Stage Magic

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Ok, guys. The gig is coming and i need more tricks to do on stage. It has to be about 2hrs long!!!!! Heres what i have so far.

Zombie Ball
Egg Bag
Spongeballs
Some card tricks
Lifesaver ( Dan Sperry)
Coin Operated Boy ( Dan Sperry)
Silk magic
Cups and Balls

What I am thinking to get:

Appearing And Vanishing Cane
Vanishing Dove Cage, with dove
Dove Pan.

Thanks guys for your help.

Any other non pricy tricks i could get?

thanks

Dec 4, 2008
Thread - Wayne Houchin
I highly recommend the Silver metal appearing cane by fantasio. Don't practice in the house.
Anything off of Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries 1 or 2.
The Russian Roulette effect that uses a knife or nail with 3 Styrofoam cups.
Anything with a TT.
There is a trick called Psychic Crayons that uses the 1 ahead principle.
Diappearing Ketchup Bottle
Psychokinetic Silverware - Banachek
Book Test such as Word in a Million
Rope magic such as Professor's Nightmare
Something that utilizes Daniel Madison's The Advocate
Flow - Dan Hauss
Emotional Intelligence - Luke Jermay
The Floating Rose - Kevin James (Requires a lot of practice but is well worth the effort)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2008
Geneva, Ohio
actually if you would like, you could do the dancing cane. (ONLY if you know how to do it) If not, I wouldnt worry about it for now. It takes much practice to master that routine.

You could look into The Vanashing Bandanna Trick. It only last about between 5 to 10 minutes. Depending on your acting. Heres a very good example of what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5l4rI9lhg

Another one you could do is The Linking Rings. Again, if you dont have, dont bother with it. Im just throwing ideas.

Last one ill give you is Card Manipulation Routine, You could do a long routine with something like that. Here's an example from Jeff McBride doing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZ3TBmS_r0

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Omg i love the vanishing bandana!

Anyways, you can do some rope magic but most rope routine will only take up about 5 minutes. You can drag it out longer but at that point the audience will be bored.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Why in some god's name will you needing to fill two hours. Even bigtime vegas shows don't do that. Magic's not THAT interesting. Most shows are 70 minutes... even Copperfield.

I hope you have an intermission planned.

How long do you have till' the show? Do NOT do something you buy a week before. You will make yourself look bad along with the rest of magic. Not trying to be mean, it's just true.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
2 hours is pretty rough.
I don't think it needs to be filled with trick after trick though.
Do something to entertain your audience other than magic.
Maybe some gag tricks.
Make 'em laugh and make it memorable.

However if you need to fill 2 hours and asking for our help, I can't believe you'll be ready in time.
Maybe you should consider speaking with the guy in charge about cutting down the time.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
So i have figured out all the tricks i can do for the show.

- Appearing Cane (Black) by Fantasio
- The Crimson Deck by Dan Sperry
- Ultimate Snowstorm Set (With Fan and Book)
- Vanishing Bird Cage
- Fiber Optics Extended DVD by Richard Sanders
- Silk
- Sponge Doves
- Zombie Ball
- Spongeballs
- Coin Operated Boy
- Lifesaver

Also have some more just tell me if i should add or take out any.

Thanks Guys!!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
So i have figured out all the tricks i can do for the show.
- Appearing Cane (Black) by Fantasio
- The Crimson Deck by Dan Sperry
- Ultimate Snowstorm Set (With Fan and Book)
- Vanishing Bird Cage
- Fiber Optics Extended DVD by Richard Sanders
- Silk
- Sponge Doves
- Zombie Ball
- Spongeballs
- Coin Operated Boy
- Lifesaver
Also have some more just tell me if i should add or take out any.
Thanks Guys!!

"Crimson deck by Dan Sperry" - That's a trick?

Do what with the silk?
Same for sponge dove?

This seems like a bunch of little gimmick tricks all mashed up into one performance.
It sounds as if it may come out a little sloppy. It needs a little structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
And actually what i would do is start out with Coin Operated boy. go into some coin dissapearances and some stuff like that. Pull a rope out and do routine with that from fiber optics. Then do the egg bag, into spongeballs and silks. I have a routine. Do the Cane and siks together. Do the zombie ball. And to finish it off, produce the foam doves (seeing that i cant get real ones right now) from a dove pan. Put them into the dove cage and vanish them.

If you guys could tell me somethings maybe to take out or something along those lines it would be great.

Also do you guys know if you have to use Java Doves for magic, or can you use different doves?

Sep 3, 2007
If you really need to fill 2 hours, find some local talent (musicians, break dancers, etc) and bring them along.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
There are so many things wrong with this from where i sit.

First I don't understand how on earth you should be even expected to fill 2 hours. Its your fault for not bringing that down but even worse that the producer would ask that of any performer.

That aside- You definitely should have a 15 minute intermission that'll fill time for sure. My idea would be to divide each act into different kinda of magic. Your effects are all a mish mash that amount to pile of magical crap. Each act needs to be structured and given a common theme. Audiences can and will notice garbage when it's happening.

Example- I decided to open a cabaret style show with thread, move to folded card from mouth, do a routine I call "whack the pack", and close with a rising deck. The show went reasonably ok but could have been so much better without the whack the pack portion. The reveal for that trick was a card to wallet. It did not fit at all into all of the other effects. The audience had been setup for very strange reveals, and the idea of pulling a card from my wallet was sub par and barely got a response. Its a great effect i just poorly routined it and paid for it when my show had a dead spot in it.

Also, I would highly suggest using a normal deck of cards on stage so they are recognizable from everyone in the audience and does not distract from the effect. You don't want the deck to be where their focus is. Also, I don't know where you learned "Coin Operated Boy" and for all I know you learned it from Dan himself, but I would really recommend NOT performing a working professional's unpublished, and signature effect. Please correct me if it is published.

Overall you have your work cut out for you. Find a 2 themes that work together and you can work magic with (pun intended). I truly wish you all the best although this post probably was a bit harsh at the end of the day they come from the best intentions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results