Advice on Pen/Sharpie Switching

Dec 5, 2015
The idea is that I would use my regular sharpie for different tricks but at some point I would switch it out for a dead sharpie. At the end of an effect I can make a comment on how I am puzzled by the fact that the spectator was able to sign the card since the sharpie is dead.
I perform on the street so when a spectator is finished signing a card, coin, etc. they hand it back to me and I put it in my pocket. A few moments later I put myself in a position where I need to use the sharpie as a wand. When I go to my pockets I would grab the dead sharpie.

Is there any advice or any methods you use to switch pens/sharpies?

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
It's pretty simple. Just put the regular sharpie away in your pocket after they sign a card. Then, when you pull it back out, just grab the dead sharpie. You're overcomplicating things a little :)

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It's pretty simple. Just put the regular sharpie away in your pocket after they sign a card. Then, when you pull it back out, just grab the dead sharpie. You're overcomplicating things a little :)
Yeah I agree. However, if you want to absolutely have the effect happen where they are still holding it an it is in there sights, you could try this.
Have the dull sharpie just kind of clipped between your thumb and palm in the hand you don't hold a deck with (I will refer to it as the right, but if you hold the deck in your right, flip all rights with lefts after this sentence). Hold the box in the left in mechanic's grip (you probably gave them the deck to hold as a sort of clip board while they sign it. A clip board without the clip...). After you have them sign it, take the sharpie back at the fingertips of the thumb and the middle finger. Before you take the deck back just say, oh, let me put the box back. Move the working sharpie into the left hand, holding it deep in your palm, the tip between the thumb and the first 2 fingers, almost as if it were a laser pointer. As you put the box back, use your index finger of the right hand to push the sharpie into your hand, and use your thumb to pull out the dull one. Take the dull one in your left hand, leaving the writable one clipped in your left. Hand the dull one to the spectator as you take the deck and the card back. Ditch the writing sharpie in your pocket as you turn your body to take the deck, or sleeve it (though if you're sleeving it, you might as well just sleeve Sharpie A and produce Sharpie B on an off beat).

You could also do a vanish, and produce the other sharpie as you ditch the first one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results