The Best trick from Mark Wilson’s Complete Course in Magic

May 13, 2020
I’ve read a lot of posts in these forums that recommend Mark Wilson for beginners, so I decided to check it out, and let me say that not only does it seem like it’s a great book of magic, but I found that it had an immediate return on my investment. Allow me to explain:

While shopping for it, I noticed that Amazon had a lot of resellers that had Like New copies for less than $10, so I thought it would be prudent to save a couple of bucks and purchase a gently used copy for $7 after shipping and taxes.

My copy arrived today, and while flipping through it I found two 20-dollar bills tucked in between two of the pages in the Money Magic section.

In only a couple of months of learning magic, I’m already up $33 and I haven’t even performed a single effect yet. If that isn’t a sign that I picked the right hobby, I don’t know what is!

May 13, 2020
Was that "Bill from Nowhere" on page 223? That's why its better to use playing cards as bookmarks. :cool:

You know, I was so excited I didn't take note of the actual page, but I can tell you with 100% certainty it was somewhere within Money Magic.

While you are reading the book, my favorites are Bigger Card, Bill in Lemon, Tic Tac Toe, Chapstick Caper!

Appreciate the tips! I had started with RRTCM originally, and while I do think it's a great resource, it had just become a bit of a slog. I also knew that I wanted to learn more than just cards. Incidentally, how would you recommend I tackle the course? Should I read it cover to cover or would it be better to jump around? I guess a better way to put it would be, should I learn everything in one section before moving on to another or should I learn a little cards, then move to money, and so on?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Incidentally, how would you recommend I tackle the course? Should I read it cover to cover or would it be better to jump around? I guess a better way to put it would be, should I learn everything in one section before moving on to another or should I learn a little cards, then move to money, and so on?

I would read the book through cover to cover, taking note of what effects you want to learn to perform (writing page numbers, using post-it notes, sticking in playing cards or $20 bills). By reading it, you get a master class in both methods and in how effects are constructed. Essentially, it teaches how magic works. Even if you don't learn an effect to perform it, knowing the method allows you to build a base of knowledge that will allow you to customize other effects that you learn.

Oh, and my only caveat for the book, don't point at the hand where the object is supposed to be (but isn't).

Sep 18, 2020
A great book for any magician - ideas can be pulled from within the pages with ease. Bill in Lemon, used that to close shows. Simple section on coins. Sponge Balls are cool, and there are some quick tricks in the impromptu section. Overall, this is a real investment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results