The Grand Theatre Mystery

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I wrote this as a project for English, but I thought you guys would like it too. See if you can figure it out!

As the sky grew dimmer in the gathering dusk, moonlight began to shimmer on the glassy windows of the Grand Theatre. Detective Howard Dante was walking confidently towards the wide front doors. Before he entered he took one last look at the menacing theatre. To his left a sinister looking man was removing the letters from a brightly lit marquee. It was a cold night, and Detective Dante was grateful when he passed through the elegant revolving doors. The warmth of the theater washed over him, but the mood was anything but welcoming. Everything was quiet, and Dante could almost smell death in the air. Seconds later the eerie silence was broken by a small man with watery who approached from the shadows.
“Ah, Detective Dante. Thank you for Coming. My name is Alexander Thurston. The body is just over here.” Said the man as he walked quickly over to Dante.
The detective followed the man silently through the theatre. It was almost empty except for theatre staff and a lone construction worker fixing the broken elevator. Dante and Thurston took the stairs to the lowest level.
“Here we are.” whispered Mr. Thurston quietly, as they entered a darkly lit room.
“Thank you Mr. Thurston.” Muttered Detective Dante as he peered into the mysterious room.
The scene that met the detective’s eyes was one he would never forget. In the middle of the floor a man lay peacefully on his side, undeniably dead. Detective Dante walked carefully towards the body. As he neared closer he could make out a playing card, the Ace of Spades, stuck inches deep into the man’s neck. The man was bald, his electric blue eyes fixed upon the wall. Dante looked away.
“What happened here?” asked the detective, the gruesome images of the body still fresh in his mind.
“Nobody knows,” Replied Mr. Thurston simply “It all seemed to happen so quickly.”
Detective Dante frowned grimly.
“He was a magician, I was his manager,” continued Mr. Thurston. “Tonight was going to be his first show in the new theatre.”
“Where were you during all of this?” inquired Dante.
“I was upstairs, talking with the theatre staff. We needed to make sure that everything was ready for the show. I rode the elevator down here and found him like this… dead.” Replied Mr. Thurston.
“Hmm…” the detective said looking around.
“I’ve been his manager for over 10 years, this is horrible.” Said Mr. Thurston miserably.
“Well let’s see how you can manage prison Mr. Thurston,” exclaimed Dante suddenly. “You are under arrest!”

How did Detective Dante know it was Mr. Thurston?

Sep 1, 2007
I think that Detective Dante knew it was Mr. Thurston because Thurston told Dante that he had taken the elevator down to see what was going on, but that could not be possible because a construction worker was fixing the elevator that was not working.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results