Card Gallery Effect

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
That looks very good to me. I would say the card they picked first and then point to it, then as a surprise make it appear out of the glass. Just my 2 cents.
It would have been good with patter also, to see how you perform it.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I don't want to be "that guy", but to me, it just doesn't seem practical.
Basically it's one of those tricks where you would say, "Hey come to my room so I can show you a trick."
Not really my style, I enjoy doing magic that's "on-the-go" so I could perform at friend's party's or other gatherings at anytime.

The trick looks alright, but nothing I would brag about. It just looks like your picking up the card that was taped on a poster. Is it suppose to be behind glass/plastic?

This trick so far looks to me that it can be accomplished with a simple force and tape.

Not to come down on you, it's just criticism. I would want the same done to me if I wanted an honest answer. Don't see it as me being harsh, just take it as ways to make this trick look better.
If I were you, I'd think to myself, "Okay, how could I make the card look like it's really under glass."
I would make the glass see-thru red and then you would visually see the card change colors since it's now in front than behind the red glass. That would be a cool trick. . .

Once again, I'm not trying to sound rude. The only way we can be better is if we be honest with each other, otherwise we'd all suck.:p

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
not bad. not a bad idea at all.
just as DannyT has said, its not the most flexible and practical of tricks, but I am sure that if you hang the whole poster thingy somewhere like a shop or somewhere you always hang with people. You are sure to get "OH COOL POSTER" or what ever. and there we go.
but basically,
I find that the effect isn't strong enough. It has so much more potential than what you have done with it.
lemme just give an example.
1. you show the display thingy. they check blah blah. Card is picked. Card is returned. Card is lost. You pick the card out of the display. The card has dissappeared from deck. Now that is more amazing than just a "prediction" type thing in my opinion.
or
2. This might not be possible but it seems hella more cool. You show the display but this time it is fully backs. No faces. This is a see through glass display by the way which you can then turn around to show the faces (i doubt its possible though) They choose a card, it is signed, returned to deck. what ever. You then go to look at the backs of the cards to "sense" their card. You randomly pick one and pull it out. You leave it in their hand or what ever. you turn the display around to show the faces. Ask them to find the equivolent of their card. They cant. They look at the card you pulled out. Its the signed one.
3. how bout a moving card in the display. You find their card. You move the card around while its still inside the display and you finally push it out.

Jan 6, 2009
I don't want to be "that guy", but to me, it just doesn't seem practical.
Basically it's one of those tricks where you would say, "Hey come to my room so I can show you a trick."
Not really my style, I enjoy doing magic that's "on-the-go" so I could perform at friend's party's or other gatherings at anytime.

The trick looks alright, but nothing I would brag about. It just looks like your picking up the card that was taped on a poster. Is it suppose to be behind glass/plastic?

This trick so far looks to me that it can be accomplished with a simple force and tape.

Not to come down on you, it's just criticism. I would want the same done to me if I wanted an honest answer. Don't see it as me being harsh, just take it as ways to make this trick look better.
If I were you, I'd think to myself, "Okay, how could I make the card look like it's really under glass."
I would make the glass see-thru red and then you would visually see the card change colors since it's now in front than behind the red glass. That would be a cool trick. . .

Once again, I'm not trying to sound rude. The only way we can be better is if we be honest with each other, otherwise we'd all suck.:p
Hey! I appreciate the criticism. Maybe it wasn't clear, but by the spectator rubbing the glass of the poster, that action would hopefully dispell any thoughts of the card being on the front of the glass. The surface of the poster is smooth and I want the audience to know that the card isn't on the front of the glass.

I understand your view on how this effect is probably not for you. I'm a magician too and I understand the whole "street" and walk-around situation. I'm developing a Street version of this effect as well. The poster will be handheld and I think it will appeal to magicians that are more walkaround. I appreciate the honesty.

cmak

Jan 6, 2009
not bad. not a bad idea at all.
just as DannyT has said, its not the most flexible and practical of tricks, but I am sure that if you hang the whole poster thingy somewhere like a shop or somewhere you always hang with people. You are sure to get "OH COOL POSTER" or what ever. and there we go.
but basically,
I find that the effect isn't strong enough. It has so much more potential than what you have done with it.
lemme just give an example.
1. you show the display thingy. they check blah blah. Card is picked. Card is returned. Card is lost. You pick the card out of the display. The card has dissappeared from deck. Now that is more amazing than just a "prediction" type thing in my opinion.
or
2. This might not be possible but it seems hella more cool. You show the display but this time it is fully backs. No faces. This is a see through glass display by the way which you can then turn around to show the faces (i doubt its possible though) They choose a card, it is signed, returned to deck. what ever. You then go to look at the backs of the cards to "sense" their card. You randomly pick one and pull it out. You leave it in their hand or what ever. you turn the display around to show the faces. Ask them to find the equivolent of their card. They cant. They look at the card you pulled out. Its the signed one.
3. how bout a moving card in the display. You find their card. You move the card around while its still inside the display and you finally push it out.
Thanks for the feedback. I love your innovative ideas. My team discussed the idea of a clear poster that could be seen on both sides. I also liked your idea about the moving card in the display. It's very cool. This is more of a stage effect, and maybe that wasn't made clear. The poster is placed and displayed on a easel. Anyway, thanks for the input.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
I think this is a great piece of magic. I think it would be great for a parlor show or stand-up show. It just seems like there should be more to the effect than pulling the selected card though the glass. I think that should be the kicker at the end, but there should be some build up to the routine. I believe this trick has a lot of potential and you should try and get more out of it.

(Assuming you can show the front and back of it)

Have you tried using a torn corner for the effect?

The magician shows the back of the poster and all the cards are red-backed.
Spectator selects a card from a blue deck. The corner of the card is ripped off and given to the spectator to hold. The Magician vanishes the selected card, waves his hand over the corresponding card in the poster and the corner of the corresponding red-backed card is missing. The spectator feels the glass and acknowledges that the card is behind the glass. The torn corner matches the card behind the glass. The magician turns around the poster and shows that the torn card is now a blue backed card while the others are still red. The magician then pulls the torn card through the glass and gives it to the spectator.

-Calvin

Jan 6, 2009
Calvin,
I love the idea about the color changing card. This effect was meant for stage and parlor, not so much Street or walkaround. The only problem that I have the torn corner addition is that I'm a purist when it comes to card magic. I don't like corners begin torn from playing cards. I also don't like cards being thrown around on the ground, unless it's for a manipulation act. That's just me though. I appreciate the feedback. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results