Dribbling cards while performing...

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I have notice that I tend to dribble the cards without even thinking about it. Whether its while watching TV or performing, it tends to happen. While practicing a dribble pass, it got me thinking of this question: does dribbling the cards during a performance distract the audience? Do they think something funny is going on? Do they think its annoying?

I have personally never asked a spectator any of these questions, but I'm interested in the answers. I would say that an excess of dribbling of the can be distracting if you aren't saying much while performing. However, if you are going on with an entertaining patter, the specs won't notice to much.

What are your thoughts?

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I don't think people relly question it. Most of the time when people say anything about me dribbling cards, they just say, "whoa, do that again, that's so cool!"

The only time I could really think anyone questioning it if you have the king of hecklers. The kind that ask the weirdest questions, even for hecklers.

I had this one heckler that just made me laugh once, this has only happend once. I was doing a sandwich effect, she picked a card, put it back in the deck an the deck was sufflled. I then took the 2 jokers and told her that I was going to find her cards. She looked at me, took the jokers from me and she said, "I don't want you to use the jokers or any other cards".......
I was just like, "..............it's part of the trick, why did you ask me to do the trick if you won't allow me to do the trick with the nessisary things." Sometimes I just don't understand people.

But anyways, dribbling cards shouldn't be a problem. I've never ran into a problem with it before.

Sep 3, 2007
I have notice that I tend to dribble the cards without even thinking about it. Whether its while watching TV or performing, it tends to happen. While practicing a dribble pass, it got me thinking of this question: does dribbling the cards during a performance distract the audience? Do they think something funny is going on? Do they think its annoying?

I have personally never asked a spectator any of these questions, but I'm interested in the answers. I would say that an excess of dribbling of the can be distracting if you aren't saying much while performing. However, if you are going on with an entertaining patter, the specs won't notice to much.

What are your thoughts?

I'd think just know your limits. If you are constantly dribbling it could become distracting. If you are dribbling when you need to no one should notice. You would need to make a conscious effort though. It could be difficult but I'm sure you can cut down on the dribbles.

I actually went out of my way to show you some dribble action:

http://www.mentalarmory.com/dribble.avi

If you get the point let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2009
I tend to dribble while I'm flourishing or not performing. So if a spectator sees that they are more convinced that nothing is happening.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
as Dai Vernon (in Revelations) says, when the hands come together, the move should already be over.

This is because when your two hands come together, audiences can get suspicious. I never play with the cards while performing. I think it is unprofessional, and like Vernon and Erdnase say, playing with the cards can generate suspicion. Every movement needs to be motivated.

When I learn a new routine, I cut out a lot of things the book says you should do. (uneeded convincers, ect) Heavy card guys tend to perform too many sleights, because it boosts their ego that they can do them. They however become narcissistic of their hand and sleights, and never really get to entertaining. I guarantee you that if you're an entertaining person who performs basic effects, audiences will like you a lot more than the boring monotone guy who performs advanced sleights and effects. Seriously, if you don't enjoy yourself, no one will.

Peace

Feb 28, 2008
I do that too and I find people are more interested in a dribble than what I have to say (it's like talking to a girl with big boobs)...

I'm trying not to do it as much... However, I think when people see a dribble, they don't think anything funny is going on and maybe even think the cards are being shuffled. In the past, I've done springs and people thought I was shuffling.

May 3, 2008
I don't think that you should fiddle with the cards while performing. When your hands come together, they're going to think you're doing a move. When you're dribbling and fiddling with them constantly, they would burn your hands wayyy more and no one wants that. I admit that I do it all the time, but I'm trying hard not to. I also try hard not to flourish either.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I'm not a huge flourisher myself, but I don't mind every now and then doing a dribble. But I will agree with you, that sometimes bringing the hands together will cause some suspicion. But I go to my previous statement where if you have a good, entertaining patter, they will be so engaged, that they will barely recognize the fact that you even messed with the cards at all.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
as Dai Vernon (in Revelations) says, when the hands come together, the move should already be over.

This is because when your two hands come together, audiences can get suspicious. I never play with the cards while performing. I think it is unprofessional, and like Vernon and Erdnase say, playing with the cards can generate suspicion. Every movement needs to be motivated.

When I learn a new routine, I cut out a lot of things the book says you should do. (uneeded convincers, ect) Heavy card guys tend to perform too many sleights, because it boosts their ego that they can do them. They however become narcissistic of their hand and sleights, and never really get to entertaining. I guarantee you that if you're an entertaining person who performs basic effects, audiences will like you a lot more than the boring monotone guy who performs advanced sleights and effects. Seriously, if you don't enjoy yourself, no one will.

Peace

In my opinion, If you are actually enterteining them , suspicion or anything alike will not cross their mind even if you are perfoming the worst pass ever.

People can't think two thoughts at once, if you are enterteining them as I said, there isn't room in their mind for the obvious " I should look at his hands and try to see what it's happening".

We need to learn to adjust and control our audiences :p.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Why are more people not reading Tony's blog! ARGH!

http://www.doublefacers.com/2008/11/lesson-1-visual-noise/

Go look at that, its similar to what youre talking about. Then come back. Read the rest of his blog while you're at it.

Cheers,
Lucas

I would agree that the noise he was making was very distracting. I personally know that I don't fiddle as much as he was in the video. It would be good to make my own video and then watch to see how much fiddling I do and if there's a distraction.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
In my opinion, If you are actually enterteining them , suspicion or anything alike will not cross their mind even if you are perfoming the worst pass ever.

People can't think two thoughts at once, if you are enterteining them as I said, there isn't room in their mind for the obvious " I should look at his hands and try to see what it's happening".

We need to learn to adjust and control our audiences :p.

My thoughts exactly.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I would say it's like anything. You can't over do it. Personally, I dribble the cards every once and a while because I need to air out the cards. My hands naturally sweat when they're doing anything (typing, writing, playing piano, ect.), which makes the cards get kinda sticky. Airing them out helps that.

It's like flourishing during performance, there is nothing wrong with it, unless you over do it.

Cheers

Mar 29, 2008
Don't post until you watch this video:

http://www.doublefacers.com/2008/11/lesson-1-visual-noise/

It saved me a rant - in short - try not to dribble cards. I will word it to you in a way that relates:

Dribbling and "fiddling" with cards is equal to when someone is giving a speech, and says "Umm" "But ummm" "alright" "okay" "like" - those filler words. The difference, you have replaced filler words with a filler action.

Get rid of it. Bad habit.

Also - people notice...hell, it is YOUR bad habit that you should be habituated to...and YOU noticed!

I think that excessive movements shouldn't be in an effect. Dribbling maybe not so much becaue it isn't such a big deal, but when performing I have done a simple move that accomplishes nothing and people have questioned it. I remember last week I was performing and I wipped a smug off my cards and 2-3 people commented on this wondering what I was doing. I don't think dribbling is such a big deal but excessive movents are distracting and can ruin an effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results