Where do i start in mentalism?

Mar 15, 2017
I've read colossal killer and fundamentals (great books) but I don't think that is enough. Are there any suggestions?

Oct 6, 2016
Portugal
13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda and Practical Mental Magic by Theodore Annemann are solid, must have books on mentalism.

Other books like Psychological Subtleties by Banachek, The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Pure Effect by Derren Brown and Mind, Myth & Magick by T.A Waters are also good additions.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The question is how do you perform mentalism? Are you doing it alongside magic or are you doing it separately. There are a lot of great resources for both. @DL360 suggested some great books.

I would pick up Anneman's Practical Mental Magic, Karl Fulves Self Working Mental Magic and Max Maven's Prism next.

Then The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy.

Then 13 Steps.

Then Psychological Subtleties

Then Pure Effect and Mind, Myth and Magick (if you can find it).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
David's post is spot on.

Also note - in the back of Fundamentals, there should be a list of 39 books that Cassidy recommends every mentalist read.

The most important thing you need to learn about mentalism is that it is not magic. If you perform mentalism as if it were magic, you will not get the results you are after. The result of well performed mentalism will often be more like stunned silence than shouting and running around.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
These guys have given you tons of great resources. One thing I may add is that you may want to sprinkle a mentalism effect into your strolling sets. I have 3 different sets of 3 and each one has 1 mentalism effect. I prefer to use this approach rather than mentalism, mentalism, over and over. It can get repetitive or boring for some audiences if the magician does not know how to engage them properly and create that emotional "hook" if you will.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
These guys have given you tons of great resources. One thing I may add is that you may want to sprinkle a mentalism effect into your strolling sets. I have 3 different sets of 3 and each one has 1 mentalism effect. I prefer to use this approach rather than mentalism, mentalism, over and over. It can get repetitive or boring for some audiences if the magician does not know how to engage them properly and create that emotional "hook" if you will.

This seems to be the path most mentalists take. The Derren Brown's and Paul Draper's of the world have very strong foundations in magic, they then transitioned into mentalism over a period of time.

Reactions: RickEverhart

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
For additional resources search for previous threads on this topic, but I'm sure what is given above will get you well on your way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results