The Worst Exposers of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Exposure is going to spell the death of magic!! When all our methods are public knowledge, we'll never be able to do anything! I mean, it's not like our personalities are going to get us anywhere, right?

That's why with all the talk of YouTube and Celebracadabra and the tutorial site Ellu$ioni$t put up, I want to bring to everyone's attention, the worst exposers of all time: PENN and TELLER!!!!!

For years, these guys have been exposing magic on stage and on television. If you thought 90 million people watching VH1 was bad, think about what these guys have done to harm our art in almost 30 years! They've exposed false transfers, the thumb tip, dove pans, escape artistry, French drops, palming cards, and all sorts of other utilities that you and I use every day. They don't care! They even did a version of the cups and balls with clear plastic cups, the charlatans.

To stop this atrocity, I'm starting an online petition. My goal is to gather a million signatures to demand Penn & Teller retire from showbusiness all together. We can beat them if we band together!

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
Yeah! They totally exposed that American flag-burning trick that everyone has done for years! And that one bit with the bass guitar and cigarette! :eek:

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I forgot to add, I see your point, as hopefully others have too. I've pretty much given up on the whole Celebracadabra issue, considering it can't really effect me personally because it doesn't even air here.

Dec 14, 2007
Penn and Teller are not "exposers." While their PR might lead you to believe that, they do not expose methods to magic tricks other than those which they have created. Let's at least pick an appropriate example next time.

Brad Henderson

Mar 1, 2008
Some of their tricks like their cups and balls are created for the sole purpose of exposing it. It's simply for humor in their performance.

Dec 13, 2007
Penn and Teller are amazing entertainers. And do you know how many times someone would have to watch there "exposures" before they can actually do them themselves? Almost every comedy magic act has some exposure. Think about it, Amazing Jonathan, Mac King, and several other magicians....

If you ever watch them perform live, its amazing... in some ways it allows people to appreciate our art... see magic unlike other art can't be seen (for example no one sees how you do a pass and how hard it is, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it right)... exposing THEIR OWN MAGIC TRICKS is in a way allowing people to see what happens and admire the skill and effort put into it.... It's like watching Yo Yo Ma playing cello... its impressive when you hear him, but even more impressive when you actually watch him... Penn and Teller have made a huge contribution to magic and they are just a great pleasure to watch

I hope some time if your ever in vegas you get to see them... I'm assuming that you probably just watched youtube clips of them

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
I hope you are not even serious...

Penn and Teller are two of the very respected magicians among magicians...

Here's a passage from Wikipedia for those who really think that all they do are pure exposures:

"Sometimes, the pair will claim to reveal a secret of how a magic trick is done, but those tricks are usually invented by the duo for the sole purpose of exposing them, and therefore designed with more spectacular and weird methods than would have been necessary had it just been a "proper" magic trick. For example, in the reveal of one trick, while Teller waits for his cue, he reads magazines and eats a snack. Another example is their rendition of the cups and balls, using transparent cups."

Sep 1, 2007
Well, this got to a second page, so it's time to explain the obvious. Ahem...

Sar-ca-sm!

It's not that people thought I was being serious. It's who thought I was being serious that disappoints me. I did this to make a point. None of you were listening to me when I was being direct, and it should say something that I actually got more responses from a fake inflammatory witchhunt that I put together in two minutes than any well-written article here has gotten.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Well, this got to a second page, so it's time to explain the obvious. Ahem...

Sar-ca-sm!

It's not that people thought I was being serious. It's who thought I was being serious that disappoints me. I did this to make a point. None of you were listening to me when I was being direct, and it should say something that I actually got more responses from a fake inflammatory witchhunt that I put together in two minutes than any well-written article here has gotten.

So your telling me you posted this to be sarcastic?

I understand and am sorry. It's just that I am used to other threads that are serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007

Ding ding! All aboard the clue train!

I did it to make a point. Read it again, and if you still don't get it because of your preconcieved notions of my character, there's nothing I can do for you.

You're not stupid, so you should be able to figure this out without me leading you by the nose.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com

Just grow up and stop acting like a 6 year old.

He isn't acting like a six year old. He is trying (I think...) to say that people who whine and moan about exposure, yet when it is their hero on trial, they suddenly change their position.

Also, I believe he is trying to say people should look more into what a post is saying before jumping to conclusions.

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
He isn't acting like a six year old. He is trying (I think...) to say that people who whine and moan about exposure, yet when it is their hero on trial, they suddenly change their position.

Also, I believe he is trying to say people should look more into what a post is saying before jumping to conclusions.

-ThrallMind

If I could I would buy you a drink right now. Believe me that I am 100% sarcasm free when I say that I actually contemplated going into Photoshop and drawing a Genius Award avatar for you.

In the meantime, a promise of free booze if we ever meet will have to suffice.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Ding ding! All aboard the clue train!

I did it to make a point. Read it again, and if you still don't get it because of your preconcieved notions of my character, there's nothing I can do for you.

You're not stupid, so you should be able to figure this out without me leading you by the nose.

I understand that you made a point and I take back my "6-year old" remark.

I am sorry it's just most threads with things like these posted by other are usually serious. So hopefully no hard feelings :).

-ThrallMind

I understand that and I was saying that "6 year old" comment because these threads are very common and other people are usually serious.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
If I could I would buy you a drink right now. Believe me that I am 100% sarcasm free when I say that I actually contemplated going into Photoshop and drawing a Genius Award avatar for you.

In the meantime, a promise of free booze if we ever meet will have to suffice.

Heh, well, I share the same thoughts as you on this topic. An opinion which can be transient is really no opinion at all.

As far as the free beer and avatar, I'd accept both. :p

-ThrallMind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results