Brand new series of the Masked Magician

Sep 1, 2007
UK
According to the latest issue of Magicseen magazine, a brand new series of the Masked Magician is on it's way for 2008/9, with a full 13 episodes. It also says that there is already interest from UK TV stations.

Apologies if this is old news, but I couldn't find it elsewhere on the forums.

Huruey

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania

Ugh... this series again... i haven't heard that one. I must take out the Masked magician... :mad:

Thanks for the update,

I may watch it to see what tricks NOT to perform though...

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
hmm... Thought this was done with by now. Valentino's arguement as to why he does the show is interesting, but I believe that if you truly respect the art this is magic... you wont tarnish it by revealing the secrets.

Sep 1, 2007
hmm... Thought this was done with by now. Valentino's arguement as to why he does the show is interesting, but I believe that if you truly respect the art this is magic... you wont tarnish it by revealing the secrets.

The reality is he does it for the money - if anyone has seen his skill, you know it is not at a professional level, so he decides to do this.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Him doing it for money goes without saying. It's true he lacks skill but given that he was a performer in Vegas for a period of time you'd think he'd respect it more than he does.

Jan 13, 2008
I could be wrong, but I believe I saw an advertisement for the show starting up this fall--October 6th, if my memory serves me correctly.

Either way, I'm not all that worried...in fact, I'll just be taking this opportunity to ride the popularity wave that it'll likely provide. If the impact is anything like the last time the series was on, it'll promote the discussion of magic among laymen, which I'll gladly capitalize on. Of course, they usually forget the methods either the next day, or sometimes AS they watch the show (no joke), so it's also not a worry in that regard.

That's right, silver lining. Look at the silver lining. :)

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I could be wrong, but I believe I saw an advertisement for the show starting up this fall--October 6th, if my memory serves me correctly.

Either way, I'm not all that worried...in fact, I'll just be taking this opportunity to ride the popularity wave that it'll likely provide. If the impact is anything like the last time the series was on, it'll promote the discussion of magic among laymen, which I'll gladly capitalize on. Of course, they usually forget the methods either the next day, or sometimes AS they watch the show (no joke), so it's also not a worry in that regard.

That's right, silver lining. Look at the silver lining. :)

I have to go along with this.

I was watching one of his shows with my girlfriend when it aired in Germany. He revealed the "produce woman from a box" trick.

About an hour later, I was showing her some simple card tricks. I made a reference to the "woman from box" trick and she said "How did they do that again?"

In truth, the audience has poor, poor memories. Some thing might stick, sure, but for the most part the people watch won't remember a whole lot.

The only ones who will are the ones who tape the show specifically to learn the secret. Those people are the ones who look up secrets on youtube.....

You can tell that the masked magician is a magician who has probably never felt anything between a person with his magic. I dont think he realizes what he is doing . It is true that most people dont remember how anything was done, but for that moment he has crushed them, dissapointed them, he has let there hopes Down, and for that moment they dont believe in anything any more.

He is doing the complete opposite of what the rest of us work our hardest to achieve. The sad part is he probably has no idea what he is doing to people.

But in time just like all the other series of this show, people forget! People like believing in magic, so they throw the methods out of memory!:)

Sometimes people don't want to spend money on clothes... so they steal them.

Huruey

Ok now your comparing cloths to magic. Then cars, then dvds. I'm not saying to pirate things but I'm just saying that some people wouldn't want to pay 20 dollars on a simple levitation when they can learn it from a show. Alot of magicians reveal tricks. I think there was a thread saying that R paul wilson( I don't remember the guy but he was a good magician) was revealing alot of tricks on his tv show. Maybe some random guy would watch the show and get inspired to learn magic.

There's a difference between revealing gambling ruses in the context of a con-artist show and revealing the workings of an illusion you did not create. The former gives the viewer something useful, even if it's simply an awareness of such techniques.

The latter ruins that illusion for them during that viewing, or at the very least reveals to them how remedial an amazing piece of magic really is when you pull back the curtain.

Pj

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Ok now your comparing cloths to magic. Then cars, then dvds. I'm not saying to pirate things but I'm just saying that some people wouldn't want to pay 20 dollars on a simple levitation when they can learn it from a show. Alot of magicians reveal tricks. I think there was a thread saying that R paul wilson( I don't remember the guy but he was a good magician) was revealing alot of tricks on his tv show. Maybe some random guy would watch the show and get inspired to learn magic.

Within the context of the point at hand, my analogy was a good one.

Both magic and X product have an originator/creator who put Y amount of work into creating them. Both can be "stolen" without any payment or credit given to that originator.

I'm surprised that you refer to magic as an "art" so lightly, and seemingly with such little understanding of what really makes magic, and such little respect for the people who make magic.

On a further note, I watched "Don't miss a trick", and barely anything was "exposed". The main big things that were revealed were original and created specifically for the show. The smaller tricks that were revealed were the kind of thing you might find in a kid's magic book for $1. The very good illusions were not revealed at all, just there for the viewer's entertainment.

Huruey

Sep 20, 2007
10/06/08
9/8c

"I love the show, I learn a lot of new tricks."
-Lance Burton

Last edited by a moderator:
Within the context of the point at hand, my analogy was a good one.

Both magic and X product have an originator/creator who put Y amount of work into creating them. Both can be "stolen" without any payment or credit given to that originator.

I'm surprised that you refer to magic as an "art" so lightly, and seemingly with such little understanding of what really makes magic, and such little respect for the people who make magic.

On a further note, I watched "Don't miss a trick", and barely anything was "exposed". The main big things that were revealed were original and created specifically for the show. The smaller tricks that were revealed were the kind of thing you might find in a kid's magic book for $1. The very good illusions were not revealed at all, just there for the viewer's entertainment.

Huruey

Hmm yeah I guess your right. The last time I watched the show was probably a year ago and that was the first season I watch online. DOn't know what the have been exposing these days. Well I'm pretty sure he's a magician that gets paid probably 10x more now than when he used to be just like us.

I'm one of those random guys. The first show of the masked magician inspired to perform magic in the first place, the way magicians thought of ways to create these illusions made me want to be like them, made me want to be one among Eleven.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You can tell that the masked magician is a magician who has probably never felt anything between a person with his magic. I dont think he realizes what he is doing . It is true that most people dont remember how anything was done, but for that moment he has crushed them, dissapointed them, he has let there hopes Down, and for that moment they dont believe in anything any more.

I don't understand this particular argument. He shows the audience how a trick is done, and so he crushes them? They're watching the show, so it's fair to assume that they're interested in the secrets - they know what the show is about, and so he is fulfilling their expectations. How on earth is that dissapointing anyone, or letting their hopes down? That's illogical... For the average lay person viewer, seeing how a trick is done does not let them down because it is a TV show which they are watching to see magic tricks revealed! I'm not debating the ethics of exposure, but this particular argument is questionable.

Mar 14, 2011
He has sold his soul to the network; that's all. If he was offered the same money to just do a show he would have taken that option. Magicians who say that his show is the reason they got in to magic are missing a point. Teaching a million people a method so that one of them might become a magician is pointless and self defeating.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results