Custom Cards Are Bad?

Mar 29, 2008
ooooooo, touchy subject with your cool custom cards?
Why would I lie? Seriously? WTF?
I'm telling you what happened, is that so hard to believe? They thought the cards were magnetic.

So why don't you calm down, crawl into a corner, and play with your cool custom cards.
Because you know what, your just so cool!

Never said I was cool, I merely said the spectators ocasionally say "hey cool cards" but I guess you had to be a smartass and try to put words in my mouth.

Also, the reason I called you out on that is because people lie on the internet. It seems like people will even make up stories to bring down playing cards, they are just cards, nothing more, nothing less. Worst story I heard from somebody was this.

"I was doing some card tricks with my black tigers, but when I did a trick, nobody did anything, they wanted to see the deck, the guy looked at it and threw the cards on the ground and said stop using trick decks, and since then I never have used one of those decks again."

Now, can you honestly believe anything there? Didnt think so.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I get as much suspicion as I do with regular bicycles than with other E-decks (excluding black cards)

They all look the same to spectators, and no-one in Australia knows what bikes really are.

Sep 1, 2007
I normally use cards with regular faces so if the backs look different I won't mind, not any of the E decks the faces of them are so different. Plus every now and then even when I am using bikes people think they are trick cards.

So what if people ask if they are trick cards or not, just say no and move on with the tricks.
Cheers
Andrew

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
1. In Australia, no-one knows what you're talking about if you talk about "Bikes". There is no one dominant brand of cards where I am, "regular" Bikes are as foreign as Ghosts or Black Tigers or Vipers or any E card. What that means is that "regular" Bikes can be easily assumed to be gimmicked cards if you perform suspiciously. The fact is that I think that "the cards looked like gimmicked cards" is a bs excuse. If you lived down here, you'd have to get used to it, and practice more.

Ok, but for those of us who live in the U.S. the average deck would be the Bicycle deck . . . . . . . . at least for me, it sold in just about every store on the island. And people are use to seeing them in red or blue. So when people see me coming with a black deck, they'll be more than suspicious.

Honestly, if people think your cards are gimmicked, maybe you need to look at how you handle cards.

What? I was flourishing with the cards and everyone assumed they were either connected somehow with string or magnetic.

When doing magic, what would be the proper way to "handle" the cards?

2. Custom cards cost almost as much as normal Bikes, if you know where to get them, Bikes being 10 and custom cards being 12-15. I don't think cost should be a factor though it has been brought up in this thread.

My two cents.

Peace

Once again, you live in Australia, so this doesn't apply to everyone. There's a store called Costco where you can get a bundle of 12 Bicycle decks for $13 bucks. At E however you can get 12 decks of BGD's for about $72.00.

Never said I was cool, I merely said the spectators ocasionally say "hey cool cards" but I guess you had to be a smartass and try to put words in my mouth.

Also, the reason I called you out on that is because people lie on the internet. It seems like people will even make up stories to bring down playing cards, they are just cards, nothing more, nothing less. Worst story I heard from somebody was this.

"I was doing some card tricks with my black tigers, but when I did a trick, nobody did anything, they wanted to see the deck, the guy looked at it and threw the cards on the ground and said stop using trick decks, and since then I never have used one of those decks again."

Now, can you honestly believe anything there? Didnt think so.

1) I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass. (not calling u dumb, just stating a fact)
2) I could see how that story was made up, but mine was more acceptable. No one has ever asked you if your cards were magnetic when doing flourishing or magic? To me, if you answer no, then I'd say your BS-ing.

Mar 29, 2008
1) I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass. (not calling u dumb, just stating a fact)
2) I could see how that story was made up, but mine was more acceptable. No one has ever asked you if your cards were magnetic when doing flourishing or magic? To me, if you answer no, then I'd say your BS-ing.

the only times I was asked if they where stuck together is when doing various aerials, mainly vertigo hackysack.

Sep 1, 2007

1. Stop stealing my jokes.
2. Stop projecting.

Honestly, the whole idea that you shouldn't use custom cards because the spectators will be suspicious is a crock. You either wear the deck, or the deck wears you. People who use custom cards are not inherently better than you, nor are you better than them.

For anyone still worried about looking suspicious, I figured out how to completely neutralize that issue a long time ago.

No I will not post it here. If you're open-minded enough to want to know, you can PM me. I'd prefer to keep this knowledge in the hands of those who actually plan to apply it and further their magic.

I'll list some pos and cons so you cansee what some people think.

PRO'S:

They look neat and add a certain amount of aw to your trick.
They are thicker than normal cards.
They will last longer than a normal deck. (Except for Vipers and Tiger's. they wear out quicker.)
The fans and flourishes usually look cooler.
A Layman won't usually be able to find them without the correct name.
they are something we have which mormal people don't.

CON'S:

Black cards scratch easily.
The are ften mistaken for a gimmicked deck.
They are expensive.
Some wear out quicker than normal cards.
They are a pain to replace if you drop them.
If a heckler rips one well... there goes another 7 dollars out of your wallet.

At the right moment they can be fun, but not always. That is why I only have ones I can trust. Centurions, Guardians, Split Spades, Ghost's.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Theres a website called bicyclepersonalizedcards.com where you can make your own design on the back only, a little expensive but it'd be yours.

As long as a deck is fairly normal it would be an asset and not a detriment to your performance, Ghosts can be confusing, guardians and centurions pass nicely.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'll list some pos and cons so you cansee what some people think.

PRO'S:
They are thicker than normal cards.

Wouldn't that be considered a con? I like thinner cards a hell of a lot more than thicker cards.

Honestly, the whole idea that you shouldn't use custom cards because the spectators will be suspicious is a crock.

For anyone still worried about looking suspicious, I figured out how to completely neutralize that issue a long time ago.

No I will not post it here. If you're open-minded enough to want to know, you can PM me. I'd prefer to keep this knowledge in the hands of those who actually plan to apply it and further their magic.

If you believe that the idea is a crock, than why do you have a way to "neutralize" the deck/situation?

+ how do you know that the whole idea of custom cards making the spectator suspicious is a crock? I want to hear some of your knowledge and proof from past experiences.

I don't know if it's just the strangers I perform for, because when I pull out a black deck, suspicion rises.

Sep 1, 2007
If you believe that the idea is a crock, than why do you have a way to "neutralize" the deck/situation?

Because any prop is suspicious if you act like it.

+ how do you know that the whole idea of custom cards making the spectator suspicious is a crock? I want to hear some of your knowledge and proof from past experiences.

I already told you to PM me. I don't feel like getting into another public argument right now, as I'm in too good a mood to let the rabble here spoil my day.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
I just Got back from a Party and I was doing some Routines.
One of the dudes asked me for my deck and I handed it to him
HE looked at it and said that it was a trick deck
He insisted that it was a trick deck and inspected every single card
I pulled out a Bicycle Red and did the same Routine and he thought It was tricked just because he saw the other one first
Thats Why I hate custom decks
It was my first time using it too

Sep 1, 2007
# of PMs I've recieved about how to work custom decks: 0

It's not enough to claim to be open-minded. Prove it through action.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
I just Got back from a Party and I was doing some Routines.
One of the dudes asked me for my deck and I handed it to him
HE looked at it and said that it was a trick deck
He insisted that it was a trick deck and inspected every single card
I pulled out a Bicycle Red and did the same Routine and he thought It was tricked just because he saw the other one first
Thats Why I hate custom decks
It was my first time using it too

I don't envy you the heartache you'll suffer when Brian Tudor uses a custom deck.

Sorry, everyone else. I couldn't resist. Brian: I wonder if the skeptic reaction you got was simply due to skepticism. Maybe the guy saw some trick decks, or was not comfortable admitting that he couldn't figure out your performance. My gut tells me he would have said that if you DIDN'T use custom cards.

I use Ghosts regularly; the only hangup I've run into is a performance of D&D's Hoffzy Osbourne. They didn't think I showed all four aces. Other than that, no one has ever bothered me or asked me about them. I used Centurions at a Crue concert last week and got a lot of compliments. One kid actually stuck his signed card in his wallet and said he was going to use it as a bookmark.

I'm nuts about Ghosts and Centurions and stock up on both, as well as red Masters, so that I can use gaff cards. Those are my main performance cards, and 1 percent of my spectators have bothered me about them, accusing me of "trick cards." I know, I'm spending more money than the typical, but I have a job that lets me. Besides, being addicted to cards is much better than smoking or alcohol.

Steerpike is right. If the deck wears you, people are going to bug you about it. If you wear the deck, no problems. All I'm sayin'.

Jul 22, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
I love Masters! They don't look any different from what people would consider a "normal" deck of cards where I'm from, and they have nice thick stock and amazing finish! Plus, Boris Wild Marked Decks look so much like bikes that people never suspect them.

Hey guys, I just wanted to put two things out there. I live in Australia, which is where these two issues originate from:

1. In Australia, no-one knows what you're talking about if you talk about "Bikes". There is no one dominant brand of cards where I am, "regular" Bikes are as foreign as Ghosts or Black Tigers or Vipers or any E card. What that means is that "regular" Bikes can be easily assumed to be gimmicked cards if you perform suspiciously. The fact is that I think that "the cards looked like gimmicked cards" is a bs excuse. If you lived down here, you'd have to get used to it, and practice more. There are no "regular" cards to fall back upon, no "normal" cards you can point to to prove your honesty if you simply perform in a suspicious manner. Nothing to rely on, the cards don't prove your innocence, you just have to perform innocently to begin with. If you look like you use trick cards, people will think it. Honestly, if people think your cards are gimmicked, maybe you need to look at how you handle cards. Now every once in a while you'll come across a particularly cynical spectator, which may not be your fault. But if it happens regularly, well, if I don't get those comments with "regular" Bikes here, which are just as foreign as E cards, nor with E cards, nor with Wynns or anything else I've tried, there's no reason "they look like gimmicks" should be an acceptable excuse, I think that's a rubbish excuse for performing in a suspicious manner.

2. Custom cards cost almost as much as normal Bikes, if you know where to get them, Bikes being 10 and custom cards being 12-15. I don't think cost should be a factor though it has been brought up in this thread.

My two cents.

Peace
Amen. Nobody knows about any type of cards here. The only time I've ever been asked if they were trick cards was when I was using a trick deck. Spooky.........

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ok, but for those of us who live in the U.S. the average deck would be the Bicycle deck . . . . . . . . at least for me, it sold in just about every store on the island. And people are use to seeing them in red or blue. So when people see me coming with a black deck, they'll be more than suspicious.

What? I was flourishing with the cards and everyone assumed they were either connected somehow with string or magnetic.

When doing magic, what would be the proper way to "handle" the cards?

Once again, you live in Australia, so this doesn't apply to everyone. There's a store called Costco where you can get a bundle of 12 Bicycle decks for $13 bucks. At E however you can get 12 decks of BGD's for about $72.00.

And for me, every deck is a "more than suspicious" deck because they've never seen anything common, so nothing is a given, no outs from it. As for the proper way, it'd depend on your style, whatever makes it feel more like you and more natural.

Apr 9, 2008
Malaysia
normally, when i use custom deck , i aslo face up the problem of "trick deck". but i always use red bicycle/blue bicycle to play few trick , then be a magic way change the deck into custom deck.

After that , everyone will enjoy the magic perform by custom deck , because whether they suspicious,they just want have fun.

peace

Aug 31, 2007
I agree with a couple other people here... Custom cards don't have to look gimmicked. It's _almost_ always how you perform that makes a spec suspicious. I always use Shadows (with the rare exception of when I have my brown wynns or blue masters), and I have never had anybody ask if it was a trick deck. Not once. So I too think that "people thinking it's a gimmicked deck" is a rotten excuse (or no excuse) for bad performance and not wanting to pay top dollar for high quality cards.

Just my $0.02 :rolleyes:

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
Sure we have all had people ask if it is a trick deck whether that be with custom decks or bicycles or any deck for that matter. I performed with a Tiger deck and the guy said sweet cards. He said he wanted to buy some. He never suspected them of trickery. I think most people here think people are going to think they are trick cards therefore people DO think they are. Just pull them out casually and do various things.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Sure we have all had people ask if it is a trick deck whether that be with custom decks or bicycles or any deck for that matter. I performed with a Tiger deck and the guy said sweet cards. He said he wanted to buy some. He never suspected them of trickery. I think most people here think people are going to think they are trick cards therefore people DO think they are. Just pull them out casually and do various things.

You were just Lucky
One guy
What about the Thousands of laymen that dont think they are "sweet"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results