What do you think about my magic library?

Dec 28, 2017
So, currently I own 5 books about magic.
They are:

"Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks" - Nicholas Einhorn
"How to do Magic Tricks" - Nicholas Einhorn
"101 Amazing Card Tricks" - Bob Longe
"Modern Coin Magic" - J.B Bobo
"Royal Road to Card Magic" - Jean

How many of these books/authors do you know? How many books do you have? How good are these books in your opinion? Thank you

I own RRtCM and Modern Coin Magic from your list and have read How to do Magic Tricks at a local library. Other books that I own that I would recommend are Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Encyclopedia of Mentalism+Mentalists (basically a combination of 13 Steps to Mentalism and Mind Readers and Psychics), The Approach, Art of Astonishment volumes, and Joshua Jay's Course in Magic. I have a few other books as well as many other booklets and magazines but those are my recommendations for starting out.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Dec 28, 2017
I own RRtCM and Modern Coin Magic from your list and have read How to do Magic Tricks at a local library. Other books that I own that I would recommend are Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Encyclopedia of Mentalism+Mentalists (basically a combination of 13 Steps to Mentalism and Mind Readers and Psychics), The Approach, Art of Astonishment volumes, and Joshua Jay's Course in Magic. I have a few other books as well as many other booklets and magazines but those are my recommendations for starting out.
Are you talking about Nicholas Einhorn's book?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
From this list, I own the Royal Road, and I have access to Bobo as an ebook from my local library all the time. I have seen a lot of Nicholas's work but don't own anything from him.

The RR is a great beginner's book that I really like.

Along with some of Tyler's suggestions, I recommend Scarne on Card Tricks, the Encyclopedia of Card Magic, and Expert Card Technique. Along with Bobo, those are the books I'm working through rn or planning on working through them soon (I'm going back through these & skimming through the Royal Road because I had to take a break from magic for a few months, and want to re-learn material before progressing). I also plan on eventually tackling Expert at the Card table, which is now way easier than when I first tried reading it (not a book to begin with. At all). Mark Wilson's course is amazing.

My favorite book that I own is Ed Marlo's Revolutionary Card Magic. It is such an interesting way of looking at things and has really influenced the way I handle cards.

Those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head, I think I may have a few more.

I plan on buying a few books, mainly the older ones that I can get my hands on. I want to learn a bit of mentalism or mental magic too, so I'll probably be picking up something from there.

I also love reading through old magic magazines, like Jinx!

My dad accidentally put all my magic books into a shelf somewhere recently, thinking that they were old books, and doesn't know where... I gotta go find them. Gonna go do that right now.

How are Einhorn's books?

P.S. 1 thing I just remembered, I have the first volume or 2 of Tarbell. A pretty hard read, but lots of good info!

Reactions: kingdamian1
Dec 28, 2017
From this list, I own the Royal Road, and I have access to Bobo as an ebook from my local library all the time. I have seen a lot of Nicholas's work but don't own anything from him.

The RR is a great beginner's book that I really like.

Along with some of Tyler's suggestions, I recommend Scarne on Card Tricks, the Encyclopedia of Card Magic, and Expert Card Technique. Along with Bobo, those are the books I'm working through rn or planning on working through them soon (I'm going back through these & skimming through the Royal Road because I had to take a break from magic for a few months, and want to re-learn material before progressing). I also plan on eventually tackling Expert at the Card table, which is now way easier than when I first tried reading it (not a book to begin with. At all). Mark Wilson's course is amazing.

My favorite book that I own is Ed Marlo's Revolutionary Card Magic. It is such an interesting way of looking at things and has really influenced the way I handle cards.

Those are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head, I think I may have a few more.

I plan on buying a few books, mainly the older ones that I can get my hands on. I want to learn a bit of mentalism or mental magic too, so I'll probably be picking up something from there.

I also love reading through old magic magazines, like Jinx!

My dad accidentally put all my magic books into a shelf somewhere recently, thinking that they were old books, and doesn't know where... I gotta go find them. Gonna go do that right now.

How are Einhorn's books?

P.S. 1 thing I just remembered, I have the first volume or 2 of Tarbell. A pretty hard read, but lots of good info!

OMG... YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON SO MUCH if you do not have Einhorn's books...
I recommend "Illustrated Compendium of Magic tricks"... It is THOROUGHLY illustrated... Has illustrated history of magic and magicians... And branches of magic (MENTALISM included), even stage magic...

Teaches all the sleights required for coin magic card magic etc etc... Clever puzzles or practical jokes...
It has simpler, self working tricks...
And it has tricks requiring more skill....
Illustrated history of magicians and each field of magic...
It is a thing to HAVE!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
OMG... YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON SO MUCH if you do not have Einhorn's books...
I recommend "Illustrated Compendium of Magic tricks"... It is THOROUGHLY illustrated... Has illustrated history of magic and magicians... And branches of magic (MENTALISM included), even stage magic...

Teaches all the sleights required for coin magic card magic etc etc... Clever puzzles or practical jokes...
It has simpler, self working tricks...
And it has tricks requiring more skill....
Illustrated history of magicians and each field of magic...
It is a thing to HAVE!
Good to know. Sounds a lot like Mark Wilson's Course. It's actually pretty cheap, I might pick it up :)

Dec 28, 2017
Good to know. Sounds a lot like Mark Wilson's Course. It's actually pretty cheap, I might pick it up :)

Mark Wilson's book has illustrations in sketches... This has HD illustrations... Step by step and history of magic and magicians... Also, history of each magic branch...
It is like watching a video, but you can fast forward whenever you want... Trust me... You will not regret it!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Aug 15, 2017
Just asking, I see SO MANY recommending Mark Wilsons that I wanna get it.
But am afraid that it will have beginner-level stuff?
Since you have it, do tell me if I am being
A) Idiot
B) Arrogant and egoistic in classifying myself as a non-beginner (I was gonna use 'Jibrizy' for the egoistic part but, gotta admit he is not a beginner *sigh*)
C) Ignorant

Because I have a feeling I just CAN'T be correct if so many of you guys recommend Mark Wilsons' book.

Reactions: kingdamian1
A) Idiot
B) Arrogant and egoistic in classifying myself as a non-beginner (I was gonna use 'Jibrizy' for the egoistic part but, gotta admit he is not a beginner *sigh*)
C) Ignorant

Because I have a feeling I just CAN'T be correct if so many of you guys recommend Mark Wilsons' book.
The thing about Mark Wilson's Complete Course is that it's good for beginners because it has the beginning steps for most genres of magic in it but it's much more than that. Complete Course is a spectrum of content all the way from how to do the Overhand Shuffle to how to perform stage illusions. It's like a condensed version of the Tarbell Course but there is so much workable material in the material you will definitely get something out of it if you buy it. I wouldn't say it's a book solely for beginners, it's just that beginners should definitely look into it if they want a good idea of all the different genres of magic.

So yeah I definitely think you should get it because there is a ton of workable material in it for any skill level.

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My boss at work gave me the Complete Course and I really like it! There was a lot that I was already learning from Royal Road but so much more. I felt that the illustrations were a lot better in the Mark Wilson book than in Royal Road as well.

Jun 1, 2009
My boss at work gave me the Complete Course and I really like it! There was a lot that I was already learning from Royal Road but so much more. I felt that the illustrations were a lot better in the Mark Wilson book than in Royal Road as well.
You have an awesome boss!

Reactions: Mattxdfa
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A) Idiot
C) Ignorant

It's a beginners course BUT it is a beginners course in all magic.

I'll be honest, you probably won't use too many of the card techniques here that you didn't already, but there are some interesting plots and tricks that you can use.

However, Mark WIlson covers so much more. Each chapter offers a basic cover of the entire subject that would let you have an all around understanding of each. It is illustrated and has relatively modern text (it was written in the 1975. If you could understand Return of the Jedi, or any old TV show that was good, you can understand this. It is illustrated nicely to give you a visual idea too. And it's pretty cheap. Each chapter will walk you through the basics of working with:

Cards (10 chapters; Basic handling, Self-workers, hindu shuffle tricks, overhand tricks, Forcing, DL tricks, Glide tricks, Short Cards, Giant cards, and flourishes, and then something called "Genie Cards")

Money (both coins and bills)

Rope magic

Handkerchief & Silk

Impromptu magic (with random items like rubber bands, paper clips, money, etc.)

Mental magic

Betchas (puzzles and bets that can be turned into tricks)

Sponge Balls

Cups and Balls

Make at home (assembling gimmicks)

Illusions (stage magic type human illusions)

Basically, if you can learn the things from this book, you will be pretty well rounded in magic. Plus, most of these can still be done today, or they can be applied to do so.

Reactions: Lord Magic

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
Wilson's book should be in every serious magic library.

Another one that I would recommend that is available for very little is The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. You don't see it discussed very much but it is well written and illustrated and covers a surprising number of topics.

Jul 28, 2015
Mysterios Encyclopedia of Magic and Conjuring is another great book which I think has fallen under the radar and not many people talk about, it's designed to be a "beginners" course, filled with many great effects techniques and principles I would say it even has some intermediate material, guys do yourself a favor and pick this book up...
https://www.google.com.pr/search?q=mysterio's+encyclopedia+of+magic+and+conjuring&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFm6iwktbYAhXk24MKHdpVAysQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=559#imgrc=MBdLLS0KhmPRUM:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So, currently I own 5 books about magic.
They are:

"Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks" - Nicholas Einhorn
"How to do Magic Tricks" - Nicholas Einhorn
"101 Amazing Card Tricks" - Bob Longe
"Modern Coin Magic" - J.B Bobo
"Royal Road to Card Magic" - Jean

How many of these books/authors do you know?

How good are these books in your opinion?

As others have said Bobo and Hugard are classic texts. Although the effects are great, the writing is a bit dated. The Einhorn books are good. I've never heard of Bob Longe.

How many books do you have? How good are these books in your opinion? Thank you

171 at last count.

But am afraid that it will have beginner-level stuff?....Because I have a feeling I just CAN'T be correct if so many of you guys recommend Mark Wilsons' book.

I could do easily do an hour long show using material in Mark Wilson's book. As @Maaz Hasan pointed out, it has a bit of everything. I've performed Bigger Card, the Corner Tear, Bill in Lemon, Tic Tac Toe, the Perfect Force, Three Way Test, Coin through Leg and the Chapstick Caper. There is great stuff in there on double backed, double faced and short cards.

If I could only have three magic books, it would be one of them.

Aug 15, 2017
As others have said Bobo and Hugard are classic texts. Although the effects are great, the writing is a bit dated. The Einhorn books are good. I've never heard of Bob Longe.

171 at last count.

I could do easily do an hour long show using material in Mark Wilson's book. As @Maaz Hasan pointed out, it has a bit of everything. I've performed Bigger Card, the Corner Tear, Bill in Lemon, Tic Tac Toe, the Perfect Force, Three Way Test, Coin through Leg and the Chapstick Caper. There is great stuff in there on double backed, double faced and short cards.

If I could only have three magic books, it would be one of them.
the other two?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results