Creativity Block

Axe

Apr 3, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Hey everyone;
Been a little while since I posted something. I am struggling with the fact that many,many of my ideas that I create, I see not long after in a video posted on decknique,youtube etc.. I can no longer call these moves my creations. I have been focusing really hard to try and create some original material(flourishes as well as magic tricks), but am having a creativity block. I used to be able to pick up a deck, and think of a bunch of 'new' moves. Now I really cant think of 1. Just wondering if you guys do anything when your at this point to try and spark up the creativity. If possible I would love to hear from some of the Theory11 crew as well. Thanks everyone.

Alex

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Hey man I know how you feel...im starting out in creating effects and variations. Right now I have 2 effects that Im currently working on...one is a nifty an simply variation on the anniversy walts...another is "secret" until further notice. But to overcome the magicians block as I call it is to do something else an take a break or to take ur mind off of it for awhile an return to it. Brainstorm ideas...look up older effects an revise an revamp them so they kick arse, or jus pop in your fav magik dvd or book...hope this helps! ~mike~

May 3, 2008
You should not create to create. If you've created some things that are not origianl, what does it matter? Work on them and make them better.

Jun 11, 2008
It's all good, man. We all have those 'blocks.'
Just remember though, that you cannot FORCE creativity, it just comes to you. No one can just pick up a deck and create infinate amounts of wonders with it. (unless you're Jay Sankey, haha, jk). Many of these moves that you just 'come up with' are so simple because of the little amounts of time put into them, that is why they are seen moments after 'creating' them, may be from so many other magicians.
But it's all good. :)
Just keep playing, and eventually, you'll discover a pressious jewel that you may find yourself improving and working on for years before you spill any sort of method. That is how great magicians are born, from really practicing their moves, and constantly improving on all of those little bells and whistles.
But just play, and let the creativity come to you.
When you dog runs away from you, calling him back to you won't work, he'll just keep on running around, but after a while of waiting, it will be at the door crying, and scratiching the door, begging to come back in.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I wrote this on the Dan and Dave Forum but ill post it here as well

Put down the deck for a while maybe even go try some coin magic and when you come back to your deck you will see it in a new light with many different ideas.

For example i was watching a movie last night and something they said sparked an idea in my i head and i went and wrote it down.

Keep a little note pad with you when your out or in just so if you get an idea you can write it down straight off

Also people have their own creative place go find yours it could be at a cafe, You Room, Just somewhere where you can sit and relax and just chill thats how i get some of my ideas i even go back and read The Art Of Astonishment that gets my creative juices flowing.

Tom

Try doing odd moves, like coin moves with cards, and something will pop into your head. Dunno how but it does.
For example, I've starting sleeving cards. Not sure why, but I purpose will pop up sometime.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
I firmly believe that you CAN force creativity in the form of challenges. There are certainly ways to get those creative juices flowing.

By setting challenges and obstacles, you might limit your technique; however, it pushes you to create a different path... so much so in fact, often times you'll find yourself creating new moves, ideas, and concepts.

Take for example THE'ME... many moves were created as a result of this technique (interlock concept, altar concept, back of the hand cuts, etc.) Sometimes you just have to look at things differently... even if it feels a bit silly.

You can also use ordinary objects to manipulate a deck of cards as well. I've played with using things at a restaurant... you'll be surprised to find that you can actually create short routines with everyday objects you see at a table. This juggles your creative aspects in many more ways than one. It gets you to think creatively and puts you on the right path. Play with it and see what you can come up with,

-Andrei Jikh

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results