I need some advice

Aug 6, 2008
i've been doing magic for about 2 years now and i'm not bad at it. the magic is not my problem. my problem is my people skills. once i start talking to someone or some people, i'm totaly into it. it's starting the conversation and the preformance that hurts me. i'm to shy to walk up to people because i dont know how to start talking to them. i dont want to just go up to them and ask "hey, u wanna see a magic trick?" i need some good lines that will open my preformence up and get people to want to watch my magic.

thank you :),
Chris D.

Sep 1, 2007
i've been doing magic for about 2 years now and i'm not bad at it. the magic is not my problem. my problem is my people skills. once i start talking to someone or some people, i'm totaly into it. it's starting the conversation and the preformance that hurts me. i'm to shy to walk up to people because i dont know how to start talking to them. i dont want to just go up to them and ask "hey, u wanna see a magic trick?" i need some good lines that will open my preformence up and get people to want to watch my magic.

Chris D.

Hey, Chris.

I guess the first think I'll say is that a lot of the time, it depends on venue.

But probably the most important thing is that you have to put yourself outside of your comfort zone. You should be yourself, but be a really nice charismatic approachable version of yourself. Charisma is something that you develop over a period of time, and you really have to work at it.

Now let's just assume that we're at my college and I want to some magic. College or High School tend to be more open environments, so it's perfectly acceptable to go up to people and introduce yourself. I might say, "Hi, I'm Ben," and then just start talking. It's fine to get to know your audience a bit before you perform for them. In fact, it can be very helpful.

Usually what I'll do is at some point just say something like, "Hey, wanna see a magic trick?" And people might laugh and think I'm joking, but I've made myself nonthreatening. That's really the point, to be nonthreatening.

Once I've started doing magic, I'll open with something with good audience participation, maybe just something where a card changes in their hands, because I want them to see that I'm not trying to put myself above them. It's all about interaction.

Now, if I'm doing a paid gig, I'm a little more direct, but the idea again is to be very approachable and nonthreatening.

One final note: If you're performing for complete strangers, just remember, if something goes wrong, or you make yourself look like an idiot, it's perfectly fine because you'll probably never see them again as long as you live.

If your instinct is to be shy, just ignore it. Do the opposite of what you usually do. Like George Costanza in that one episode of Seinfeld.

Chris D.

This has been discussed alot before but ill talk alittle about it. Ive done magic for a year and a half and a year of it ive done street...

Now there are things people dont see. Like when you go up to someone with cards they cant really see what you are going to do, some may some may not. When your going to do something without cards then its a bit thougher, like when you have to borrow something they dont really trust you. So start off with something with your own stuff.

Now when you approach a group of people, i use this, you introduce yourselfe
e.g " Hello, My name is Mikk" now you will ask them "Have you got a minute" or "can i borrow a little of your time?". This is a polyte gesture to make and if they start saying no with theyr body still finish the sentence like so "im a magician, and i was wondering if i could show you a trick?". If they say no just say " Thanks Anyway" and walk away but dont rush, and go to someone else dont feel bad because they refused if they see you with a large croud later on they will feel sorry.
So to recap this is the full sentence "Hello, my name is Mikk, can i borrow a little of your time? *a little pause* im a magician and i was wondering if i could show you a trick.

I hope this helped! And dont take every word of what i sayd as a bible just adjust it to you!

Mikk

Sep 1, 2007
USA
If you're on the street I usually just approach the "victim" from the side and say sir/ma'am... can I try to show you something kind of cool....

But if you're at a party or just a school, and the people kind of know me... I start with talking to my friends at the same time as doing flourishes... or just have a deck in my hand and eventually ask them if they want to see a magic trick...

If the people haven't seen that much magic in real life and your presentation is relatively good their reactions should be loud enough for people to to hear and become curious enough to wonder over to take a look...

as for presentation... I'm pretty boring when it comes to that, I just tell them what's happening with a few onomatopoeias ... I take this card and put it in this packet and BOOM here it is in the other packet...

Just remember that your spectators aren't stupid... treat them with respect especially if they're older than you... and add a few jokes so your routine isn't completely dry...

Hope this helps

With all due respect,

ZG

Jun 20, 2008
If I feel like performing i'll typically just flourish around with my cards until someone asks to see a trick. I like this because it shows that they want to see one and that they're not going to be a jerk to you. It also might be good to do some false cuts and shuffles if you have a setup. The only downfall to this is if you're just not in the mood for performing, or you don't have a setup then just explain to them that you're not in the mood for performing and that you're just practicing.

P.S. I have really bad nerves when I perform too, so your not the only one who has similar problems. :D

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Usually, i just walk down a busy street doing springs, 2h cuts, boomerang card, long distance spinner and stuff to catch people attention. Eventually, someone one will come up to you and say 2 things. One, they'll say something like "You're pretty good with those cards there" and you can say "Yea, thanks. Hey, you wanna see a magic trick?" and start there. The second thing they might say, and i get this like 60% of the time suprisingly, is they'll say something about gambling. Such as "You gonna play some poker later?" or "Gee, i wouldnt wanna play blackjack with you." At that point, i would say do one of 2 things. I would either say "No, i dont gamble. But show what i do. You want to see?" or i'll agree with them and start off with a gambling related trick (those are always fun) or you could pull out prophet and say "Pssh, who needs gambling when you can do this?" So ya thats just mainly what i do. Hope this helps.

Apr 30, 2008
PA
i usually just do verry visual things and let them come to me but sometimes you just gota go up to people and say hey wana see some tricks or something along those lnes it usually works for me but good luck

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
To be honest, I have the exact same problem!

I'm lucky, though because I have some people I do shows for, so I don't perform street magic or street hypnosis.

Personally, I think the idea of just doing some flourishing, letting the people come to you first is a great idea. Or approaching someone by saying "Hi, I'm ...., and your name is? Nice to meet you. May I do something for you?" or something to that effect, implying that you are not going to require something from them, but you are going to give something to them.

Makes quite a difference. Don't say things that will bring up their "defenses". Use phrases like "Would you like to see something amazing?" or "I would like to show people a something wonderful, would you help me?" That sort of thing, you are involving the person without actually putting them into a "contract".

Hope that helps.

Okay, first of all, get out there and perform a lot. The only way to gain confidence is to do a lot of performances.
Now, don't use lines, they always sound cheesy. It's like pickup lines, they are really cheesy and people can see you practised them in front of the mirror.
But really, it's that simple... Find people who are not busy and who are having a good time, walk up to them with the deck of cards (or whatever) in your hand. Be very polite, say something like "excuse me, can I have a moment of your time? I'm a street magician and I was wondering if I could show you a trick". Then do something very flashy, simple, quick that they'll remember for the rest of their lives. An ACR maybe demonstrates nice sleight of hand, but the reaction would usually be "Cool, you can bring the card to the top! That's great!" as opposed to a trick like distortion, where the reaction will be more on the line of "Holy f***ing s**t, how the hell did he do that?!". So yeah, give them your best, most visual, and most importantly quick and simple trick.
And of course, if they say no, don't get discouraged, it's completely okay, just go on forward to the next person or group of people.

My problem isnt starting the performances, its dropping stuff. I never drop cards/coins when practicing but as soon as I get outside that damn wind takes hold of my and I drop something at least once a routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results