Best choice of music for magic?

Which genre, which artist, which music is the best for magic?

I understand that there are so many different types of music which can suit everyone.

From understanding in the past from other magicians, the music is best to not have any lyrics, otherwise you will have half the audience listening to the song, rather than watching the magic. Unless the lyrics have some sort of key with the trick, such as, the variations of the Shape of My Heart and all the card flourishes.

Anyway, I was hoping we could all recommend different types of music without lyrics which could be used for magic.

Suggest away!

Apr 22, 2008
Definitively not rock like Iron Maiden. For XCM maybe, but still I don't like in both ways. Music should be soft, with NO words, because it keeps the attention to the performer. I suggest Acid Jazz, "chill out", or something like that. Check out Bonobo or Kleerup - Chords (I'm listening now to it) ;)

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It's like Steven was saying, it really does vary dependent on the performer's style, the particular routine and the audience or event.

Like for instance, say that you were hired to perform at the metal hammer awards or something, a manip routine to acid jazz just wouldn't go down well, where as some crazy high impact illusion with high energy guitar based music would.

You should never say never as this is art, alot of people on here are too stuck in their ways - open up, think outside the box and do it your way. Not anyone elses.

I personally in the few stage performances I do, use quite dark breakbeat or industrial kinda stuff as it works with the persona I present on stage. Music like CellDweller and the like. It works nicely.

I do agree that instrumental music can be better, unless the lyrics are either quite sparce or hold some relevance to what's going on - like Jeff mcBride's mirror routine. That's an AMAZING routine.

D.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would perform an escape to S Club 7's 'bring it all back to you'.

"don't stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top..."

Perfect.

Of course, on the other hand, i'm joking.

CL

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
like was said above me, it depends on the performer. personally, i like to use Lemon Jelly's "In the Bath". Dan and Dave used it on the advert for Smooth Operations....just a thought.

May 8, 2008
England
Good points by all, and cheers to Chr!s for making me laugh damn hard :)

Music helps set/create atmosphere and mood, so what you are doing will determine the music you are going for. In any kind of performance, be it magic, Drama etc the effects, mainly music and lighting, should be an addition that the performance could work with out, the performance is the main part.

Having said all that I think that you should always have music as it can improve and help create the mood you want.

Good to know we've got some Maiden fans, up the Irons!
:)

-S

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey, I'm all about the SC7!

S Club juniors was a bit much though... I always felt they lacked the integrity of there older counterparts.

Too much, haha!

Really, I don't perform to music, as pretty much all my stuff is strolling close up, and even wit hmy pocket management skills, a boombox is too much to carry in my pockets.

If however, I did perform to music, I would love to do something to a Tom Waits track. Intense, bizarre, rythmic, intimidating and creepy, all rolled into one!

CL

May 8, 2008
England
Oh come on Chr!s, you're only saying that because like me you wanted to be a member of S club juniors. Man we missed out.

I meant stage stuff, walk around, which is what I do, doesn't really need it. Although you could take along a harmonica... or marching band. Can you imagine David Blaine with a marching band like... marching behind him?

Also love the boombox idea. Maybe sleightly bigger pockets might help?

Wow, I never saw that coming... Still pop and black metal, not to different :p

I am loving this thread :)

-S

Mar 7, 2008
for mysterious gentle magic i would recomend 'tenneessee' by hans zimmer and 'time to say goodbye' by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli

please check them out they are both beautiful pieces of music which i think would fit well to a magic rouine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results