest card trick out there) routine isn't going to vary very much.

What really matters is how well you can do a particular trick and your routine. Your ability to overall entertain your audience in your own way.

I'd HIGHLY suggest to stay away from YouTube for 'free tricks'. Most times, the people teaching them are doing it wrong. There are some reputable names (namely 52Kards), but if highly recommend the book route. Don't go with DVDs unless there is a move that you absolutely cannot conduct your life without it.

Reactions: Lindel
I know of one that I may put up a YouTube tutorial sometime. It doesn't require any sleight of hand and leads into an awesome mentalism bit involving cards. Until I upload it, you are more than welcome to message me and we discuss more about it if you think it would be something you are interested in.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If you are starting off, get Scarne on Card Tricks -- it is around $13. The effects don't require sleight of hand, only a little thinking and presentation.

I'd also recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course. It is around $15 and is an amazing book. The Card College books are a little more expensive at $35 each. The first two are a great start.

As a parent of a 14 year old, I think that most parents would gladly buy their child a couple of books (instead of video games or electronics), especially if you celebrate Christmas or another holiday this time of year.

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
I'd definitely agree that paid doesn't always mean better, and more difficult doesn't always mean more impressive. One of my favorite tricks is still my Ambitious Card Routine, which I originally based off Asad's tutorial on 52Kards. I've tweaked it over time, and you could argue that I've actually simplified it, but the audience can't tell how easy it is, and they don't care. It still blows their minds.

On the subject of YouTube tutorials, I'd second everyone else in recommending that you avoid them for the most part. 52Kards can be a helpful supplement, but you'll be a lot better off in the long run with books as your primary foundation.

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
If you're after free tricks, sign up to magic websites. They offer sample tricks. Penguin magic give away 12 free magic tricks, click on the link on the main page. Vanishing Inc also have free magic downloads, currently about 20 on the website. These should be a good start and just build on it.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Plenty of free magic available here in the T11 marketplace! You can even adjust the filter to search for FREE EFFECTS ONLY.

I have a fun color changing deck effect available here that may be of some use to you!
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/michael-obrien/dicewave

Though I do agree with the posts above, look for something you really like and even if you have to pay for it, it may be worth it to fork up the money. Books will always be an excellent choice because you will alway have something new to learn!

I would avoid youtube like the plague.... a lot of bad magic on there. Though it is free, you will quickly learn about 98% of it isn't much to actually learn or benefit you.... the other 2% are channels like; 52Kards, Mismagg, etc... Those are the only ones id really suggest....

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Nov 29, 2016
there are a handful of tricks shown on the marketplace here for free, not many but at least enough to get you started. You could also check out some guides on youtube, and Reddit's r/magic has some good places to start as well. That being said, you are going to end up spending money eventually. If you can't get your parents to buy stuff, maybe try doing little side jobs (mowing lawns, shoveling snow, etc., depending on where you're located) and then putting that money onto a pre-paid visa/mastercard/whatever and buying them that way.

Oct 19, 2015
When I started a couple of years ago, I first got a copy of "Mark Wilson's Complete Course..." (Found a used copy for like $8 on amazon) In that book are a number of great tricks that you do not have to buy! You do have to purchase some rope and maybe some cards, and sponge balls...I started working cups and balls with plastic Solo cups and cotton balls, etc.. etc......but the cost is minimal. The real cost is time, as lots of practice is the only real way to learn magic.

I really love rope tricks and finally I have learned to work with sponge balls, that took some time practicing in front of a mirror. Also, the libraries usually have lots of good books including Mark Wilson's.....

Good Luck

Reactions: RealityOne
Jul 30, 2015
I'm not trying to be flippant but the best place to go for free magic is still the library. You can get many of the classics on book or DVD.

This. If you can't afford to purchase anything, there is a good chance that your local public library has some excellent books and/or DVDs available. If not, ask the librarian to bring some of them in.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Forget the credit card. I couldn't wait to get one, even though I was asked not to by co-workers. I was young and stupid (not saying you are lol) it ruined my credit.
Christmas is coming...ask for gift cards to your favorite magic sites (Theory11) or a prepaid credit card where once it's maxed...it's done.
I hope I helped...Cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results