Don't Waste My Time

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Very irrelvent, the guy if performing for fun, if he wasnt, he would not be walking into 7-11.

Yup I was performing for fun. I think the idea of doing a bill change while shopping is rather cool. However, I have not bought any bill change effects because my country's bill are made of some kind of plastic and my cousin told me that some bill change effects can only be done with paper bills. Any recommendations?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I do agree that it does come off looking silly when you walk around with a deck of cards on you all the time. But if Jeff McBride can get away with walking around with a belt that is loaded with 6 pouches and a mullet. Then most of the people here can get away with carrying a deck in their pocket.

The point is that most people don't think "Hey, That guy has a deck of cards. He's a magician!" They think you look like a dork.

Also like I said before, going up to a person and asking if they want to see some magic. Just makes people want to spray you in the face with mace or run away and call the cops.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I am very interested how you can approach a total stranger walking around and talk to him/her and make it relevant to cards, im not saying its impossible, I personally think theres no good way, if you or anyone reading this has a line or anything, I really want to hear it.(PM it)

No reason to PM anything. With ME, I can make a conversation with almost anyone about anything at any time. But that I guess, comes from my background in comedy and improv. But again that is with me. But in a situation where I strike up a convo with a complete stranger and then segway into I am a magician? Well, I will be talking about whatever with them...maybe about how nice their car is. I will then tap my stomach a couple of times. This usually gets them to be like, "Dude/sir/Mr. T impersonator, you ok?" I then usually say something like, "Ya...a TON of taco bell..." I will wait a beat...maybe the convo starts back up and then I do cards from the mouth. Mission accomplished.

I wish the fourms where.

ok, but how many people acually carry cards with them? He is not performing at bars with poker night, he was walking past a 7-11

How many people can switch a $1 into a $20? How many people can make something float? That is irrelavant. MAGICIANS carry cards with them. MAGICIANS do bill switches. It would be MORE unlikely for your avg Joe to have a deck of cards on him, but it's ok bro...you are a magician. :) You said that cards are not common, I was simply backing up a reason as to why that statement isn't as accurate as you think.

Very irrelevant, the guy if performing for fun, if he wasnt, he would not be walking into 7-11.

I have a good friend who just walked up to a random person and asked to show him some magic. And guess what, he ended up booking a HUGE paying gig that next month. I have booked some decent paying gigs just showing "a few cards tricks"...I suggest you read Jeff McBride's Magician 24/7...

Mar 2, 2008

I have a good friend who just walked up to a random person and asked to show him some magic. And guess what, he ended up booking a HUGE paying gig that next month. I have booked some decent paying gigs just showing "a few cards tricks"...I suggest you read Jeff McBride's Magician 24/7...

What was his age? Remember, this guy is.....14? (you posted it on that introduce yourself thread) and walking around with a deck, still young in the eyes of many. So may of worked for your friend, but I think our friend here can have a much better opener without cards.

Mar 29, 2008
I am very interested how you can approach a total stranger walking around and talk to him/her and make it relevant to cards, im not saying its impossible, I personally think theres no good way, if you or anyone reading this has a line or anything, I really want to hear it.(PM it)

This is exactly the issue - you are asking for "a line" - you aren't approaching someone to say something relevant to cards...you are saying something relevant to life. It is not a line, or a script to get you there...it is being a real person. Life first, magic second. If you were to chat up that person like you would if you didn't have cards, then magic could easily become a topic and any prop would be fine.

I saw a guy do linking Hula-hoops (rings) at a video store and get a free movie...PINK HULA HOOPS! He killed. However, he just talked to them like he wasn't wearing 4 pink hula hoops around his neck, until they asked. By the time he told them why they were there, they already liked him.

I think the issue with most of you, is that you have little practice in social skills are talking to people without the safety net of magic. The solution to the issue has been given, I am not sure why this continues to be a topic that seems lost.

I LOVE that you think that doing something more "organic" like bill magic, would make a difference...umm, NO, it would just allow you to do some magic without asking permission. So, force it on them - but at least it makes sense. This issue isn't cards, the issue is that a young kid walked into by a store, where someone on their break (where they are to relax) was asked if they could be bothered.

Sure, doing something that surprises them is a great way to see if they like magic...but you will get rejected as many times by just DROPPING magic on people...and then where will you go?

Mike has stated the ideal, just as I have - let me spell it out for the stupids:

Think of it as sales - Connect as a human being...not as someone trying to push something on someone.

Trust me - the time will come where there is an opportunity for magic...this can be playing with your cards while you talk with someone about real world stuff...their job, how busy it is, what they are reading, plans for holidays...whatever...if they see the cards and ask - go ahead - if you can work hobbies into the conversation...go ahead. COMMON SENSE!

Don't treat people like "targets" - and realize people 99% of the time, will have negative perceptions of magic - so you are fighting an uphill battle. However, if you make them like you before magic is mentioned, now it isn't about the magic, but a relationship that supports your act.

This is performance 101 really...and the fact that this thread is alive shows how very little is known about this, and how ignorant you are for passing over this information the first time around.

READ! How about - DON'T WASTE MY TIME

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
This is a sign of the times...so many people doing bad magic that you aren't even getting a chance to show anything at all. Thank you Angel, such a great PR guy that people hate magic more than ever. How few a times have you said, "I am a Magician" and someone thinks that is prestigious? I have had people apolagize to me, as they assumed I would suck, and even after telling them that I have done it over a decade and am good at it...are SHOCKED to see that my magic is actually entertaining.

This is what magic has become - doing magic on the street for a random is about as prestigious as your uncle dealing the deck out 3 times and finding the wrong card. Honestly, unless you have a stage show - don't expect people to eagerly want to see magic. AGAIN, blame Angel, the Masked Magician, Angel again, and maybe even Youtube for making magic suck in the eyes of the general public...oh wait, let's not forget to thank all the kids trying to do magic for the people at a corner store?

I know you think this is the right path - but it isn't. Realize this - Doing less is doing more. Bannon talks about making people ask 2-3 times before he actually shows them. He feels the first time they ask, it is almost an obligation, if they ask again they have a sincere interest. However, young magicians are so eager to show magic for their own selfish reasons, that they don't concern themselves witht the impact it will have on audiences...BAD MAGIC LEADS TO BAD AUDIENCES - the preconceived notion of what magic is becomes a negative concept you are constantly trying to disprove. Enjoy you uphill battle...but you may deserve it (not you as in the poster, but the reader) as you may have helped cause it.

I wonder how you approached this person - did you talk up the Cashier, sincerely, an work magic into the conversation. How did you MAKE them want to see you? Just saying - I DO CARD TRICKS, is like saying - I ROCK AT MATH - nobody cares how accounts do what they do...even though they love a good tax return. Same with magic - most people will not want to give it a chance, unless they like you.

I just used this quote in a PM - but it was, "nobody cares what you know (do), until they know that you care".

I was just at the Science Centre in Toronto - I saw a kid standing with deck in hand, I went up to him, nice guy, and asked to see something. He then showed me some really basic effects, he talked to me like I was retarded (asking, can I count to 3) and when the "effect" happened...looked at me like...WELL, FREAK OUT. I took the deck from him, and proceeded to rock an entire crowd. This young guy loved it - I said, "Remember, magic is about making an experience happen, not JUST fooling people"....make magic fun before it happens, and it will be MORE fun when it does.

Too many of you are walking the streets to try and freak people out - why would you be surprised people don't want to see your stuff...in appearance, you look one step about a kid that stands on the corner washing your car windows...and two steps above a pan-handler. Seriously, magic is a way to take relationships to the next level, NOT replace relationships.

I KNEW I hated "street magic" when Garcia coined the term - TARGET - WTF! Target, I shop at Target, I don't want people I meet to be a target for anything...this is what is wrong with magic done to "random encounters".

Let magic be your secret weapon, not a replacement for a personality!

I don't like Criss Angel, but please don't bash him for that reason. If anything, people are more open to magic because of him. When I get into a chat about magic with a random, they usually start talking about Criss Angel and how great he is.

I completely agree with you about everything else though.

Mar 29, 2008
I guess we have had different experiences with audiences in how they see Angel. I have had people show interest in him too...but not as many that don't.

I am not sure this is the thread to discuss this - BUT - I think one of the main things that the audiences has to believe when watching TV magic, is that the magician is telling them the truth about stooges, edits, whatever...I think many of the effects Angel decided to do violate this, and the audience (at least mine) are not that stupid. It is not trashing Angel, as I am sure it was difficult to come up with that many shows for TV magic...but I think the forest got lost amongst the trees and the "too perfect theory" was violated with blatant disregard. This has lead to a hatred of what magic was, to what it has become.

SO - some don't like him because of his image, his swearing and lack luster presentations, the hype followed by an average effect, but my audiences, and myself, just don't find that he elevated magic in the sense that people love magic more, as he violates many magic rules in hopes to fill the hour

Sure, some people will love him, and believe in anything, but again - my idea of magic is too fool the hardest, not the ones that will believe in being fooled by SARS, Killer Bees, Y2K...and anything Angel does.

I digress, this isn't a "i hate Angel" rant, because I don't - but I deal with the impact he creates as our magic PR - being the main man in magic media - wow...too many "m" words.

Thanks for reading, hope you understand why I brought him up.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I guess we have had different experiences with audiences in how they see Angel. I have had people show interest in him too...but not as many that don't.

I am not sure this is the thread to discuss this - BUT - I think one of the main things that the audiences has to believe when watching TV magic, is that the magician is telling them the truth about stooges, edits, whatever...I think many of the effects Angel decided to do violate this, and the audience (at least mine) are not that stupid. It is not trashing Angel, as I am sure it was difficult to come up with that many shows for TV magic...but I think the forest got lost amongst the trees and the "too perfect theory" was violated with blatant disregard. This has lead to a hatred of what magic was, to what it has become.

SO - some don't like him because of his image, his swearing and lack luster presentations, the hype followed by an average effect, but my audiences, and myself, just don't find that he elevated magic in the sense that people love magic more, as he violates many magic rules in hopes to fill the hour

Sure, some people will love him, and believe in anything, but again - my idea of magic is too fool the hardest, not the ones that will believe in being fooled by SARS, Killer Bees, Y2K...and anything Angel does.

I digress, this isn't a "i hate Angel" rant, because I don't - but I deal with the impact he creates as our magic PR - being the main man in magic media - wow...too many "m" words.

Thanks for reading, hope you understand why I brought him up.

I understand completely. I'm in Australia, and the media doesn't really present him. We only really got his first season, so I guess they respond differently to him.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Criss Angel also suffers from a case of Peter Pan Syndrome. He's a 40 year old man who dresses like he's still 14 and acts like it to.

Mar 29, 2008
Let's not turn this into an Angel bashing thing - honestly, pop culture magic has never done wonders for the image of magic and how it is seen. I miss the days of "World's Greatest Magicians" - at least it really was our greatest.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
However, young magicians are so eager to show magic for their own selfish reasons, that they don't concern themselves witht the impact it will have on audiences...BAD MAGIC LEADS TO BAD AUDIENCES - the preconceived notion of what magic is becomes a negative concept you are constantly trying to disprove.

i agree with you but i couldnt of gotten better practicing in my room. i had to see what worked and didn't when i 1st started out and yeah i ruined it for my self (people who where in my class at skool hate magic or as least dont like it). now im going out to right my wrongs.

Mar 29, 2008
Practice to learn - practice in front of a mirror or on camera - show other magicians and/or a close friend (I always showed my girlfriend) - then show small groups that ask to see your magic - then take it to the public...notice I didn't say, "take it to the streets" - take it to a place where people can enjoy you and the magic.

So, you can get better practicing in your room - actually, once an effect sees light, it should be about tweaking presentation and gaining confidence...not practicing in front of people?!

Sep 6, 2009
Yup I was performing for fun. I think the idea of doing a bill change while shopping is rather cool. However, I have not bought any bill change effects because my country's bill are made of some kind of plastic and my cousin told me that some bill change effects can only be done with paper bills. Any recommendations?

If your lucky you still can find 1 dollar notes =P

Paper notes still exist, and it's not that hard to find.

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
If your lucky you still can find 1 dollar notes =P

Paper notes still exist, and it's not that hard to find.

Yeah I agree. I'm trying to gather as much paper notes as I can now :) But Singapore's bills are not of the same size, some bill gimmicks require the notes to be the same size.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results