My Magic Show...

Alright guys, so my mom is a teacher in our town and she teaches third grade. The princepal of her school loves me even though I never attented that school. He loves magic and always has been into it. So every year my mom lets teachers sign up for a time on a certain day for me to do a magic show for some kids. I have been doing it for 3 years now and this year something cool happened.

So many teachers requested me back, and so many teachers that didn't have me in before want me that I have to have two days this year. The first day is a day I am already out of school for vacation (but my moms school isn't.) It is November 26. I will be performing for 6 third grade classes. ( It is a half day at school.) for of the classes will be combining into 2 large classes, so technically I will be doing 4 shows. Each will last about half an hour, and school is 3 hours that day. It only takes about ten minutes for me to reset and move onto the next class, so I will have plenty of time.

The second date is on December 22. I do have school this day but my mom allows me to skip that day because we feel that brightening up some kids day is better than school the day before holiday break. This day I will be performing for any First, second, or fourth grade class that wants me. The sheets are already filing up to have me in. i have more time this day because it is a full day. Each show again is 30 min and reset and movement is 10 min. Plenty of time.

So this is going to be fun. Also, i might be able to okay the use of a lighter and flash paper with the princepal as long as I prove that I am totally safe with it. I hope I can uses them because I want to dissapear a ring and put a peice of flash paper on a string light it up and have it turn into the ring on the string.

My plans for the show, all my tricks in order, willl be listed as I develop a good routine. The top one is the first and the bottom is the last one. Anyway just thought I'd share... I'll update as I go.

MY ROUTINE...

Crossed- You cross your arms right over left and lock them and twist to the left but the magician is the only one who gets his arms undone.

Wand From Wallet- My magic wand (1 foot long) is pulled out of a 4 inch wallet.

Cups and Balls- balls disolve through cups.

Sponge Balls- My own routine

(Produce a card box and say "Do you know what these are?" When they say Cards I say "No. Rope." And pull rope from the box

Torn and Restored Rope- Cut it in half, tie it together, then pull the know off. good as new.

Ring on String- Dissapear my moms wedding ring put a flash paper peice on a rope, ignite it. In its place is the ring.

Magic Coloring book- coloring book is filled with color then goes blank.

(Produce a real deck of Cards.)

David Stone's: Ghost- You select say a two of diamonds. I get it wrong. Then it changes in their hand and the deck melts leaving me with all the twos.

2 Card Monte- I give them the 2 black aces talk about switching them then pull them out from my pocket and they have jokers.

Ambitious Card- my own version. (adapted for a large class.)

GRAND FINALE: Angle Zero- Torn corner appears anywhere. The corner will be appearing in an envelope on the wall where they won't notice it until pointed out. (Really is the exact corner.)

That is what I am planning. Plans have changed also. More of the classes are combininf allowing me to have a 50 kinute show each. This is why there are a lot of effects. Any concerns? Please tell me.

Dylan P.

Any suggestions on tricks that would be good for third graders that I could use would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2008
NYC
Hey, sounds awesome!
Maybe you can do a couple rubberband tricks here and there? idk like crazy man's cuffs or missing link; something like that. Or idk, maybe use tattoo joe (if you have it) for some visual effects (visual effects always get good reactions :p) But I would also suggest tricks that get the kids involved, like you've mentioned, the arm twisting trick. Those are always fun. And maybe you can actually teach the most simple trick in the world that anyone can do, just so that they can go home and show their parents or something.
Just some suggestions.
I hope it goes great! :]
Tell us how it goes, or maybe you can take a video or something and SHOW us how it goes. :D

Sep 1, 2007
It scares me a little that youre show is 16 days away and you're asking what tricks people suggest. All too often recently, Ive been seeing people with similar questions; "what tricks should I do for this age group, I have a show in two weeks" or something of the likes.

The way I look at it, if you dont have the material to performa certain gig, DONT. Youre only hurting yourself by takig on a gig you arent ready for.

That said, you've apparently been doing this for a while, so one would assume that worst comes to worst, you do still have some things perpared.

Honestly, don't come and ask people what you should perform though. They have no idea what your skill level is, what tricks you perform regularly, and what type of stuff you perform. I could suggest a million tricks that would work great for your age group, but would you be able to PERFECT them by your show? I dont think so.

Too much work has to go in to what youre going to say when, what moves, presentation, so much has to go in to EVERY trick you perform. I dont care how well you can get the mechanics down in 16 days, it's not going to be perfect. Once again, you hurt yourself by performing these things.

So whats my advice? Perform what youre comfortable performing. Do what you do best, and make it your best. DONT perform things that people suggest in a random internet forum, they dont know you at all and cant judge what you can do.

Just go with what you know man, and take these next 16 days to perfect and present it to the best of your abilities. Do that, and I'm sure it'll go great.

Cheers,
Lucas

i have done the same thing.
and these are some tricks kids love
they love sponge balls
and hummer card (flys around)
if you have one ricky Raccoon
if they are third grade you need something very easy for them to follow but still impresive for the teachers.

ive heard that cups and balls work well.

and as earlyer if you want to teach a trick, there is the one with the dollar bill and the paperclips where they hook together. its in the Klutz book of magic.
I sometimes teach the rubberband trick where it jumps from your pointer and middle finger to your ring and pinky finger

Sep 3, 2007
^Agreed, but I suppose a few suggestions for simple tricks that can work great couldn't hurt.
*Linking rings
*Break away wand (my favorite)
*Anything where the magician appears to mess up, then comes back on top.
*Confetti to candy (Ask the teacher first)

Sep 15, 2008
What effects have you done in the past years? You have new kids this year so don't think you can't use those effects again.

I did a show last fall for an elementary school. My best friend's mom was the librarian and they had what was called "Fun Friday" where the grades would break up into three different groups and rotate from the playground, to the gym, to the library.

My audience was 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders, 3 shows per grade, for 35 minutes each. Talk about a long day.

Some of the effects i did were:

A d'light routine
Needle through balloon
Sankey's Practice Pack
Backstage
Charming Chinese Challenge
Vanishing Bandanna

From the looks of it, none of the effects would mesh mold together to well...let alone take up 35 minutes. But it was the by play and interaction with the kids that got me through it and made them love it. Even the teachers enjoyed the shows.

When you say 3rd graders, magician's who have never performed for them think all they will understand is spongeballs and break-away wands. The routine that the kids who saw me perform still talk to me about is the Chinese coin routine.

Any trick will play for them as long as you adapt them.

If you want some more help, find me on Facebook and I'll chat with you some more. And most importantly; GOOD LUCK!!!

- Frank Fogg

It scares me a little that youre show is 16 days away and you're asking what tricks people suggest. All too often recently, Ive been seeing people with similar questions; "what tricks should I do for this age group, I have a show in two weeks" or something of the likes.

The way I look at it, if you dont have the material to performa certain gig, DONT. Youre only hurting yourself by takig on a gig you arent ready for.

That said, you've apparently been doing this for a while, so one would assume that worst comes to worst, you do still have some things perpared.

Honestly, don't come and ask people what you should perform though. They have no idea what your skill level is, what tricks you perform regularly, and what type of stuff you perform. I could suggest a million tricks that would work great for your age group, but would you be able to PERFECT them by your show? I dont think so.

Too much work has to go in to what youre going to say when, what moves, presentation, so much has to go in to EVERY trick you perform. I dont care how well you can get the mechanics down in 16 days, it's not going to be perfect. Once again, you hurt yourself by performing these things.

So whats my advice? Perform what youre comfortable performing. Do what you do best, and make it your best. DONT perform things that people suggest in a random internet forum, they dont know you at all and cant judge what you can do.

Just go with what you know man, and take these next 16 days to perfect and present it to the best of your abilities. Do that, and I'm sure it'll go great.

Cheers,
Lucas

Oh no! I already know all the tricks that I am going to perform I am simply linking them together with patter so it will make sense. I was simply asking this question because I can still add another five minutes onto all of my shows if desired so if there is something I can get that might be good. I already know what I am doing but I just thought if there was any cool things that might add another five minutes on then it might be worth it. I am already prepared sorry if it cam off like I am not. I am simply linking the effects togetherwith patter.

A d'light routine
Needle through balloon

I own D'light and I was considering it but the D'lights are a different (darker) skin tone then my hands and I get called out sometimes. Any ideas on how to make the color more realistic?

I know how this effect is done but I would like to know where you find that giant needle that magicians use at kids parties.

Dylan P.

Sep 3, 2007
I own D'light and I was considering it but the D'lights are a different (darker) skin tone then my hands and I get called out sometimes. Any ideas on how to make the color more realistic?

I know how this effect is done but I would like to know where you find that giant needle that magicians use at kids parties.

Dylan P.
You need to no show off your thumb as much. Most of the time your thumb should be hidden. Also, for showing your hands empty, maybe get the lights dimmer for the entire routine, it'll look nicer and it will be harder to notice the skin tone difference. Oh, and if you move your hand faster during the whole thing it will be harder for anyone to spot, if you are supper paranoid you could try to do the thing where you hold your thumb directly towards the audience.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
i have done the same thing.
and these are some tricks kids love
they love sponge balls
and hummer card (flys around)
if you have one ricky Raccoon
if they are third grade you need something very easy for them to follow but still impresive for the teachers.

ive heard that cups and balls work well.

and as earlyer if you want to teach a trick, there is the one with the dollar bill and the paperclips where they hook together. its in the Klutz book of magic.
I sometimes teach the rubberband trick where it jumps from your pointer and middle finger to your ring and pinky finger

Eek, please completely ignore this post. My lack of knowledge in regards to the American education system is incredibly embarassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I was third grade last year and, quite frankly, if someone tried to show me hummer card or Ricky Raccoon, I would be incredibly patronized. You don't need something very easy for them to follow, it isn't like you're doing magic for 5 year olds. Seriously, 3rd grade isn't that young. We're not all stupid.:rolleyes:

I've entertained adults with a D'Lite and Rocky. Don't underestimate its power, Randomwrath.

As for the needle through balloon, Google works well ;)

-ThrallMind

Alright, so I just finihed putting the patter together that will link all my effects in the show. The tricks are in order and I think they are really going to get some good results. Also, the coloring book I might only use for younger grades than third. So tell me what you think. Any Concerns?

Dylan P.

Oh. Well, I don't want to ruin that perfect deck of cards I did ghost with so I would need to swith to a crappy deck of cards so I would simply say something like, "Oh no! Now, I don't have my cards. Do any of you have some? No? You do I think. (point to a random kid.) But they're invisible go ahead and reach into your pocket and throw them to me. (He pretends obviously.)"

When he throws I will jump as if something cold touched me. And go "What the heck!" And shake my leg as they watch a new, different colored, deck of cards fall out of my pants leg.

Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results