New to Coin Magic

Clay Elleby

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi, I am pretty new to coin magic (I have been into cards for 5 years) and am wondering where the best sources are to learn it. Do you guys also recommend tricks like Digital Dissolve, Exile, Coin Under Watch, ect. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2012
I started with Bobo's coin magic, it sets a foundation for the basic handling of coin magic, as well as teaching some tricks and routines when you finally feel comfortable with the basic sleights. I would not recommend tricks as you mentioned because you just started working with coins and those tricks seems to be intermediate to advanced.

Aug 30, 2012
Hi, I am pretty new to coin magic (I have been into cards for 5 years) and am wondering where the best sources are to learn it. Do you guys also recommend tricks like Digital Dissolve, Exile, Coin Under Watch, ect. Thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of coins. I have been told and am learning 1st hand that a mix of books and video increase my learning 10 fold. I would recommend Bobo's and the companion dvds to begin with. As for the tricks here. They are some great pieces of magic from what I have seen but I would focus on the fundamentals before getting into the advanced stuff. 3fry and unicoin are great tricks for applying some of the sleights you are learning to a real situation and they are fun to learn.

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
This might sound like blasphemy to some but i preferred learning my fundamentals from eric jones' metal DVD sets. He teaches amazingly well and you learn at the end of each DVD some short routines that look really good

Oct 27, 2013
Expert Coin Magic by David Roth is a great book that is packed with coin magic that anyone can learn. Of course I would still recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, but give David's book a try. But for the love of God, do not buy it from Dan and Dave, it's a good book but not a $65 book. I would recommend you to buy a PDF or something.

kb

Dec 29, 2013
I recommend getting Bobo's coin magic pdf book. It can show slight of hand techniques that if put into your own routines, it will amaze everyone. That's how I began preforming modified slight of hand palming and slights.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
it's a good book but not a $65 book. I would recommend you to buy a PDF or something.

This book is worth every penny! You can spend that on a coin set for just one effect, this book is a lifetimes knowledge from the best coin worker ever.

Buy bobo but I wouldn't use it in the same way as you would Royal Road or something. I see it as more of a encyclopedia, so if you are reading a trick and it says to use a certain move that you don't yet know, refer to bobo and it will be in there. Bobo can be a case of to much information in one go and can be quite overwhelming. Although I'm not a massive DVD fan (prefer books) I would highly recommend michael ammar introduction to coin magic. If you are new to coin magic I have to admit that it's much easier to learn from DVD's than books.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I too want to learn coin magic. Right now all I know is a crappy french drop, and a fake-take. I have Bobo, however, and would like to know the proper way to "worship" my copy of the holy grail of coin magic. What slights would you suggest that I learn first in the book?

Apr 17, 2013
bobos coin magic is great but first i would go with the raven it is an amazing trick and requires no skill it is a little pricey though.

Why would you go with a gimmick first thing when you can learn so much more from Bobo book or the Eric Jones videos? Besides there are better and stronger coin gimmicks out there.

Aug 30, 2012
If you take the time to learn the sleights and all the little nuances that make them look good then you will have a whole list of tricks open to you without needing gimmicks. Take the time to learn the basics.

Jun 13, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I made the mistake of trying to learn Alchemy as my first go at coin magic.....after THAT disaster, I got the Metal 1 and 2 DVDs and The Art of Magic by Downs (I love the Downs palm). I haven't read Bobo's but I have thumbed through Expert Coin Magic and it seems great just haven't bit the bullet on purchasing it. I really loved Eric Jone's teaching and his style is something I could relate to so I highly recommend that one. If you do have any questions with the Alchemy vanish (if you end up trying it) I would highly recommend sending your questions to Ben himself on his website. His advice and insight helped like nothing else. If you are going to buy coins, I really don't like the Artifact ones from E, mainly cause they look kinda cheese to me and fake but I use Kennedy half dollars and I have one of the flytrap cases I carry with me from Dan and Dave. I keep 4 in it and have a fifth in my pocket, even at work. Good luck, coin magic to me is a lost art, especially the un-gimmicked kind and if you can nail it, it can be VERY artistic and inspiring to watch.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results