Starting cardistry- how to modify flourishes?

Apr 26, 2016
I'm starting cardistry but my hands are a bit on the smaller side. I know that it's possible to do flourishes with smaller hands by modifying them. How do i do that? Is it just experimentation or is there a certain way to modify?

Apr 18, 2016
USA
Have you considered a bridge deck? That might help considering the smaller size. Other than that, just spend a thousand hours in front of a mirror, your hands will adapt with practice.

Sep 20, 2015
Going off what MarcoLostSomething said, you should really just keep practicing the flourishes. The more you do them you will naturally adapt to the movements. So you won't be doing modified versions of the flourishes, just doing the flourishes with modified grips/movements based on your hand size. Hope that helps. :)

Hashim

Reactions: lolhammertime
I'm starting cardistry but my hands are a bit on the smaller side. I know that it's possible to do flourishes with smaller hands by modifying them. How do i do that? Is it just experimentation or is there a certain way to modify?
Small hands isn't really an excuse. Cardistry relies on your dexterity. I, too, have small hands (mainly because I'm a kid) and I can do one handed cuts pretty smoothly. The key is practice. Practice, practice, practice. Also, you can choose to have a hobby like playing the piano to help build dexterity. And focus on mastery on known moves rather than learning new moves first. Master the simple/fundamental flourishes smoothly first before learning stuff like the Sybil. Hope this helped!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
There's not much I can add to what has already been said, but as someone who looks at flourishes with the eye of a troubleshooter, I'll say this:

A flourish is done the way it is done because the mechanics that are required to do it are there for a reason. And creating a shortcut to avoid a certain knack or prerequisite isn't the way to go.

Practice practice practice. Some flourishes are going to be easier than others. But it all comes down to how much work you put into it as well as having your eyes open to avoiding or rectifying any trouble spots.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results