Cerca Trova Ideas

May 28, 2008
Development of magic

I think we should have a topic on the development of magic.

I think magic can be different the types of magic that is done now can change to become more real more believable in society.

Magic can change but I dont know what to and how.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
After seeing a post in the general discussion I think a Cerca Trova should deal with the term 'purist'.

What is a purist?
Is it someone who doesn't use gimmicks at all?
Is it a state of mind, an approach to magic?
Is it an ego-driven approach?
Though harder, is it better to be able to do everything, anything impromptu? (I remember reading a thread in the card magic forum about a guy who did a haunted deck, and when approached to do it again didn't have any loops...didn't know a way to do it otherwise...it ended up hurting him and letting down a spectator that had been raving about him)

I think if everyone stays respectful it could be a very good topic to discuss.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
After seeing a post in the general discussion I think a Cerca Trova should deal with the term 'purist'.

What is a purist?
Though harder, is it better to be able to do everything, anything impromptu? (I remember reading a thread in the card magic forum about a guy who did a haunted deck, and when approached to do it again didn't have any loops...didn't know a way to do it otherwise...it ended up hurting him and letting down a spectator that had been raving about him)

I second this motion!

Mar 30, 2008
DC
I think there could more more forums. A general off-topic forum maybe. A forum for people to post their own tricks and get feedback. A reputation bar and names for people with over 'x' amount of posts would be nice too.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think there could more more forums. A general off-topic forum maybe. A forum for people to post their own tricks and get feedback. A reputation bar and names for people with over 'x' amount of posts would be nice too.

Uhh, that's great and all, but this is the topic for Cerca Trova ideas. :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
I think it would be nice to look at magic from an actor's standpoint. Perhaps we could look into things that we can do as performers to enhance our magic.

There is a whole range of things we could discuss, and not necessarily just developing patter, but projection, eye contact, our body language, and what those things instill in our audience. Or just in general how we can instill feeling in our audience.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Essays and interviews with the leading lights of today's magic scene.
Imagine...
An essay on utilising misdirection to its full potential by david stone!
An interview with Dave Forrest or Jay Sankey on creativity!
Apollo Robbins on audience management, Joshua Jay on writing, Derren Brown or Banachek on the evolution of medern mentalism...

An ongoing series of informative, educational, and actually interesting articles, on the subjects that REALLY matter to us, as artists!
That would be amazing.

C!

May 10, 2008

What is a purist?

I third this motion!

Sep 2, 2007
Maybe something theory11 specific? for example, an in depth discussion on the 1on1 concept and how it's a revolutionary way to learn magic...

Exactly how is it revolutionary? Besides, it's not very T11-specific if you ask me, Penguin Magic did it first, using the name "instant downloads".

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Jonas:

Maybe it's revolutionary because they managed to package the "instant downloads" thing into something that many believe to be new and exciting.

Cerca Trova idea: Where is Theory11 headed?

- harapan. magic!

Sep 2, 2007
Maybe it's revolutionary because they managed to package the "instant downloads" thing into something that many believe to be new and exciting.

By using different advertising techniques, you can make anything seem new it seems.

Sep 1, 2007
oh my god, did you guys see Joel Pashcall's new AMAZING false pivot cut. it is so weak.

Seriously there are over 100 free tutorials for cuts that are much better than this one.

Why does theory11 have to resort to such weak crud to get their $5 from the kiddies. Why not actually hire someone GOOD (like have Andrei teach a cool display)

another example is "flo" or whatever it's just a dribble pointed sideways. what the hell.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
So don't buy it, it's that simple, dumb ass. There's no need to complain. For beginners like me, it was a nice cut to start out with. If it's not your style, or your skill level, just don't buy it. :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I agree with you, but I think you are IN LOVE with joel paschall :p I'm telling this taking almost all your post where he is menctioned and there you go to defend him, admire, love, etc. :p

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I agree with you, but I think you are IN LOVE with joel paschall :p I'm telling this taking almost all your post where he is menctioned and there you go to defend him, admire, love, etc. :p

Nah, I'm not in love with him. But having met him and got to hang out with him, I know he's a really good guy, and doesn't deserve half the crap he gets on here. Me and him are homies... fo real. ;)

I think we should do a cerca trova about misdirection.
In my opinion, misdirection is what separates a good magician from a gret magician. Because, anyone can do sleights, with some practise... But the secret is in the presentation and misdirection. Almost all sleights can be revealed, or at least flashed, if the spectators are really burning the cards, so misdirection is really key.
So I think it will be interesting to see how different magicians think about misdirection, and most importantly, how do they practise misdirection. There are lots of tricks that are really all about misdirection (a simple example is the Invisible Palm).

oh my god, did you guys see Joel Pashcall's new AMAZING false pivot cut. it is so weak.

Seriously there are over 100 free tutorials for cuts that are much better than this one.

Why does theory11 have to resort to such weak crud to get their $5 from the kiddies. Why not actually hire someone GOOD (like have Andrei teach a cool display)

another example is "flo" or whatever it's just a dribble pointed sideways. what the hell.

What the hell yourself... Learn to write and comment properly before criticizing other people.
If you don't like Joel's new 1on1, or any DVD, book, etc. you can say it politely, and also explain why you didn't like it, so people can learn from your so called review.
So go spend your precious 5$ on something else and leave us alone.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results