Getting a break

Oct 4, 2007
Hi everyone. I've seen threads on which double lifts are the best to perform but i haven't seen one on getting the initial break. I decided to start one as this is my (pretty much a newbie) biggest issue.
I only know of a few ways to get a break and they all seem to have drawbacks. I'll list them here (sorry if this drags on)

1. The first one i learned is just to push two cards off with the thumb as if dealing them and then pull them back and hold a break. For sure it's the easiest method but it's extremely obvious to the spectators burning your hands

2. Lifting two cards with your thumb from the back of the deck is another easy one but it's also suspicious, although less so then the previous one.

3. The pinky pull down is probably the toughest for a spectator to spot but I find it to be impossible, at least at my current level of skill. I just don't think my pinky is sensitive enough to 'feel' when I have two.

I would really love your toughts on this issue. Are there other ways? How do i make the ways I already know better? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
Hi there. Excellent question!

There are several different approaches to the problem; purists will tell you to master the pinky count, but some find it impractical. Even Greg Wilson comments that it takes too much concentration to do in the middle of a performance!

Others will wax lyrical about the merits of "no break" double turnovers; the strike double, the pushoff double etc. These are excellent techniques to be sure and well worth your time.

With regards to the "push off and pull back" method, there is nothing wrong with this. It is only obvious what is going on to a spectator if 1. they are staring down at the deck while you do it and/or 2. you go immediately into the double lift afterwards. Casually misdirect attention away from the cards as you do the "get ready". Wait a short while, say something, and then go into your double. Another approach to this is to keep the deck in motion while you do the get ready; the larger action of moving the deck disguises the smaller motion of getting the break.

The same advice goes for the "thumb lift" method - introduce a gap between preparing for the double and doing it. Two other tips for this get ready move: Don't pull up on the top two cards - pull DOWN on the rest of the deck. This means catching the top card on your thumb, lower the deck, catch the next one, lower the deck, and you have your break. Keep it very relaxed - there should be very little to see.

The other tip is to tilt the top end of the deck towards your spectator's eyeline as you do the move. All the sneaky stuff is hidden from view then. This is a very effective strategy.

At the end of the day, your spectators should not even be aware that you are getting a break. The best way to do this is to treat the action as completely unimportant. Disguise it in a bigger picture; dribble the cards from hand to hand, come in and square them up and get your break in the process. Spread the cards, injogging or sidejogging the second card, and as you square get your break. There are many strategies like this that you can use.

I would urge you to tailor your get ready/double lift technique to the trick at hand, taking best advantage of the specific situation you find yourself in.

Cheers,
David

Sep 1, 2007
All you really have to do is give yourself a reason to do these moves. For the spread method (the pushover get ready) simply talk about how youre going to use the deck of cards..as you say "this deck of cards" you spread a little and get your break as you close.

Just give yourself a reason to do these things.

That said, I use a strike double...no get readies for me!

Another double-lift you can use is a Larry Jenning snap double (not sure, but I think this is what it's called). It envolves a thumb-count, which is very practical. With the thumb you can easily count two or more cards, so you can do multiple lifts in a half second.

The pinky count is quite effective if you can master it. I'm not nearly there, but I can do it fairly good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results