What is?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree with Jamy Ian Swiss on this subject. 'Street Magic' is a marketing term that has replaced 'Be the Life of the Party', and has taken it out into public where it can be sprung upon unsuspecting people who may or may not actually want to see it.

Well that's a very vague question, and therefore difficult.
Street magic is simply a magician performing magic on the street to strangers without expecting profit.

Of course, the positives and negatives are a completely different story :)

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
The contemporary form is simply "Close up magic done to audiences on the street".

Though the classic form is something much different:

Jeff Sheridan was one of the US' most influential street magicians back in the 1970s. He was a busker who often used card manipulation and similar parlor-style effects to attract major crowds in New York City. He performed magic on the streets this way to actually earn a living. Traditional parlor effects such as this kind of card manipulation, Cups and Balls, Professor's Nightmare, 20th Century Silks were considered street magic long before Blaine's time, because the visuals of such material gathered larger crowds, which in turn, produced a better income. What Blaine made popular in recent years is a misnomer, and isn't really considered street magic by a lot of traditionalist buskers. It's amusing, because if you present effects like the Ambitious Card and Cigarette Through Quarter as street magic to the likes of Jim Cellini, Gazzo, or Jeff Sheridan, these legitimate street performers would ask the same question you did, "What the hell? Since when is that street magic?" Jeff Sheridan also wrote a book on the history and culture of street magic in 1977, which has become a much respected read throughout the magic community and remains a definitive source of street magic history today.

RS.

and

Blaine performs close-up magic on the streets. While it may just be a conflict of semantics, many would argue it's not street magic. Street magic, in the traditional sense, is a whole different sub-culture where if you aren't loud, flamboyant, big and bold, you typically won't eat at night. It's a living. The aim of street magic in this regard is to attract a crowd and ultimately get paid for your entertainment through spontaneous tips. The style of magic used to do so drastically differs from the intimacy of close-up magic which David Blaine made popular. You typically cannot attract a large enough crowd who'll want to pay you by quietly presenting Coin Bite the way Blaine did on television.

Blaine's success wasn't due to street magic. His success was ultimately due to television. His approach to magic was refreshingly different for television audiences, because people never really saw how much magic can affect a spectator before. Before his time, magic was always a steady series of shots of illusionists onstage. Blaine made the intimacy of close-up magic popular by putting more emphasis on animated spectator reactions. Getting reactions on the street is one thing. Getting paid on the street is another. That, I believe, is the quintessential difference between a busking street magician and someone who performs magic in a similar fashion Blaine does.

This, of course, doesn't take anything away from Blaine. He single-handedly reinvented the way magic was perceived in the modern era. I prefer the intimacy and directness of close-up magic, and I enjoy surprising people in spontaneous settings with it. I care more the personal relationship I build with an audience through magic. This, however, really isn't a new idea or philosophy. It's just close-up magic. Professional close-up magicians were doing the same material Blaine was for decades prior to his first television special. Blaine's success wasn't a new form of magic-- it was simply a new idea of bringing the craft to an MTV-era audience. And daaaamn, it worked. It made magic cool again.

It's important to recognize though, that it isn't really street magic, where a magician's success is ultimately determined by his bankroll at the end of the day. Regardless, as SlightedMind pointed out, it's likely that sites like Penguin, Ellusionist, and arguably even T-11 will continue to bastardize the term because of marketing...

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Doing research. I wanna get some information right from the mouth of those close to the source.

What is street magic?

Go!

When I was young the basic essence is that Busking is what one did between gigs in order to cover the rent, it wasn't exactly the kind of performance arena everyone was running towards.

Saying that, I believe that Busking is an aspect of the craft that needs an infusion. It has a very long history filled with some rather awesome legend and lore as well as facts that should not be lost but rather, preserved and supported by way of our actions in the here & now; this new breed of young performer that is out to deliver a very unique form of sidewalk experience to the public. While I am quite opposed to some of the more invasive tactics certain groups encourage, I am more than impressed by the advancements this arena has allowed our craft to know... even when some of it a bit impractical when it comes to regular application, but dynamite as a special PR demonstration.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
a "Fad/Trend" name for close up magic that has been widely popularized by the younger masses thanks to individuals such as Criss Angel and David Blaine. In effect a mere change in scenery for tv specials has taken Close-up out of the parlor and into the streets, but it is still the same monster. Close-up magic is synonymous with Street Magic,

I disagree with the cynical idea that its all marketing and tv or that its simply close-up magic under a different name, or even that Criss Angel contributed to it forming. He just picked it up as many others did after Blaine defined it.

Street Magic as it is today shares a name with busking, but it is a WAY of performing (generally and almost always) close-up magic. It is an aesthetic. Like Bizzare Magick, it is conjuring done with a certain "flavor" and generally has specific qualities and guidelines which lead to the aesthetic goal.
-Done with ordinary seeming objects i.e. nothing created solely for magic or uncommon (chinese sticks, chinese rings, painted boxes, hot rods, silks, out-dated coins.)
-Emphasis on interpersonal interactions and strong audience participation
-Effects are usually very simple in plot.
-Effects are usually very organic
-Emphasis on being extremely high impact towards the audience, and promoting extroverted reactions.
-Performances tend to have a very casual vibe. For example, polite clapping is not often expected or a measure of an audience's enjoyment.
-Effects are often ones that simulate realistic supernatural ability. Actual power is never seriously claimed. You aren't a magician at that point.
-Will often conform to Derren Brown's "Real Magic" model, expanded upon in Absolute Magic.
-Effects are often ultra visual.
-While there is often comedic elements depending of the performer and the act, elements of "Comedy Magic" (you know, the terrible kind) are extraordinarily rare.
-Black or trendy casual clothes are the most common wardrobe.
-Performer's tend to take themselves seriously, to a fault (just look at this post).

Alright, those are most of the qualities that make of the aesthetic of Street Magic that i can think of. I don't think that street magic can only be done outside for random crowds (obviously pretending you have a film crew). I think it can be done in a paid strolling environment, if the occasion allows.

I think its definitely an aesthetic difference. Its the kinds of differences that make the band My Chemical Romance emo, and not just punk. That makes Will Smith's music rap, but Fifty cent gangster rap. Kind of. I actually don't like any of this music.

But I hope I've made coherent points and that it helps you, Bizzaro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
That depends on what time frame your looking at. The definition now is much different that it was 5, 10, 20, or more years ago. Also it's a subjective term.

In my opinion, "street magic" is going out in a public place like a city sidewalk, a mall, etc. and asking people if they'd like to see magic. It's performing for people who weren't expecting it; the reactions and responses you get seem, to me, much more organic. People are necessarily ready to be entertained. Street Magic shows how your performance can hold up to the normal mindset of your spectator. Also, it's much more about the performance than the money. You may make a few bucks from putting a hat on the ground, but the real value is in the experience you gain.

Aug 4, 2010
wow..I am impressed!!

I would be impressed if you weren't...I am the epitome of excellence...every one of my posts is worthy of praise....And I never point out that I am an Elite...Only those who have nothing feel the need to rub what they got on peoples faces....

To contribute more to the Thread...All truth aside...“Street Magic” is essentially the visual, impromptu, in-your-face, hit-and-run, guerrilla style magic...essentially a cooler way to say “strolling magic”

Jun 10, 2010
I would be impressed if you weren't...I am the epitome of excellence...every one of my posts is worthy of praise....And I never point out that I am an Elite...Only those who have nothing feel the need to rub what they got on peoples faces....

To contribute more to the Thread...All truth aside...“Street Magic” is essentially the visual, impromptu, in-your-face, hit-and-run, guerrilla style magic...essentially a cooler way to say “strolling magic”

Congratulations. Your 1st post that had meaningful conversation towards the thread. Good job, I'm proud of you bro.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Guys, I think the joke should be over right now with Elite. It's useless to keep on blabbering about this. Let's just keep the discussion on track and about magic, not about him. Capiche?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Gazzo is street magic!

No, he's not. Not any more, at least. The term 'street magic' used to mean what Gazzo does, but it doesn't any more. Now that's 'busking'. The term 'street magic' has been co-opted and is no longer applicable to busking.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I recently did some busking at the fringe festival where I live. There are 2 types of places to busk there are big circle shows (out by the venders) and smaller pitches ( usually in an alley or corner) this year I took a small pitch and decided to do David Blaine style street magic not cups and balls or anything big like the other magicians(who were also excellant) just cards and small stuff stuff. Cool thing was although I probably never attracted a crowd of more then 5 people I made just as much as some of the bigger circle shows and I think it was because of how personal it was and people felt like I was doing it just for them. People didn't feel obligated to tip, the wanted to. I never had a tip of less then $5. Anybody looking to improve their magic I deffinately reccomend busking at some festivals.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results