Halloween Show...Suggestions...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Everyone!!

So..I was thinking on doing a Halloween Themed Magic Show for October 29...and I was already writing some ideas...but I would love to hear suggestions...regarding

+tricks
+mentalism
+appeal
+presentational ideas
+ production of the show..

The show will be a little bit stand up since there is no stage...but there is a aisle in the place..and I was thinking into doing the stage tricks while walking in the aisle...and everybody is around..

anyway...I would like to focus on geek magic, but I would like to hear all kind of ideas regarding this...

And...GO!!!

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
Presentation

Hey Luis- I think presentation can really set the mood. How about Dry Ice in some bottles kind of spread out around the area? Gives you the foggy, creepy feeling. How about some low lights? Will you have some sound to play some instrumental music in the background?

You are a dynamite magician, so set up your area a little bit to create a more Halloween Atmosphere!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
A massacre always goes down well on Halloween. Lock them in to your show, get a chainsaw out and have some fun. I promise you that you will never be forgotten with the publicity from it.

Dec 5, 2009
I think eerie magic type effects would work great - SAW by Sean Fields, Stigmata by Wayne Houchin, SMOKE by Alan Rorrison, Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry, etc. I love the idea of a Halloween Themed show - people look for fun things to do on Halloween, and this is a great event idea to fill that gap. Depending on your performing persona, this could be quite fun and even a bit scary. Good luck with it, Luis!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Setting wise I'm thinking the dry ice or fog would go over well. Lit candles throughout the area as lighting. Music playing in the background preshow to set the mood. For example "Halloween Theme Music - Michael Myers type" or similar tracks.

You could do some type of signed card to inside a pumpkin or dollar bill inside pumpkin with the spectator hanging on to the corner piece that matches. Not a creepy effect but entertaining.

I like the chainsaw idea. Um...fake rubber brain coated in vaseline and blood on a plate would look nice and gory. I don't know...I'm just brain storming. I think Reality One has done Halloween stuff but not geeky / freak.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think Reality One has done Halloween stuff but not geeky / freak.

Exactly, I don't suspect my sponge ball routine where orange and black sponge balls change places with each other and then transform into a 4 inch sponge Jack-O-Lantern is what Luis had in mind. Even my cups and balls with a final EYEBALL load wouldn't quite fit the bill.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
So I spent about 20 minutes on my post, and I was really getting into what I was writing. I had about 4 examples of tricks you could do with presentation too. . . Until I decided I wanted to keep these for myself.
Sorry man!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@Craig Browning

Thanks man!! I already checked it out...I´ll answer in there..

@Hepdini

I love the dry ice idea...really cool..and I believe it could be done cheap and easily...thanks!!

@Formula

I´ll remember that when I am in jail...jajajaja!! just kidding man!! thanks!!

@Rick

Well...I was thinking that the candles would go well with this show...and I could also use fun effects that are entertaining and not neccesarily creppy...thanks man!!

@Reality One

I certainly think that could be a great effect...in the proper conditions...hehehe..thanks buddy!!

@DannyT

HAHAHAHA!! sometime that happens my friend!!

Jul 13, 2009
Well, one thing I find best when putting together a presentation for a scary or supernatural themed show is look at local legends and created a presentation around it. Like I live in San Antonio and we have the legend of the haunted train tracks. Here is a potential presentation that could be based around the story.

The performer produces a small toy school bus and a picture of a set of train tracks. Black and white, aged, at the bottom of the picture's white frame scribbled in cursive, "In memory of the souls lost during the year..." The picture is set down on the table, as well as the bus. While narrating the story, the performer animates the bus using his fingers.

"Have you heard about the train track massacre? No? Well then you are in for a story..." The performer then proceeds to show the picture around to the audience if he hasn't done so prior, "We're playing guess the picture, can you tell me what is in this picture? Correct! Train tracks, but not only train tracks. Oh ho ho no, these are the train tracks that a most horrible, tragic incident transpired on."

"A few years ago, well possibly more then that excuse me mam what is your age? Fifty two? Hmm that sounds about right. Fifty two years ago, a bus full of eager little kiddies ready for a night of trick or treating, stalled while crossing some train tracks. The bus centered precariously between the two metal tracks." At this point the performer makes the bus stall on the picture, right over the train tracks.

"At first very little panic. The kids remained seated while the bus driver attempted to fix the stalled vehicle. It was the bus's misfortune to have stalled on a blind corner. A whistle sounded in the distance. The thunderous sound of metal wheels that glided and squealed over the metal tracks began to grow louder. Panic swept through the bus. Before anyone had a chance to get out of the school bus...the train barreled through it killing everyone, some instantly while others...well, everyone died use your imagination. This event was so horrific that the spirits still hang around the train tracks, their final resting place. It is said that if you park your car over these very same train tracks in the picture, and then put it in neutral. The souls of the children will begin to push your car off of the train tracks, uphill. Defying gravity! Surely it must be supernatural. I wonder though..."

The performer pauses and looks down at the stopped toy bus on the train tracks. Soon after that the bus slowly begins to creep across the picture seemingly untouched.

"The energy of the lost souls are truly strong."

The picture is handed out to the audience member who gave their age. If they bother to inspect the picture further, they'll find that their birth year is scrawled across the back of the portrait. A strange coincidence indeed.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Using local lore is a biggie. . . I point this out in the Psychic Technologies books dealing with Mystery Entertainment. The more you can personalize your presentation (make it a thing people can identify with) the better your chances are at making the experience "real" as well as surreal, which logically speaking, should be the goal, right? A few tricks offered as a treat?

Maybe use a seance tie to finish with. Get yourself tied up to a chair and have a curtain raised for a few seconds as something flies over it then when it is dropped you are still tied up. Maybe get someone else behind the curtain with you and when the curtain is raised and dropped their jacket is now on you underneath all the ropes. Then get a small child dressed up in Victorian clothing and put some make up on their face to make them look ghostly and when the curtain is raised for the last time have them enter from the back so they are behind the curtain and unseen then shout to drop it when they are in position. Could potentially be lots of fun!

Simon_Magic

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results