Gambling demo-tips

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
I was considering setting up a gambling demonstration, but I'm having a hard time making it entertaining, what sleights to use where and so on and so forth.
Anybody care to help out?
How do you do your routines, what do you talk about, what moves do you do and when do you do them?

appreciate any help:)

Feb 28, 2008
Mine is pretty simple

1) Bottom deal the aces to myself
2) Expose the bottom deal showing tha the aces came from the bottom
3) Bottom deal another four of a kind to another spectator and then the aces to myself

It's really simple and sweet.

May 3, 2008
Mine is pretty simple

1) Bottom deal the aces to myself
2) Expose the bottom deal showing tha the aces came from the bottom
3) Bottom deal another four of a kind to another spectator and then the aces to myself

It's really simple and sweet.

That seems a bit more like a bottom deal demonstration than a gambling demonstration. There are other moves.

May 3, 2008
id recommend pluckley by ben earl. mentalism and 5 card stud rolled into one.

So you're recommending he does mentalism in a gambling demonstration? A gambling demonstration is to demonstrate how you could cheat at cards. A mentalism demonstration is to demonstrate how to read minds. They aren't similar at all to me in my opinion.

May 3, 2008
I'd show off just about anything that has to do with cheating really. Try to demonstrate false cuts, false deals, false shuffles, etc. Basically just show anything that could be used to cheat at cards. Some card switches could be good too.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I would do...

Ace Production (just make it look like all there is shuffling and nothing more)
Second Deal
Bottom Deal
Center Deal (I personally can't do Center Deal, hence I fake it)

Nov 29, 2008
Any Ace cutting sequence can be seen as a gambling demonstration. Another good gambling demonstration is a ten card poker game, where you do some false deals from a small packet. I personally have a demonstration that is a combination of a story, gambling demonstration, and ten card poker effect that hits pretty well. Look up some Darwin Ortiz stuff, he has the best gambling demonstrations. Greek Poker and God of Gamblers are amazing demonstrations.

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
Read and study and put to heart Erdnase's book - it's the heart and soul of every cheater.

Then do a poker demonstration giving yourself the royal flush, again and again; and some cheating stuff like palming and stuff.

I probably do an ace cutting routine. Its really a nice way to show what you are good at and also that they shouldn't mess with you when it comes to cards. Also i would recommend doing some false shuffles and false deals. However, i myslf would not like to show them palming because of the i am into magic and i guess you it understood as to why.
Sal Piacente and Darwin Ortiz have some great poker routines.
I hope that was useful

All the best..

Nov 29, 2008
Yea I don't like to show many palming demonstrations, even the invisible palm sometimes, because i don't want them to be looking for it when I do an actual effect.

May 14, 2009
France
A good cheating routine is: Joshua Jay - Royal assembly.

This trick starts like a classic assembly and ends up with a royal flush instead of the aces. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm wondering how many people who've given advice here have actually professionally performed a gambling demo.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it seems to me that you should take advice here with a discerning eye, and find some experienced magicians.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
No offense, but I would not be considering putting together a poker demo until you get together your techniques.

If you had already started working on:
second deal, (face down or stud, 1 handed deals, normal deals)
bottom deal,
center deal (if needed but not really)
stack shuffling (A MUST)
mucking (if you have 9 years to devote to learning it)
shifts,
on-the-table passes

then, you would already know how to put together a poker demo.

If you want to start off though, begin with a 4 ace production, done in a "cutting of the deck," type of manner, nothing flourishy, because you are mixing genres in a negative way. Proceed to show them how to do a false shuffling routine with the aces remaining on top. Tell them that this wont help though, because if you keep the 4 aces on top, they will be dealt out. So you do another round of false shuffling but this time keeping them on the bottom, and you bottom deal. You can divulge this information later in many ways, but you should work that out yourself.

You can claim that sometimes you only need to control one card, so you can do a second deal routine, and show off by doing it with one hand while drinking a coke/beer, etc...

Finally, you can do a stack shuffling routine, but again, work the presenation out yourself. Gotta make it original somehow right?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results