The New Review:// Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey

May 18, 2008
Yes, I got this at his lecture. Yes, it is autographed. AND YES, THIS IS THE REVIVAL OF THE NEW REVIEW! Every week from now on, you will see another review by myself! Hope you enjoy it!

Oh, and the PopChris Project should be back soon... Just wait two more weeks! :lol: Thoughts outloud will resume tommorow as well! Ah, productivity!

Alright, on with dat funky review!

Link To BEYOND SECRETS

WHAT DA' PEEPAROOOOOONS SAY:

The Effect
Beyond the moves, beyond the gimmicks, beyond the patter, there exists a handful of fundamental truths about the performance and creation of magic. After performing for more than a quarter of a century and creating hundreds of innovative magic routines, Jay Sankey has written a book exploring these same truths.

This thought-provoking collection of short pieces ranges from the technical and psychological to the philosophical and sociological, while also staying rooted in the heartfelt and practical. After reading just a handful of the passages, you will see the craft of magic in a whole new light.

Learn from one of the most creative magicians on the planet and BECOME A BETTER MAGICIAN TODAY!

What You Get
Learn how to...
Practice more effectively
Connect with your audience
Invite wonder
Nurture your creativity
Add humor to your magic
Create "Key Images"
Market your unique talents
Write powerful scripts
Transition between effects
Perform new material
Choose spectators
Avoid "Over Proving"
Manage multiple climaxes
Orchestrate your magic
Simplify your magic
Inspire belief
And much, much more!

Foreword by Jon Racherbaumer. 182 pages.

And, for the 999034th time, they aren't lying!

FIRST THOUGHTS:

When I first got this book, I found it to be MUCH smaller than it looks on the computer. It is pretty small, about the size of a normal paperback novel. It, like it says above, has 182 pages. Small book.

But man, does this book contain THOUSANDS of pages worth of information.

THE ASTHETIC:

This book is designed by NEUEVISION, the same company that designed the packaging to Twenty-Two Blows to the Head. Needless to say (for those of you who own 22 of course) this book looks BEAUTIFUL, and is definitly high budget.

The dust jacket is full color, depicting a picture of Jay on the front and describing the book on the back (like you wouldn't have guessed THAT!). But the flaps are what really get me; even though they only have advertisments for other Sankey products (4 of which aren't sold anymore) they look REALLY nice.

The pages are just normal paper, printed on in fairly small ink.

THE LAYOUT:

This book is laid out into a bunch of different chapters, or sections. Each one is anywhere from a paragraph to 4 pages long, and all contain useful information from the thoughts of Jay.

MATERIAL:

This is NOT a book of tricks. In fact, there are no tricks or techniques in this book, only theory. This is a fantastic read if you want to learn more about the art of magic. Jay has essays on ANY topic a performer could think of or ever have to face.

I can't give descriptions of the topics here, because a lot of them are very short and it is really better if you just read it without knowing what to expect (except what is in the description).

HUMOUR:

It is Jay Sankey people. Of course there is humour. Behind all the madness (and my madness I mean in depth psychological and sociological theories and essays) there are jokes that make the reading entertaining. This book is not only insightful, entertaining, and powerful, but also hillarious.

PRICE:

Well, at the lecture, I got it for 15 bucks. But on Penguin, it is 30. And on his website, it is 19 dollars.

Frankly, I can't say how much this is worth. It depends on what you are looking for in a magic book. If you are looking for a book of sleights or routines, this isn't worth a cent. If you are looking for a book that will give you insight into Jay's thoughts on magic and probbably redefine yours, this is priceless.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I will be honest with you; I got a LOT out of this book. A lot of my thoughts on magic are similar to Jay's and this book did exactly what it said it was going to do: It has made me see music in a whole new light.

This was DEFINITLY a worth-while purchase, and I can't wait to read it again.

Jun 5, 2008
Oregon
I just got this book in the mail 2 days ago. so far i am really pleased. there is a lot of deep well thought out information in this book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results