Magic With the iPhone // Technology and... Magic?

Magic with the iPhone DVD + CD-ROM

Product Information
Price: $19.35
Run Time: Approx. 77 minutes
Starring: Nicholas Byrd
Produced/Created: Magic City and Byrd & Coats Productions

MJM Product Page said:
Introducing the very first DVD dedicated to the iPhone and iPod Touch! Enjoy an interactive ride into the magic of iPhone with your host, Nick Byrd. A full-length, full-feature DVD that makes learning iPhone magic easy!

You'll discover new and unusual ways to use your iPhone and perform some of this world's most unique street magic!

iHotrod: Turn your iPhone into a Hotrod, with a twist! A spectator picks one of six colored dots from the screen. To prove you knew she was going to pick the yellow dot, all of the dots turn yellow and a note with today's date says, "You will choose yellow!"

iWallet: After showing off your virtual wallet, you're able to remove any one of the items inside, right out of the phone! You'll never leave home without it!

iATM: Same idea as the "iWallet," but you explain the newest iPhone feature is your own personal ATM. Show a picture of a twenty and magically pull one from the phone. No lines or transaction fees!

X-Ray: Go deep and demonstrate the new iPhone X-Ray feature with a quick x-ray of your own empty hand! Uh oh, it's not an exact match. There's something round in the image. Remove the phone from your hand and an actual coin appears!

iConic: Use the icons from your home screen to perform a cool prediction effect!

Lovely Assistant: A chosen card is lost in the deck. After many attempts, you're unable to locate the card so you ask your lovely assistant for help. She appears on the screen and reveals the chosen card, washing away any doubt of your powers!

Telecommunication: Why do all the work yourself? A random person from your phone's contact list finds the spectator's freely chosen card! The spectator makes the call, not you!

Card from iPhone: That's right, pull a chosen card right out of your phone!

Princess Card Trick: A classic, now better than ever and in your face on iPhone! The spectator just thinks of one of six cards. The iPhone goes to work and makes the spectator's card VANISH!

Penny to Dime: A penny, displayed on the screen of your iPhone, magically changes into a dime! But wait, the penny you were holding under the phone also turns into a dime! An amazing effect that comes complete with a special gimmick.

Wallpaper Magic: Use your iPhone wallpaper to perform a trick. Now you're ready to perform whenever opportunity calls!

This amazing magic set for your iPhone includes a DVD with more than 70 minutes of professional quality video, a CD-ROM (PC and MAC Compatible) containing video and picture files ready to load on your iPhone or iPod Touch, plus the special Penny gimmick for Penny to Dime! Works on both PCs and MACs!

Production Quality
Video Quality: When watching the DVD you'll realize Theory11 spoils us with they're amazing HD quality. This DVD is very clear but, nothing compared to Theory11. But, the quality of video is right up there.

Teaching: The teaching in this is actually very exceptional. It is usually from your on Point of View (P.O.V) so, learning is very simple. Nicholas Byrd, explains everything you need to know. If your a beginner, or pro you'll be able to learn. I was very, very pleased with the teaching. It is close-up, clear, and from your own P.O.V most of the time.

DVD Layout/Effects.: I must say this was a very easy video to follow. The DVD Menu is simple, and doesn't have any chapters but, every effect has it's own selection so you'll be able to find a single effect very easily. The transitions in this video, are very simple and kind of lame but, it really doesn't matter. During the presentations, since it's hard to show everything, you see the presentation and a little close-up shot of the iPhone in the bottom right hand corner. A very nice touch. No stone is left un-turned, you should know, and see everything that's happening.

Overall:It's a very good DVD. You can follow everything clearly, and see and hear everything at all times. You should be able to learn every effect with ease. There's not much more to be said, pretty good quality.

The Effects
iHotrod: If you know the classic Hotrod effect than this is essentially the same, except on your iPhone/Touch. Very easy to do, and very visual. If you don't want to carry around an extra prop, this is awesome.

iWallet/iATM: Man, so visual, and amazing. I will perform this alot. You visually pull a bill, your ID, or a gift card FROM YOUR iPhone/Touch. It is so simple to do, and all you really need is to set-up your files on your computer properly. You'll love this.

X-Ray: This is very simple, and not really a "magic" effect but, looks very cool. There is another version with a coin revelation which is very sweet. I've done it a few times already to family members and it works like a charm.

iConic: It is basically a self-working effect. All you need to do is remember your patter, which is specific, and your set. This is an impossible mentalism feat right on your iPhone/Touch. If your ever asked to do a quick trick, this is it, simple, in your face, awesome.

Lovely Assistant/iWash: Oh boy....This effect is a card revelation, in a very...sexy...manner. I advise only performing this for guys. Trust me on this one...

Telecommunication: This effect is an opener. There is a lot of set-up involved, and a buddy in on the action. But, it really is a miracle. I have yet to perform this but, if you do it can really be a reputation maker. This is truly awesome, if you put the effort into it.

Card from iPhone: Exactly how it sounds. Visual as visual could be. You can do it with only 1 card, and depending how you do the effect you MAY require a dupe. Although this is one of the reasons I bought the DVD, it is well worth it. Your audience will flip right out.

Penny to Dime:You get your penny gimmick with the DVD taped on the inside so be careful not to lose it. This is a cool effect but, can only be done with a Blue Bicycle deck. You'll find out why. It is a very cool concept and will work if you take the time, and add a little something to your iPhone/Touch. A neat effect, although I may not ever perform this due to the "deck" restrictions.

Wallpaper Magic: A very simple effect. Not the greatest in the world but, works well on laymen.

iPurse:Not included above, you visually pull an American Half dollar from your iPhone/Touch. It is SO easy to do, and extremely visual. A great piece of magic.

Additional Information
Everything you need to perform these effects come on a CD-ROM. That includes all of the photo's you need, and video clips (you do not get a iPhone/Touch so keep dreaming :p). They take up barely any room on your iPhone/Touch so don't worry. It's not like they're 1 gig files.

The total amount for all Photo/Video files is:

Videos: 30.6 MB

Photos: 16.2 MB

It is a tad tricky putting the photos on so if you need additional help feel free to pm me.

Now, all of these effects do work on the iPod Touch. The only issue is some photo's, and beginning of videos are screenshots of a screen from an iPhone with lots of applications including camera, texting and calling which we don't have. If you have a Touch I recommend buying the January Software Upgrade and moving your icons to look like the one's in the photos and videos.

Also, all of the money tricks, use American bills and coins. You will need an American Half Dollar, American 5,20, or 1. And even an American dime. Unless you create your own photo's then this is something you'll have to work your patter, and money situation around. There is tips on the DVD near the beginning, regarding sizing issues, and picture quality of photo's if your going to change or import them.

You should also invest in a case, which is small, and slips on and off easily. Watch the DVD for an idea for iPhone users, and if you own a Touch, you should find some very slim "jelly" cases for cheap.

Final Thoughts
I think this DVD is truly awesome. If you own an iPhone/Touch pick this up. Seriously, it's about 20 dollars, very cheap, and you get some great effects you can carry around in your pocket all day.

This is the perfect magician's assistant. Trust me, easy to do, visual, and super modern. This is modern street magic at it's finest.

-RA69.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks so much for the review, it was awesome. I've been looking for effects to use with my ipod touch, I did however find tricks on hottrix.com but this is something to check out also. Thanks very good review.

-Justin

Sep 22, 2007
the only thing im wary about is well like when pulling half dollars out and things i don't really wants strangers screwing up my touch or cards like on top of the screen i want to keep it safe do any of these effects require maybe like scratching i dont mean purposely but like if your like sliding coin on it i mean i dont know is that how the tricks are

the only thing im wary about is well like when pulling half dollars out and things i don't really wants strangers screwing up my touch or cards like on top of the screen i want to keep it safe do any of these effects require maybe like scratching i dont mean purposely but like if your like sliding coin on it i mean i dont know is that how the tricks are

Your Touch won't be ruined if you buy a case. When you pull out the half dollars they aren't on top of the Touch. So, if you buy a case you should be fine. Plus, spectators will be so enthused with the fact you made something come out of your Touch they'll be checking the item instead.

Awesome! I just got my iPod Touch!How much memory does it all take up though?

I will take a quick gander into Itunes and check for you.....

Ok, here is the total amount for all Photo's/Videos:

It is a very, very small fraction of your memory. So, don't worry about that.

-RA69

Your Touch won't be ruined if you buy a case. When you pull out the half dollars they aren't on top of the Touch. So, if you buy a case you should be fine. Plus, spectators will be so enthused with the fact you made something come out of your Touch they'll be checking the item instead.

I will take a quick gander into Itunes and check for you.....

Ok, here is the total amount for all Photo's/Videos:

It is a very, very small fraction of your memory. So, don't worry about that.

-RA69

Ok I think I might buy it then! Also I have been having trouble finding the website to get it. Can you please post a link of the website?

-IKnowMagic

Sep 2, 2007
Guys, don;t be scared to scratch your touch. YOU CANNOT SCRATCH THE TOP SCREEN WITH A COIN. The screens can't be scratched with a razer, I don;t think a coin will do anythiung.

Oct 8, 2007
Hey, you said you found the files on iTunes? Now I don't really use iTunes but I am aware of it so does that mean we can still get the files from there instead of the CD ROM?

I know I asked about the files but is there any chance that there are compatible versions of the videos and pictures for Nokia phones? There are other DVD's and effects that generally are for other phones but the effects above are kind of interesting. I'd like to be able to do those as well, if it's possible.

Hey, you said you found the files on iTunes? Now I don't really use iTunes but I am aware of it so does that mean we can still get the files from there instead of the CD ROM?

I know I asked about the files but is there any chance that there are compatible versions of the videos and pictures for Nokia phones? There are other DVD's and effects that generally are for other phones but the effects above are kind of interesting. I'd like to be able to do those as well, if it's possible.

I never said that I found the files on iTunes. All of the files you get come on a CD-ROM, which you can import into itunes. But, doing it with the photos can be tricky.

Also, I don't know if they're compatible with Nokia Phones. I have a Motorola KRZR so, I have no experience with Nokia phones. I would say the files may work but, they are specified for being on an iPhone or iTouch.

-RA69

Oct 8, 2007
Oh ok ok, sorry about that. Thanks for clarifying.

One last question pls. Is there a way to convert the files so it can be played or viewed through other phones or systems? Same goes for other effects that send you a CD ROM with the files in it.

Oh ok ok, sorry about that. Thanks for clarifying.

One last question pls. Is there a way to convert the files so it can be played or viewed through other phones or systems? Same goes for other effects that send you a CD ROM with the files in it.

The videos are saved into MPG4 format and the Photos are under JPEG format. If you put them into something like Sony Vegas or, Photoshop you can save them under different file types. I've tried, and it does work but, something may occur so be cautious.

You should be able to convert them to another device but, you may want to try fiddling with the sizes. And if you do buy this, not for an iphone or Touch don't blame me if it doesn't work :p.

-RA69

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I've been meaning to pick this up...thanks for the review!

As for the iPhone/iPod touch screens, if you have the iPod touch tricks from hottrix.com and a basic video editing program I'm sure you can take the iPod touch video from hottrix and edit the ipod touch screen onto the video file.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results