Hired for Another Gig

So, where I live we have a "Main Street" which is full of restaurants, shops, and candy stores. It is basically where me and my friends go to hang out and talk with people. Well, a substitute teacher at my school, a younger guy, also works for the company that sets up all the events on main street, like the summer strolls, christmas strolls, etc. So he got my card and passed it along to his boss.

Well, she called me and told me that they were interested in adding a few more entertainers to their lineup because, every thursday night in the summer, they have an event where people come and get some free food, there aree games, shops stay open late, and the roads there are closed so people can walk around. In addition, there are also booths full of entertainers just looking to get noticed, make a couplke bucks, and have a good time. They range from Magicians, to Painters and Artists, to Jugglers, and contortionists. All who live here locally. We have a very gifted town.

So, they needed a couple more booths opened up all the way down the street. So, the woman called me and asked if I would be interested in being a performer at the events every Thursday night. Naturally I accepted. She told me that they pay is not a lot but it is just fun. That was okay with me. IT lasts fromlike 5 to 11 each Thursday. I am to set up a card table and my close up pad and perform card tricks, rope tricks, sponge balls, close up stuff, etc. For anyone who wants to walk by.

Tips, are also accepted. And I don't need a street performers license to d it because I was hired for the event by the town itself.

Cool.

Dylan P.

Im glad for you, you deserve it :).

BTW, is there such a thing as a street performer licnce? I didn't know about that one..

Well, that might not be the technicle name for it, that is what it amounts to. But some towns or states don't require you to have one. But other towns do. Basically, you can perform without the license but you can't disturb the peace, create a large crowd, have music amplified too much, block exits and entrances to buildings. And the biggest NO is that you can not solicit money without the license, if your town requires buskers to have one. That means you can't except tips on the street.

Dylan.

May 12, 2009
Well, that might not be the technicle name for it, that is what it amounts to. But some towns or states don't require you to have one. But other towns do. Basically, you can perform without the license but you can't disturb the peace, create a large crowd, have music amplified too much, block exits and entrances to buildings. And the biggest NO is that you can not solicit money without the license, if your town requires buskers to have one. That means you can't except tips on the street.

Dylan.
your right. anyway, hope all goes well!

May 4, 2009
If your looking to turn this into a career, print lots of business cards. You can get nice cards made these days for a lot cheaper than you'd think. You can go to a local print shop and get the classic black and white cards for like $35 a 1,000. Or there is an online site that makes full color process cards for way cheaper than I've ever seen anywhere. It's gotprint.com . I've have cards made through them for my home business. It's take about 2 weeks to get them here in Charleston, SC. They look stunning.

If your looking to turn this into a career, print lots of business cards. You can get nice cards made these days for a lot cheaper than you'd think. You can go to a local print shop and get the classic black and white cards for like $35 a 1,000. Or there is an online site that makes full color process cards for way cheaper than I've ever seen anywhere. It's gotprint.com . I've have cards made through them for my home business. It's take about 2 weeks to get them here in Charleston, SC. They look stunning.

Already got them. And they are great. They are black with metallic silver lettering that read:

Magician
Dylan Piknick

Phone #
childrens parties, walk around events, and private parties.

Next to my name is a blood red metallic spade.

Regarding business cards, it would do you some good to pick up a copy of the most recent Reel Magic Quarterly. Simon Lovell has a bit in there about cheap ass business cards. I've been to many lectures/conventions where magicians are passing their cards out...and a lot of them are crap. Spend the money on a good quality stock, printing, and design.

A bad business card can, and will, do you more harm than good, in my truthfully honest opinion.

Best.
Steve

May 4, 2009
Already got them. And they are great. They are black with metallic silver lettering that read:

Magician
Dylan Piknick

Phone #
childrens parties, walk around events, and private parties.

Next to my name is a blood red metallic spade.

That sounds catchy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results