Shaking?

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
Is there a way I can reduce my shaking during a performance? Too many times do spectators notice that I shake so much. I often play it off that I'm a naturally shaky person, which I am not.

Any tips on reducing this? Or does it only leave with time?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
You are preaching to the choir, friend. I try to start out with something that's self-working to minimal sleight of hand to break the ice. I shake when I perform too, and if I notice it becoming an issue I address it and play off it as a joke. That bit of joke usually gets them to look at me and away from my hands for me to get away with the dirty work. It's an anxiety issue that someday I will conquer but for the meantime, this is how I cope. Eventually, though, usually after a couple of tricks and they are amazed and having a good time, I'm relaxed because I've established myself and the shaking subsides or becomes a non-issue.

Reactions: Nathanhorne
Shaking is a result of anxiety on your body so your body will go into a fight or flight response. During intense anxiety, your body is flooded with adrenaline/epinephrine. Adrenaline is pure energy, and your body shakes as a result.

So basically your excitement/nervousness over performing in front of people is causing your body to react with energy it's not use to handling and it compensates by shaking. The way to overcome this shaking is to have control on how your body is expelling energy. Deep breaths (make sure they are big, deep breaths) is a way of expelling this excess of energy. Another way to do it is to yell if you can find the appropriate way to do it (i.e. doing a street magic show and yelling "Hey everyone! Come check out this awesome show I'm putting on!"). Another effective way to expel this energy is to have fun laughing. A good mix of humor and playing around with the crowd can give you a good excuse to get in a good laugh and thus lower all the adrenaline your body is producing and will instead focus on producing endorphins which will make you feel good and happy during your performance.

It's really hard to get rid of anxiety before a show begins even if you have been doing it for several years. I get a little nervous all the time right before a big show. What I have learned from doing several performances over the last two years is how to channel my anxiety and use it to give me energy into my performance. Try to keep in mind that it's the magician that makes the trick and not the other way around. Have the crowd focus on your character and have your effects be an afterthought to the character. This takes less heat off of the mechanics in case you slip up and your audience will be more focused on the story you are trying to present to them. This also allows you to have more fun with your audience so if you blow a trick big time you can play it off as a joke and use another effect to recover.

An audience can pick up on when your really nervous so if you notice you are shaking, don't freak out! Instead slow things down with a subtle yet deep breath and focus more on the story you are trying to tell. If you can crack a joke or two and laugh along with the audience, this will help them to forget that you are nervous then you can go into your effect. Once you deliver the effect and let them soak in the moment, they are going to be entertained by your show and will not give a second thought to you being nervous earlier.

A good example of what I'm talking about is Kyle Eschen's performance on Fool Us with Penn and Teller. During the performance you can clearly see he is nervous and his body shakes at times. Whenever you see his body start to shake, you will notice he slows down his act for a moment and focuses on delivering a joke and uses the audience's laughter as time to collect himself. It's a beautiful performance of comedy magic that should give you a visual representation of what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps!

Oct 19, 2015
It is probably just nerves as others commented. But, if you consume any thing with caffeine during you day of the performance that could contribute to the problem. Most soft drinks have high caffeine, also those sport energy drinks and coffee would all make the shaking worse....

Just something to consider.

Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
Tyler is spot on with his response. Also if you practice your effects enough to where you feel like you could do them in your sleep that will also help reduce your anxiety. But getting out and performing more will definitely help ease that built up tension.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Tyler's post is good advice. Let me add one thing...

Shaking can often be reduced by having a set effect and presentation to beging with and by getting positive feedback. If you are performing for a small group, have your first effect planned and scripted. When you write the script, have it so the first thing you do is ask a question or make a funny remark. When the audience responds, your body will relax because you are getting positive feedback. Have your presentaton be interactive. Close up magic is a conversation.

When I do parlor shows, I do the same effect with the same presentation. "When I tell people that I’m really interested in magic and that I’m a magician, everyone always asks me how I became so interested in magic. I think that the question they really want to ask is “why would an grown adult be so interested in magic?” Regardless of the question, the answer is the same. It’s my Uncle Jim’s fault." The "question they really want to ask" gets a laugh and the "its my Uncle Jim's fault" line draws them in -- they want to know the story.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So what is the story behind Uncle Jim, David?

There are a lot of crazy uncles out there who perform card tricks and pull coins out of ears. But Uncle Jim took the crazy uncle thing to a new level. He was very uhh… mystical. Every night he would go to his “magic” room in the basement with all his magic books, sit in his lazy-boy chair and commune with the spirits [I show empty gin bottle and mime drinking] if you know what I mean. He told everyone that he was studying ancient texts on magic, but we knew that he was just trying to avoid Aunt Bertha.

Uncle Jim wanted to leave his mark on magic by coming up with a way to make an empty bottle appear in a full deck of cards right next to a card selected by a spectator. [As I’m saying this I take out a deck of cards.] I inherited Uncle Jim’s collection of magic books and found all of his notes on what would have been his most famous trick — if it was ever performed it. After studying Uncle Jim’s notes, I realized that there is some magic that truly deserves to be performed - and some that doesn't. I’ll let you be the judge on this one. So without further undeserved fanfare, I bring you the mystery of the gin bottle and the deck of cards...

[Adapted from a script by "Uncle" Jim Steinmeyer]

Reactions: DominusDolorum
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results