"Card Tricks" vs. REAL MAGIC

Sep 1, 2007
Hello all,

One issue that sees a fair amount of discussion is the nature of card magic. Often, it is regarded as being less than "proper magic". As a working professional, I have had to add other kinds of magic to my act in order to make it more well rounded just because of that perception. Many magicians warn against opening with cards because of this very problem. And the source of that problem is that a deck of cards is such a common object, and at some point just about everyone and their dog learns a simple card trick, that it is difficult for many people to appreciate the level at which you're working. "Familiarity Breeds Contempt" in other words.

So what can we do to elevate card magic in the eyes of our audience?

I don't think it's about the effects. No seasoned magician is going to perform magic like Uncle Charlie at the family BBQ - items like the 21 card trick, the "behind the back reverse" etc. don't usually find their way into professional repertoires. So, if it's not about the tricks, then that leaves presentation.

More specifically, the context.

Place a card trick into a larger picture, and suddenly, you're not doing a card trick anymore, you're illustrating something bigger - using a deck of cards. One of my favourite themes is time travel; effect by effect, I demonstrate the ability to jump back in time until the audience has bought into the presentation so much that they forget it was ever "just a card trick". As an exercise, take any effect and think up several different presentations for it. Try and get as wildly outside the box as you can - and you will probably come up with something special.

Cheers,
David

Sep 3, 2007
Ireland
I think that you're spot on, and if u can weave a good trick into a great story then u end up with great magic, however what i find is a big problem in strolling and table hopping situations is that u don't get an oppurtunity to develop a trick because in these situations ur magic needs to be quick, visual and flashy in order to gaain an audiences attention, its only if they call u back do u ever get the oppurtunity present a good effect with a really great story!!!

Sep 1, 2007
I try to stay away from the word "story" and stick with "context". Story, although accurate, has connotations of "the clubs represent the sheep in the field and teh jacks represent the shepherds..." and so it goes. There are some great "story tricks" out there...Gemini Twins...Sam the Bellhop etc. but most are kinda lame. I get your point though.

My experience is that its very possible to take your time with magic in strolling and table hopping conditions; setting a theme for your performance is a great opportunity to create a rapport with your audience. Perhaps its the type of gigs that I work, or perhaps its more my performing style, but this has never been an issue for me.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Has someone been reading Absolute Magic?

It depends on what your goals are as a magician. Some magicians can do more card "tricks" as it suits they're style. Sankey for example. He doesn't present his effects seriously, and is more intent on producing comedy and magic rather than "real magic".

Whit Haydn can also perform effects that look more "sleighty", because of the context of his performance..

Someone like Jermay, or Brown, or even Houchin could not pull off Card to Pocket in the same way. It doesn't fit their style and would seem utterly fake. But put the same effect into the context of Sankey, and the audience will respect that, and in turn love it!

It comes down to propriety. What fits your performance?

Ty

Sep 1, 2007
I have not got round to reading Absolute Magic yet...or Designing Miracles...or Strong Magic...there's a lot on my reading list!

As a performer, my goal is to be entertaining. I really couldn't get away with the "seriously, this stuff is REAL" style that some folks go with. My audiences tend to be adult professionals so I have to work very hard to set up a rapport and in particular, steer them away from a challenge mindset.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I've taken a lot of influence from Derren Brown in my performing style. Even though virtually nothing I do falls under that "psychological illusionist" banner, I use his way of thinking to approach sleight-of-hand. Because that is what I perform, not magic. In the same way that Derren Brown presents (or, at least, used to present) his effects as demonstrations of mastery of human psychology, I present mine as feats of dexterity. I believe that modern audiences are more prepared to allow themselves to be amazed if they think they have an answer to the "how is he doing it?" question. The question I get asked a lot is "How long have you been practicing that?", which is perfect for my presentation. So, instead of giving audiences the moment the "magic" happens, I give audiences a moment where I perform some unbelievable display of speed, dexterity or card control.

For example, if I take a double, show an X card, then leave the spectator's real selection between his hands (as I'm sure we've all done at some point), I don't just tap the back of their hand and show the switch. I talk to them about misdirection, and about how, while they're listening to me, their hands are relaxing and coming apart a tiny amount. Obviously at this point they turn a lot of attention back to their hands and squeeze them together tighter than before, so I relax my shoulders, take a half-step back and smile at how much they want to beat me and catch their eye, they smile with me, and that is the point at which I apparently make the switch with a very rapid movement getting the X card into their hand as far as possible then pulling it out again. The point is, if I was really doing what I say I was doing, misdirecting them to make them relax, then switching the cards at the peak of their relaxation, that moment would be the moment I'd pick to do it. And they will realize that themselves. Instead of asking "How did you do that?", they simply find it amazing that someone can make them relax enough to steal something out of their own hands.

Hmmm......it's a long old post, but I hope someone finds it interesting.

Sep 1, 2007
Funny, I always considered card magic as REAL magic (even as a layman) and everything else as just smoke and mirrors.

To me, performing impromtu miracles with an everyday objects (like cards or coins) is the best magic.

The thing that differentiates "tricks" from "magic" is not the props (as stated earlier by joshua barrett) but the effect. And the effect depends on presentation. In the right hands, even the simplest trick (think of the tricks performed by the previously mentioned Uncle Charlie at the family BBQ) can be perceived as a miracle.

I would recommend reading Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. In this book he discusses this exact topic and other related topics that, if the lessons are understood and applied by the performer, will help elevate your performances from "tricks" to "magic".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results