Restaurant Magic

Dec 25, 2012
First of, let me say that this is my first thread here.
Anyways, I am 17, just finished school and have been performing magic for about three years.
I've had the experience of working in a pub as a magician.
But now I am planning to move to restaurant magic which I think is totally different from doing magic in a pub.
So, by any chance, for those who are working as a magician in a restaurant, could give me any advice on how to persuade a restaurant to hire a magician?
For example, why should a restaurant hire a magician and stuff like that.

All help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
First of, let me say that this is my first thread here.
Anyways, I am 17, just finished school and have been performing magic for about three years.
I've had the experience of working in a pub as a magician.
But now I am planning to move to restaurant magic which I think is totally different from doing magic in a pub.
So, by any chance, for those who are working as a magician in a restaurant, could give me any advice on how to persuade a restaurant to hire a magician?
For example, why should a restaurant hire a magician and stuff like that.

All help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

You can check out "The Art of Restaurant Gigs by Benji Bruce" book, it will get you started.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
From what I understand, you may want to be cautious about Benji's material as I understand things. . . stick with Michael Ammar, Bill Malone and other more established sources out there rather than those that are legends in their own mind, like Benji and guys like Jonathon Royale tend to be.

Your age is going to be the biggest obstacle you need to overcome unless you naturally look a solid 5+ years older than the chronology states. There are ways around this by way of dress and manner, but it must be natural -- class & decorum aren't easily faked, though you can develop such skill over time.

Your arsenal should be simple and in my experience "Balanced". . . that is to say, you don't want to be 90% card tricks or worse. Have a handful of decent card effects at your disposal but likewise have an array of other set routines using coins, sponge, even borrowed items. Variety will get you further in most instances, but be very cautious when it comes to anything "grotesque" (people are eating after all) & bizarre as well as anything that goes beyond the basics of Mental Magic. . . I'm referring to routines that will look like tricks and yet host a mental or psychic slant to them such as the small Mental Epic and Die-Cipher type bits vs, Billet work. The exception of course, is if you are doing nothing other than Mentalism which, outside of how the pros use it as part of pre-show work or when strolling, really isn't a wise move -- traditional magic is far more commercially effective and too, Mentalism isn't an arena for persons with limited performance experience in that stage & people management are vital; two things you can only learn by time and actually doing performances.

Hope that helps you, some. Others around here will most certainly have more specifics.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Live at the Jailhouse is pretty much said to be the best DVD on restaurant magic. It's got guys like Paul Green, Dan Fleshmen and few of the other top restaurant workers out there. Is as a lot of good advice, but they don't go into a lot detail on a few others things.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going into restaurant magic until you've had a few years of just performing behind your back, and like Craig mentioned. It's going to be hard for a place to take you seriously if you are 17 years old.

Apr 26, 2011
I am 16 and have been doing regular restaurant performances for a year now

Believe it or not you can use your age to your advantage, ie you have the 'cuteness factor'. What I mean by that is that people will recognise a young person taking initiative in a professional environment and are likely to give you a chance to 'wow' them.

If you are a young person, I find, that people will generally give you the benefit of the doubt. If your material is good and worthwhile, they have a further appreciation for you.

of course, in my limited experience, suiting up and looking the part is extremely important as it makes you look more professional.

The most important aspect of performing at a restaurant is confidence. If you approach a table with confidence and enthusiasm it is unlikely people will turn you down. The only way to gain confidence is to perform for as much as possible in front of real people.

sink or swim, there is nothing better than experiance and giving it a go. what is the worst that can happen........

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
you have the 'cuteness factor'.

I love that line and yes, being the "Boy Next Door" and the "All American Lad" works! I used it significantly and well into my latter 20s (I didn't have facial hair until then, so it helps). BUT, youth will limit you when it comes to the kinds of establishments you can work outside the private country club type environment. Of course today's dinning environment involves so much alcohol access even in a family facility that things have changed a bit since my day.

ImSeeYou. . . you ought to pen an eBook or at least an article about being a mid-teen and getting work in this kind of venue. I think it would be greatly appreciated by a wide market out there that has the interest but not an understanding on such things. While this is far from one of my areas of experience (I've done very little work in this arena) I'm certain there are guys here that could help you in creating a solid text. . . then again, I'm always available to help however possible.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Restaurant work is a very rewarding experience because you will become VERY VERY good at your material due to the sheer number of times you are performing the "sets" nightly. You will learn the best lines and patter for each scenario. You will learn how to get out of situations and even see that sometimes there simply isn't an out. You admit your mistake and move on.

You will build a client list of regulars who will then book you for outside gigs and events. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. You will learn how to "read" a table of spectators and just "know" whether it looks like a table that will enjoy magic or if you would be interrupting an important or serious conversation. You will need to become from friends with the staff very quickly and let them know you are part of the "team" and are there to help them out as they too can help you out.

Most restaurant gigs might not pay you much hourly however you can possibly have them throw in a meal at the end of your shift and you can take it off to the side to an empty table towards the back and eat before heading home. You can potentially make anywhere between $50-$100 per hour but more than likely with your age and not having much experience yet, they will maybe even look at you like you are insane for asking for $50.00 an hour. It is okay because the experience you gain and outside clients will make up for it.

Also keep in mind that you are going to be asked to work busy nights, more than likely on the weekends when your friends will be wanting you to go out and party or hang with them.

I wish I had a manual that told you how to basically walk in and get the job but I have not been down that road. Luckily I got referrals from other magicians who worked the restaurants and passed the gig onto me and I already had a website with testimonials and pics up so it made it a pretty easy decision for management.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
One thing I will say is this. BEFORE you even think about approaching a place, check out their reviews on yelp. If the place is getting trashed, then you should avoid it like the plaque. Because unless your name happens to be Gordon Ramsey you will not be able to do much at the place and will be constantly dealing with an empty place or customers constantly complaining.

Also, I would suggest that you check the places website to see if they are corporate owned or not. Usually if the website says they have like 6-20 locations. Then they're most likely going to be a huge hassle to deal with and approach.

Also, I would suggest that you eat at the restaurant like once or twice just to get a general feel of the place and staff. (But don't mention that you do magic. Simply eat there as a regular person and then leave when you are done.)

Dec 25, 2012
Wow. Thanks so much for the advice. I never had a problem with age or repertoire (mainly becuase I hardly perform card magic). I just needed the advice before moving to a new field.
Thanks so much, I will keep all the advice given!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think Benji´s book is a great book on restaurant magic...but to be honest is for more advanced magicians....let me explain...

As I understand you are starting out...I´ve doing restaurant magic for some years now...so I don´t do restaurant magic in order to get tips...or money...I do it because I want to get better gigs and... and I feel you are in the phase where you are still solidifing your reputation and your repertoire... so here is some advice..

+Always carry a lot more of what you are planning to do...but carry light in the tables
+Never ever work for free....and if you are in doubt of how much to charge...look the menu and charge twice the most expensive meal... I guess 75-100 bucks a night of 2 hours could be ok...
+don´t work to late..is really and I mean really hard to work for a long time in the night...eventually it takes a toll on you...so try to be there early and finish early and get always some rest...

I do recomend Benji Bruce book if you are looking to get gigs in the restaurant...but you should look at it once you have everything down like your look, repertoire and have enough experience in treating with people...

most importantly....Have fun!!! and always have a big smile!!!!

The only problem with Benji is he feels like the used car salesman of magic. He's slick,slimy, and came out of no where with his "make money now doing magic" sales pitch. There may be nuggets of wisdom in there sure, he had to have gotten them from somewhere. Honestly I'd just be very careful about giving that kid any of your money or contact information.

Jay Sankey has a great video or two out on restaurant magic, and anything Doc Eason puts out is pure gold. Doc has made a living working a bar/restaurant in the Rockies for years.

Working for something is better than working for nothing so be realistic with your prices. Starting out $25 an hour for minimal 4 hours during a rush one or two days a week aren't bad numbers. You only really need two or three clients that you treat well, and treat you well to be making an easy $500+ a week. You may want to consider giving the venue a "first night free" option to test you out, but be ready to discuss long term contracts afterwords.

All the best to you!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
You may want to consider giving the venue a "first night free" option to test you out, but be ready to discuss long term contracts afterwords.

This is the age old argument, should you offer free nights or not. I've read a lot from both stand points, and my own philosophy is this: The only way I would agree to give a full night for free is if they sign the contract prior to that, aka. hire me for work. Think of it like buy 3 and get the 4th one for free. So you can offer one free night per month (or per week, it's up to you), once they hire you.
One other way I would consider offering a free night is if on that night there are going go be some high end clients. Maybe a corporate dinner or a group of some sort. Then you can work for free, but at least you will have tons of opportunities to make contacts with some very important people, that may possibly hire you privately after that.
However, if a restaurant is trying to get you to work for free, just so they can see what you can do, don't do it. You will waste a lot of time and money, and they will probably not even hire you. This comes down to your "people skills" and how well you can read people. Managers are sneaky people, and if you're not careful they can trick you into a lot of things. So if you feel that he only wants a free night and then never call you again, run.
So this is one of the solutions: offer a discount. Instead of charging $50 an hour, charge $20, but then you have to take something away. Because why would he then pay you $50 an hour, when he just got you for $20. Or ask for $20 and a free meal, on that first night, and then if he likes you, go with the original price but no meal. Always try to even things out. If he brings down the price, you bring down the service. That's the only way people will see you as a professional. Never undersell your self, keep your price high.
One more way is to offer just one hour for $50, and then if they like you, then they can hire you full time for 2-3 hours per night. That way they will still be able to see what you do (if you cannot prove yourself in one hour, you're not ready yet), and it will be cheaper for them since they only pay you for one hour.
Makes sense?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The only problem with Benji is he feels like the used car salesman of magic. He's slick,slimy, and came out of no where with his "make money now doing magic" sales pitch. There may be nuggets of wisdom in there sure, he had to have gotten them from somewhere. Honestly I'd just be very careful about giving that kid any of your money or contact information.

Jay Sankey has a great video or two out on restaurant magic, and anything Doc Eason puts out is pure gold. Doc has made a living working a bar/restaurant in the Rockies for years.

Working for something is better than working for nothing so be realistic with your prices. Starting out $25 an hour for minimal 4 hours during a rush one or two days a week aren't bad numbers. You only really need two or three clients that you treat well, and treat you well to be making an easy $500+ a week. You may want to consider giving the venue a "first night free" option to test you out, but be ready to discuss long term contracts afterwords.

All the best to you!

The other problem with Benji Bruce was that for a guy who supposedly made "big bucks". His tactics were bad (Trespassing on private property to hand out business cards in an event you weren't invited to.), and his video's looked awful (which was a very odd thing for a guy who kept rambling about how he was a marketing genius.)

But anyways, I would also suggest one other thing. work out a deal with the restuarant where they pay half money and half gift cards for the place. Then when you start getting clients, you can send the gift cards to the clients telling them to have their next Christmas/whatever party at the place you perform at.

Also, Michael Eaton suggested that you turn down all the tips that you get offered (unless they give them to you in a discrete manner.), and simply constantly tell people if they REALLY want to tip you, they can go tell the Host/GM how much they liked the magic. This way you're constantly stacking the deck in your favor and also constantly convincing the place that you are of value to them.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
The other problem with Benji Bruce was that for a guy who supposedly made "big bucks". His tactics were bad (Trespassing on private property to hand out business cards in an event you weren't invited to.), and his video's looked awful (which was a very odd thing for a guy who kept rambling about how he was a marketing genius.)

But anyways, I would also suggest one other thing. work out a deal with the restuarant where they pay half money and half gift cards for the place. Then when you start getting clients, you can send the gift cards to the clients telling them to have their next Christmas/whatever party at the place you perform at.

Also, Michael Eaton suggested that you turn down all the tips that you get offered (unless they give them to you in a discrete manner.), and simply constantly tell people if they REALLY want to tip you, they can go tell the Host/GM how much they liked the magic. This way you're constantly stacking the deck in your favor and also constantly convincing the place that you are of value to them.

I agree that his advice is a little bit difficult to understand..but..and he comes the big BUT...bigger than JLO´s...is that from the moment I started following his advice..I started to charge a lot more for my gigs...and I get more high end clients...

The video does look a little bit ugly...IF you look at it as a magician...but for an event planner or someone who is looking to hire you... all the testimonials are way better than showing a magic trick in the video....just saying...

Tresspasing property?...I think the is a misunderstanding...I do that all the time...I perform whenever the opportunity arises and that´s how you make more contacts...obviously you should have a common sens when deciding in which event you can "crash"...but you are not doing anything illegal and the worst that could happen is that they ask you out of the reception...and the times I have do it...I always get more clients!!...

Anyway... let´s see how it goes

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I agree that his advice is a little bit difficult to understand..but..and he comes the big BUT...bigger than JLO´s...is that from the moment I started following his advice..I started to charge a lot more for my gigs...and I get more high end clients...

The video does look a little bit ugly...IF you look at it as a magician...but for an event planner or someone who is looking to hire you... all the testimonials are way better than showing a magic trick in the video....just saying...

Tresspasing property?...I think the is a misunderstanding...I do that all the time...I perform whenever the opportunity arises and that´s how you make more contacts...obviously you should have a common sens when deciding in which event you can "crash"...but you are not doing anything illegal and the worst that could happen is that they ask you out of the reception...and the times I have do it...I always get more clients!!...

Anyway... let´s see how it goes

It may be different in Mexico. But in the states it's illegal and bad business. You can get contacts through other means that don't include you showing up to a hotel conference you were not invited to. That is trespassing and is grounds to get your ass thrown in jail and also black listed from said hotel chain. Which is going to hurt you in the long run, because when somebody decides to book you. They will find out that you are black listed and will just end up going with somebody else. The Hotel doesn't care if you were entertaining people. To them, you trespassed on private property. They will tell your clients this and then you can goodbye to this contacts of yours.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results