What tricks do you get the greatest reactions with?

Sep 20, 2008
Israel
What tricks do you find bring out the biggest reactions from people?

I find that a lot simple tricks, or the first tricks I learned, can get great reactions, I believe this is because they are so simple and you have mastered them and perform them absolutely smoothly, that you can direct all your attention or effort to the patter, presentation, and giving life to the trick. Tricks like the Two detectives, Triumph, or just a color-change.

What thoughts do you have on this, do you agree?
Which simple tricks do you find get the greatest reactions?

Feb 28, 2008
All of them, if i dont get a great reaction... i won't do it after the first test run on someone :)

Really? You don't try to work on it to make it better?

I think it's very difficult to gauge as different people have different reactions.

Like Stigmata... sometimes people freak out and other times people are silent and in awe.

I've had people screaming for card to mouth while others just snickered. I think it's very much upon your audience...

But overall I think my ACR gets a very good reaction because people laugh and have fun and see a lot of changes.

Sep 15, 2008
Doesn't matter

The tricks themselves cannot be performed alone on the table. The tricks that get the greatest reactions are the one's that are performed smoothly, cleanly, and entertainingly. We could both perform the same trick and get different reactions. Work on your patter, and distractions. Then work on the tricks. If you have to cover a move, you could say hey check out that hot girl over there. You could turn into an elephant for that distraction.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
The extent to which i go before even performing an effect- tbh there's very little to 'improve upon'. I dont like using gaffs or gimmicks for the most part on occasion when i do perform. But the effects I do- i practice until i damn near fool myself seeing them on camera or in a mirror. Patter for me comes naturally as i perform the trick- and my patter isn't the same for a trick (each performance of it) except for my Triumph. I can get a gauge of the effect a trick will have on the audience very quickly since i dont perform for just ONE demographic. But a mix of people. Certain tricks i can tell from the actual execution if it will be hard hitting- and generally the reaction confirms the thought.

Just because you learn 50 tricks doesn't mean you perform ALL 50, you weed out the ones you dont like, and ones you test and get subpar results with until you are down to a core set of tricks you can perform and kill. And then you build upon that 'core' set with new ones as you learn them.

May 8, 2008
England
I think it's very much upon your audience... QUOTE]

Exactly. A classic two card monte can get a crazy reactions as the cards are turned. Equally I've got the dread 'ah cool'.

It's depends how a trick is presented, what you do with it I think. For example I do just a force with some fancy Derren Brown patter and I get great reactions, it's one slight, but the fact that they shuffle their card into the deck which goes back in the box, and it's a 'mind-reading trick' - people like it.

Guess I'm trying to say it's how something is presented, to re-iterate a point.

Having said that I love visual and hard hitting stuff. No one forgets Witness...

-S

Aug 7, 2008
I think if a trick requires forcing a card on top, or even just controling a card to the top, the trick will get MUCH better reactions if you just do a simple riffle force. It turns from "oh sleight of hand, kinda cool," to "How did you read my mind!? DEMON!" Little things like that take, lets say triumph, to a whole new level.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I think if a trick requires forcing a card on top, or even just controling a card to the top, the trick will get MUCH better reactions if you just do a simple riffle force. It turns from "oh sleight of hand, kinda cool," to "How did you read my mind!? DEMON!" Little things like that take, lets say triumph, to a whole new level.

That's why new controls are created. Things like the pass where the deck is simply squared up rather than cut of shuffled improve the whole trick due to the "he didn't even do anything" factor. This is the point why every ambitious routine works. The card goes into the middle without a single "move", yet returns to the top instantly.

May 18, 2008
I have to say that everything I do gets great reactions.

But the most awesome card things I do are like Aces, Half Vanish, Angle Zero, Lapse, Tommy Wonder stuff, Jay Sankey stuff...

Everything I do, actually.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I would have to say a card through table I do gets the best reactions.

Routining with my friend at parties was always fun. We developed an entire mentalism/psychic routine that always kills.

Ummm....ACR, signed card to hat/mouth/shoe... card to spectators pocket, lapse, fatal...

Sponge balls get fun reactions too.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
although i firmly believe that a simple trick can be turned into a miracle with the right patter and presentation here are some that have worked great for me:
Indecent Wayne houchin
Stigmata W.H
Control W.H
Angle zero Daniel madison
BREACH D+M
bound and wrath D+M
Fatal D+M
.............................................. and a lot more.........................
P.S i perform mostly D+M's effects

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Without a doubt, some of the strongest reactions I've got have been from Stigmata. Such a strong effect. However, I do obviously strive to evoke strong reactions from everything I perform.

As an aside, I'm releasing a booklet (Shh, it's supposed to be a secret) tipping the work on a handful of effects that generally, as a rule, get CRAZY feedback.

All I can say right now is... the material is all very COOL.

CL

Sep 19, 2008
Singapore
Control... W:H
Stigmata.... W:H
Distortion.. W:H
ACR...
Triumph....

Those tricks give me great reaction.... :D
Don't ask why almost all of them are W:H..... Coz I'm a fan of him.... :D

Stephen

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
i went out to a bar one night way back when Stigmata first came out, i did it so many times i had to stop because my arm was completely red, tender, and it didnt' work anymore. hah. Was fun though.

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
typically the best tricks are the tricks that occur within the spectators hands... i.e. you hand them the deck and let them do the trick... and after that tricks with a totally unexpected ending...like calling someone and having them name the card...

Sep 25, 2008
Singapore
Anything from Wayne Houchin works great for me, especially Stigmata..Had people running out of the room after the revelation.. Tricks from Ultragaff (another work of wonder by danny garcia and wayne houchin) is another nice thing to add on to the equation..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results