Jim Callahan finds Criss Angel an ideological bigot.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
"I am asking those who read this site to remember I am an entertainer, artist & researcher.

Please do not get carried away when viewing and interacting with my work. It is to be an entertaining, surreal diversion.

I am not a psychic nor a medium. I am a Paranormalist.
You are in control of what you believe and do with your life.
Just as I am.
Have fun and enjoy yourselves........Jim"
One of the most contradicting statements I've read... ever. Saying you're a "paranormalist" doesn't make it any better. Ironically, Uri Geller also says he's a paranormalist. The point is, you're still claiming genuine abilities:

"I have two challenge presentations- one metal bending, the other the Deja-vue Experiment on the site. Both are backed up with documentation and can be verified."

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
First off, let me say that I don't hate Criss. I'm kind of indifferent to him, to be honest. My opinion is if he uses stooges, so what? He doesn't claim to have powers. He's an entertainer and a good one, apparently.

Let me go on to say that I've only seen the orginal clips. The ones of the television progam itself when Jim came right out and said he had a "power". I haven't seen any of the others posted here, because I'm at work.

But I'd like to say something about this.

As someone who does mental magic, including an effect where I "talk with the dead", I make it clear that it's just a trick. It's a responsiblity to make it clear. In my experience it doesn't take away any of the "awe factor" the effect gives. None. The audience is still floored.

In fact, I start all my performances with the line "Unless I say 'I'm telling the truth here', I am lieing through my teeth", and end my performances with the reinforcement that I do not have any powers whatsoever.

And yet, even with those disclaimers both at the beginning and the end of the show, people will STILL come up to me and ask me to contact the dead or something. It's sad that they are that desparate.

In my humble opinion, to get on national television, during a live television show and proceed to claim that you have supernatural powers and do an effect to illustrate that is beyond low. As I just stated, even when you tell people outright you have no powers and it's a trick, some poor souls are desprate enough to believe you do.

Jim claimed he had powers, he didn't try to say he didn't, he got defensive when Criss called him on it. It looks like to me that he was trying to gain a name for himself not with his talents as a magician, but with his bogus claim of have "powers".

I, for one, am glad Criss stood up to him. I agree with the opinion that he should've done it off stage and in the papers, but people who do that should be exposed for the frauds they are.

People who claim to have these "powers" aren't helping the grieving, they don't provide comfort to them, it's nothing but a self-serving way of preying on people's suffering for their own gain.

Jim decided to go down that route on that night, Criss blocked him. Good for Criss! Stooges or no, I have more respect for Criss than I do for Jim.

As for Uri, he's a worse than Jim is. He's been claiming that he's had powers for years. Most of you out there are too young to remember him. I do. I remember being very young and Uri on television bending keys (gee, I wonder how he did that???) and warning the people watching at home to not have any keys near the television during the time he did this because they might bend too. The first thing I thought of was "what if this was a repeat show? How would it do that?" and I was pretty young. Uri has been trying to prove his "powers" too, for a long time, been disproven over and over, and yet he still tries. He's much worse than Jim is.

Sorry about the wall of text, but I really felt like venting about this.....
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
"I am asking those who read this site to remember I am an entertainer, artist & researcher.

Please do not get carried away when viewing and interacting with my work. It is to be an entertaining, surreal diversion.

I am not a psychic nor a medium. I am a Paranormalist.
You are in control of what you believe and do with your life.
Just as I am.
Have fun and enjoy yourselves........Jim"

And this is on the bottom of the site you gave

"©2006 Applied Thought Technologies LLC and Jim Callahan
This site products and presentations are presented for purely entertainment, educational and artistic purposes. This statement is true in reference to all sites in this domain. This is an art entertainment product and should be viewed and used as such."

In the end he is just a magician in character
Would you do one of those mentalist acts and tell the audience
"im not a real mentalist I just want to fool everyone here to think I am"
The job of a mentalist or magician is to make the audience believe that what they are seeing is real
Specially in mentalist,I'm no mentalist but I read a couple of books
Luke said something important I just cant remember what it was I think definition=creation
If you tell the audience I'm going to talk to this dead man then they will believe
If you say i am going to try or I will talk....but its all fake so...
There wont be no effect or not as great as making them believe.

I just Checked Paranormalist on Google and guess what was number one
Jim's Website

What is a paranormalist?

The short answer is that I Create Reality.

Note: I am also a Master Magician and because of that I draw a strong distinction between my work as a Paranormalist and a Magician.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
The short answer is that I Create Reality.
You fail to acknowledge the fact that he has issued a challenge to Randi to prove his claims.
Note: I am also a Master Magician and because of that I draw a strong distinction between my work as a Paranormalist and a Magician.
Pretty sure that summed it up. As a "Paranormalist", he claims to have genuine abilities - and draws a distinction between said "abilities" and magic.

Jim callahan's performance was a joke. Atleast magicians make the spectators believe that they have powers but if you walk up to someone on the street and perform a simple pick a card trick and you fall on the ground, make that eye thing my cousin can do and guess there card then people( normal) would think that your some guy acting childish. ghdfjhjdsfh( falls on the ground) your card is the 3 of diamonds. Wow amazing.:rolleyes:

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
You fail to acknowledge the fact that he has issued a challenge to Randi to prove his claims.

Pretty sure that summed it up. As a "Paranormalist", he claims to have genuine abilities - and draws a distinction between said "abilities" and magic.

He did issue the challenge
But Others have gone to similar challenges as well
When they passed the challenges they admitted that they used trickery
The challenge is for entertainment purposes and everything he says too
IF he were the real deal he wouldn't have all those disclaimers around

JimWhiteStand_copy.jpg

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I have to go along with Jon here.

Claims he's a "paranormalist", signs up for Randi's Challenge, sounds like he's out to prove something, dispite his disclaimer.

Uri went though bouts in his career when he admitted he didn't have any powers. But then he'd claim he'd have them again over and over.

And sorry, there is no such thing as "the real deal". So there is no if....

Sorry, I don't trust the guy.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Jim Callahan, upset that a fellow performer, who also makes a living from mystifying audiences, would make such a challenge, responded angrily, saying, “"OK man, I’ll tell you what I will tell you. I find you an ideological bigot".”

Well is Criss An ideological bigot?

I just saw the new episode(crap)
and I thought he was going to split the water in two and walk through it
He even has the beard an all

Jim is perfectly right to call out Criss for "throwing stones while he himself lives in a glass house",

Criss: "You're a fraud! I'll give you $1M to guess what's in this envelope!"

Jim: "Oh yeah? Well, I'll give you $1M if you can levitate over the crowd right here and now."

...Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

check this video out Criss is supposedly "possesed" http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDhAMD33N0

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Oh come on. I've done the whole "pretending I'm possessed" thing too. It's a performance.

Understand this: Jim (and Uri for that matter) said that he had "real" supernatural powers on live television then tried to show it by doing a parlor trick. Why in the world would someone claim that and do a trick we all can do? Why? Because he wanted to take advantage of the situation. He thought he could get away with the guillablity of people. He wanted, in no uncertain terms, to scam people.

That's a completely different animal from what Criss does. Sure he uses stooges and trick cameras to do his tricks, but he never ever claimed to have supernatural powers. He's a performer and that's all he claims to be. You may not like what he does to accomplish his illusions, but he far, far more honest than Jim is.

Look I don't care if you dislike Criss and like Jim better. Fine, that's your opinion.

But understand that as a magician or hypnotist or performer, we should not (and I certainly do not) trust any fellow magician, hypnotist or performer who claims their "powers are real".

Claiming to have "powers" is crossing a line between entertaining people and really, truly messing with someone's feeling and emotions. It's the difference between Max Maven and John Edwards. That's a line that should never be crossed because that's the line between performing and scamming. And once a performer crosses that line, there's no turning back.

I like the way Derren Brown does it. He says repeatedly that he has no supernatural powers. In fact, he actually tells you what he does and people are still fooled.

Look, I would give Jim some respect if he dropped this feud with Criss, remove the bull**** name of "paranormalist" off his "titles", doesn't take the Randi challenge, and go on live television and say "I'm sorry, everyone. I don't have supernatural powers. I shouldn't have said that on the show and what I did was a trick like most magicians can do. And I promise not to claim any supernatural powers again." Then, only then, will I personally let him off the hook.

No, instead, he attacks Criss. Shows me what kind of character this person has. He has fans now who still think or suspect he does have "powers" and you know, that's HIS fault. Mark my words, he will claim to have them again.

I'll side with Criss any day with this issue.

Oh come on. I've done the whole "pretending I'm possessed" thing too. It's a performance.

Understand this: Jim (and Uri for that matter) said that he had "real" supernatural powers on live television then tried to show it by doing a parlor trick. Why in the world would someone claim that and do a trick we all can do? Why? Because he wanted to take advantage of the situation. He thought he could get away with the guillablity of people. He wanted, in no uncertain terms, to scam people.

That's a completely different animal from what Criss does. Sure he uses stooges and trick cameras to do his tricks, but he never ever claimed to have supernatural powers. He's a performer and that's all he claims to be. You may not like what he does to accomplish his illusions, but he far, far more honest than Jim is.

Look I don't care if you dislike Criss and like Jim better. Fine, that's your opinion.

But understand that as a magician or hypnotist or performer, we should not (and I certainly do not) trust any fellow magician, hypnotist or performer who claims their "powers are real".

Claiming to have "powers" is crossing a line between entertaining people and really, truly messing with someone's feeling and emotions. It's the difference between Max Maven and John Edwards. That's a line that should never be crossed because that's the line between performing and scamming. And once a performer crosses that line, there's no turning back.

I like the way Derren Brown does it. He says repeatedly that he has no supernatural powers. In fact, he actually tells you what he does and people are still fooled.

Look, I would give Jim some respect if he dropped this feud with Criss, remove the bull**** name of "paranormalist" off his "titles", doesn't take the Randi challenge, and go on live television and say "I'm sorry, everyone. I don't have supernatural powers. I shouldn't have said that on the show and what I did was a trick like most magicians can do. And I promise not to claim any supernatural powers again." Then, only then, will I personally let him off the hook.

No, instead, he attacks Criss. Shows me what kind of character this person has. He has fans now who still think or suspect he does have "powers" and you know, that's HIS fault. Mark my words, he will claim to have them again.

Me too.

Cheers!

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
As of right now, I am definitely spending time with some spirits:

Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Johnny Walker, Captain Morgan...:D

Nice.......
DO they tell you what objects are inside Boxes like Jim's friend's spirit XD

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Amen. I love how Brian ignores arguments that are beyond him. Or maybe he's still thinking. :p

Peace

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Nice.......
DO they tell you what object are inside Boxes like Jim's friend's spirit

I hope you were kidding. Whether you are or not illustrates my point.

Some people will still believe he can talk to this "spirit". He took that step on live television, claiming he can, on live television as a scam.

When Criss called him on the fact that he doesn't have a power, Jim attacked back by calling on Criss' clothing and personality.

Criss was calling Jim on his integrity. Looks to me like Jim had no defense. But the damage was done. People will believe you have a power even if you stand there and say "No, it was trick". Hell the people who photographed the "Lochness Monster" came out and said it was toy they photographed and people still believe that it exists. One of the original people who "discovered" crop circles showed how he made it and people still believe it was made by aliens.

Once you say you can do something "supernatural", you have set yourself up into a position to exploit people. Jim went down that road. Criss never did.

Aug 9, 2008
I hope you were kidding. Whether you are or not illustrates my point.

Some people will still believe he can talk to this "spirit". He took that step on live television, claiming he can, on live television as a scam.

When Criss called him on the fact that he doesn't have a power, Jim attacked back by calling on Criss' clothing and personality.

Criss was calling Jim on his integrity. Looks to me like Jim had no defense. But the damage was done. People will believe you have a power even if you stand there and say "No, it was trick". Hell the people who photographed the "Lochness Monster" came out and said it was toy they photographed and people still believe that it exists. One of the original people who "discovered" crop circles showed how he made it and people still believe it was made by aliens.

Once you say you can do something "supernatural", you have set yourself up into a position to exploit people. Jim went down that road. Criss never did.

Whatever man I can talk to ghost too but I'm not a phone and neither is Jim so dont worry about it, its all for entertainment purposes ha ha ha ha.Maybe you are just jealous?

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Whatever man I can talk to ghost too but I'm not a phone and neither is Jim so dont worry about it, its all for entertainment purposes ha ha ha ha.Maybe you are just jealous?

Wow, can you try to be clearer with what you have to say? It took me ages to understand the message you are trying to bring across. And I haven't figured it out yet :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
..are we still on this? Geez.

Look, if you don't like Criss, fine. I'm not a fan either. It just that I between Jim and Criss, I find Jim far less trustworthy with far less integrity and far less talented than Criss is.

Anyone who claims that they really and truly have some kind of "supernatrual power", for whatever reason, is either self-delusional or a swindler.

I mean, I can do that trick too, but I will state that I have no powers and it's just that. A trick. I might even go as far as to challenge people to figure out how I did it. But I'd never, ever say that it's from a "power".

I've stated this before, and apparently I need to again.

Once a person claims to have a "power", for whatever reason, be it entertainment or whatever, that person is no longer a magician or a performer but a con artist. It's more than just a magic performance now, it's now someone is now trying to prove a "power" with tricks that anyone can do, to gain a following. Not fans. Major difference.

Also, it cheapens the art of magic. Magic is supposed to fool people and people know they're being fooled but don't know how. Once someone performs a trick, such as know that a toy car was in a box, and says "I talked to a dead guy and he saw it", where's the trick? The gullible people in the audience will believe that explanation and now the wonder is gone. Now it's "I know how it's done - he has a power". No magic. No wonder. No secret. But now there's a set up of "he's more powerful than me."

If a magician says outright sometime during the performance that is just that, a trick, then the wonder is there. There's a secret. There's something that will stick with a person for a long, long time. That's magic. That's what we should be doing.

And that's where the talent lies. If you perform a trick and claim to have powers, then you don't have talent, you have a power. But if you don't have a power and the audience is still fooled, then you have a talent. It's then that all the practicing pays off.

Jim is not going down that route. Jim is claiming that he has a power. In my opinion, he doesn't trust his "talent". And by the looks of his performance of that trick from Phenom, he doesn't have much of a talent. What's more, he's still is claiming to have powers and selling books that promote numerology and other such nonsense.

And all his "powers" are based on things we all can do with a little practice. There's no "powers".

Criss may use stooges and camera tricks, and IMHO, that's fair when it comes to doing magic. But he doesn't claim to have powers when he steps off the stage. In every interview I've seen with him, when he's asked, he says he has no powers. Jim is trying to convince the world he does have powers. On or off stage.

There's the difference. And it's a major one. And it's a line that no performer should cross. It cheapens the art, and it makes the magician a fraud.

Not on live TV he doesn't
He should have acted like Pro instead of like he did
He probably had been working with his writers for a long time on that scene
Why did he have those papers with him?
Why only Jim and not Angela
I mean she did some sort of stigmata thing
maybe he was afraid of his Performance
I would have loved to see more oh him
He looked like a really good "entertainer"
Even if it weren't real it was still good entertainment
No need to Bash the man and Ruin his chances on the show

Why is there no need? How do you expose a con man secretly? If you keep it quiet the whole point of the thing is gone.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results