Should the pass have the sound?

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
Hey,
I have been into extreme practicing of card mechanics recently. And at one point I noticed what I had never noticed before:
Do your pass motions also produce a sound? I mean, it's not load at all, but would be heard in a quiet room. How do I overcome this? Maybe we could talk through Skype?

P.S. I've been doing pass for 1,5-2 years now. I mean that slight sound - can the pass be absolutely soundless?

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Absolutely! People's passes usually create noise for one of two reasons. Either A, a packet smacking against your hand, or B, the packets sliding along each other. Simply being aware of what it is that you do, that makes noise, can make a world of difference during your practicing. A pretty good general tip is holding the deck in a lighter grip, the less pressure, the less potential for noise. And a lighter grip is generally just better anyway.

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
Fun fact. I tried doing the pass today - and got no sound at all. :D
It was something with my hands yesterday that I created the thread.
Anyway, thank you Tyler.

Oct 5, 2012
Which pass? The classic pass has more noise than the Hermann/Hofzinser pass for me. I agree with Tyler in terms of where those sounds may come from, and the lighter touch will certainly help. That being said, the noise shouldn't be an issue. The classic pass in particular is a move that works best when everyone's attention is relaxed, for example, right after a joke when everyone is laughing. In a scenario like that, noise is not going to be an issue because of all the ambient noise. When we practice, though, we tend to be sitting in an empty room and silent ourselves, which means that the noises all seem very loud. I would suggest following Tyler's advice mechanically, and thinking about your attention direction, cover, and timing of the move to help minimize the scrutiny of the move overall.

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I do the pass all the time and about 20% of the time I do it, it makes a sound. It isn't loud so it doesn't bother me.

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
Thank you for the advice. I know everything you told me. I just wanted to know whether you, guys, do it without or with sound. I simply try to master everything to perfection (which is of course impossible) and that's why I asked this stupid question.

Dec 20, 2012
Seems like I've found someone else who likes to obsessively practice difficult sleight of hand to 'perfection'. I love the pass, and the noise mine makes is the equivalent of lightly running a finger across the side of the deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results