Need Help for Stage Magic

Hi all,
I am a close up magician and to be more specific, a cardician.
But my friend wants me to perform some stage magic which I don't have any effect or props for it.
So if anyone could help me by giving me some simple or no props needed (at least I can make the props myself), please give me some ideas.
I was thinking to perform Dresscode by Calen -T11 (I think it will look good on stage too)
And by the way, I have 3 weeks to practice and to prepare the props.
Thanks,

Alex

Jul 17, 2010
Depends how you present yourself on stage... I, myself consider myself a Comedy/Comic Magician and use a lot of Gags and jokes to fill dead time...
One effect that has gotten me a lot of mileage is "paper balls over head", Youtube that and you'll find Slydini and Rich ferguson performing as well as other performers doing this effect/gag. It's hilarious for the audience!!

I would look into some rope routines, "three ropes and a baby", "Fiber Optics", or "cut and restored rope", or some tabary material. rope doesn't cost much and there you have a routine for life.

Also Gene Andersons "torn and restored" newspaper is a killer effect for stage!

Hope that helps.

Depends how you present yourself on stage... I, myself consider myself a Comedy/Comic Magician and use a lot of Gags and jokes to fill dead time...
One effect that has gotten me a lot of mileage is "paper balls over head", Youtube that and you'll find Slydini and Rich ferguson performing as well as other performers doing this effect/gag. It's hilarious for the audience!!

I would look into some rope routines, "three ropes and a baby", "Fiber Optics", or "cut and restored rope", or some tabary material. rope doesn't cost much and there you have a routine for life.

Also Gene Andersons "torn and restored" newspaper is a killer effect for stage!

Hope that helps.

I agreed with all the tricks you suggested, except for the paper ball over the head. In my opinion, he can't learn the routine in three weeks because the routine is heavily rely on slydini's psychology;the only book that explain the effect clearly is "The Magic of Slydini.....And More" which sold out in most magic stores. He can learn it from other sources but it will take longer than 3 weeks.

I would like to add another book that you can buy to build cheap illusion is Mark Willson's Complete Course in Magic In the book, he has some cheap illusion that you can make at home.

Last, I would suggest that you visit Andrew Mayne's website and check out his collection; it's mostly home make illusions so it's cheap and amazing. http://www.andrewmayne.com/shop/category/illusion

Magically Yours
Tricky Devil

Jul 17, 2010
I agreed with all the tricks you suggested, except for the paper ball over the head. In my opinion, he can't learn the routine in three weeks because the routine is heavily rely on slydini's psychology;the only book that explain the effect clearly is "The Magic of Slydini.....And More" which sold out in most magic stores. He can learn it from other sources but it will take longer than 3 weeks.

True, wasn't thinking about that as I quickly responded to his post before heading out. I been doing that effect for ages and forgotten about mentioning that.

Josh Jay has a book called "complete course in magic" I believe. It's on my self and too lazy to get up and check lol.. but it has a couple things that are good for stage...

Also, I try to incorporate a sucker routine into every show I do. for example, "silk to egg" or "the vanishing Banana", these will get a laugh and fry your audience at the end.

Nov 27, 2009
Since you're a card guy, why not try a cards across? I've also seen an invisible deck done on stage with giant cards. Tricks with selected cards don't usually work well with standard decks because very few people can see the cards, unless you've got a camera, and cameras are unreliable.

Cut and restored rope is good. I've also seen the classic silk vanish done on stage, if you have the necessary stuff for that. Sponge balls work well too, especially if you use 2 inch sponges or bigger. I'll second the recommendation for Mark Wilson's book as well. I've got it, and it's great.

Thanks for the ideas mates.
I'll definitely check them out and decide 2 or 3 effects.
but of course I'm still open for some other ideas.
@3ryk: I think I'll go with comedy because I like to put some jokes in my close up routines.
-I also forget to mention that I still have no idea how big the stage is, but I'm sure there isn't any camera for me to use.

Thanks a lot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results