What is in a name?

Aug 15, 2017
Well, when people say I do magic tricks...it has a weird ring to it.
Even though I know that 'magic tricks' have come out a LONG way from the rabbit-stuff, I guess it is just the social image that pops in my mind when I hear 'magic tricks' of a typical magician pulling an endless stream of silk handkerchiefs from his pocket (thank you society for drilling that impression in my mind).
But yet I refer myself as a magician and am seeing increasing number of people resorting to titles like 'illusionist' etc even though they are just magicians.
So what do you guys call yourselves?
And what is that you do?
Do you perform magic tricks, or magic, or illusions or effects?
And is it something wrong to have that typical image of a magician when I hear the word magic tricks? Is it just me?
Finally...to what degree does it influence the impact of your performance when you change into a different title (like the one specified) and call your tricks illusions or something instead of magic tricks ( illusions or mental effects, those sort of words. I don't include calling them experiments or just effects).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Two things -
1) The title you give yourself will have an impact on how people think of you, assuming they know what the title means. If we use terms like "deception artist", that means nothing to laymen, so they just think, "Ok, magician."

I call myself the Witch Doctor for a variety of reasons. Partly because of my largely esoteric style, but also because it evokes certain images. It's a term most people have heard, but don't have a solid idea of what it is, so it creates intrigue.

I've seen a lot of people try to use titles that are interesting to themselves, but that mean nothing to the audience so it doesn't help. That's not quality branding.

2) The lay audience will call you what makes sense to them. I call myself the Witch Doctor - but there's been plenty of people who called me a magician. I don't mind, because the imagery of "Witch Doctor" still hits home, but they need a title that makes sense to themselves.

I perform mystery entertainment. I probably mostly call them demonstrations, but I rarely refer to the piece itself. I just start my presentation. For example, I might talk about Asian vampires and demonstrate the concept of feeding off energy by having someone in the audience drain the energy out of an object. I might talk about unseen connections and demonstrate that by having one person experience things done to another person. My presentation for chop cup revolves around perception and how it can be manipulated.

By taking my work seriously, and labeling it as a serious thing (not somber, but serious), people are more inclined to take it seriously as well. My show is a theatrical experience - it's not me trying to trick people. It's me sharing the wonder I feel towards certain subjects, and inviting them to join me in that experience for a little while.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Do you perform magic tricks, or magic, or illusions or effects?
And is it something wrong to have that typical image of a magician when I hear the word magic tricks?

I don't like the word "tricks" because it set up expectations (I trick you, you get tricked) and because what it trivializes what we do. I like the word "magic", because there are truly magical things in our lives that have nothing to do with sleight of hand. In talking to magicians, I like to use the word "effects" to focus on what the spectators see and "method" to focus on what the magician does.

My performance pieces provide a context in which my magic is real. In my performances, there is a tremendous sense of play with imagination taking a central role and emotion / meaning not far behind. Although unsaid, my invitation to the audience is to take my hand and enter into a world where anything is possible merely because we want it to be. That sense is woven throughout my show which is titled "A Different Kind of Magic."

Aug 8, 2017
Ohio
Ooh, I like this thread, because I have some hangups about the word "magician" as well. It almost sounds too tacky. There's a bit of a stigma there. Unfair, sure. I like mentalist, but mainly because that's the type of effect I use the most.

Ooh, I like this thread, because I have some hangups about the word "magician" as well. It almost sounds too tacky.

I feel the same way.

Depending on the environment, I sometimes won't even call myself a magician (unless it is a paid gig). Sometimes I just walk up to an audience and ask, "Can I show you some magic?" That may seem tacky at times too, but it sounds less suspicious than "Can I show you something strange with a deck of cards?"

Aug 8, 2017
Ohio
I feel the same way.

Depending on the environment, I sometimes won't even call myself a magician (unless it is a paid gig). Sometimes I just walk up to an audience and ask, "Can I show you some magic?" That may seem tacky at times too, but it sounds less suspicious than "Can I show you something strange with a deck of cards?"

I'm just an all-around awkward guy, so I'll usually just pull out a deck, start fiddling with it, and without fail, someone will ask me to see some stuff. Always makes it easier on a more shy person like myself!

Sep 24, 2017
At one time, I called myself a "natural philosopher." I liked it, a lot of folks didn't, so now I'm a bit between names right now, with a character I might put an end to, soon.

Usually I just called what I did "experiments." Simple enough to ask someone to help out with something. I'd borrow a pen or ask them to hold onto a string or a packet of sugar, and we're off to the races, so to speak.

Currently I'm doing a more horror-magician character, and calling myself a "diabolist" or "diabolical evangelist." Tons of Facebook followers, but nobody's buying.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Focus on building a character and a way of presentation. That will define who you are more than a name.

Most names people give themselves often don't work because there is a disconnect between what they call themselves and what they do. A "Pasteboard Prestidigitator" might sound cool but that is incomprehensible to an audience.

I don't bother with a label because people will call me a magician. However, my character and presentations show them that I am completely different than any magician they have seen.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
A few years ago I decided that I had one power on stage. That power: "I can make you do what I want you to do". I have a handful of implied ways of exploiting this "power" persuasion, cheating, subliminal messaging, stimulation (I can make you react to a situation that tips what you are thinking), misdirection and so on.

The other side of the coin is because I am a playful cheater I know the ways that others cheat.

What does this have to do with your question? Well you can see that what I do, all of the tricks (I don't chose to avoid the word trick because it fits with my character) and pieces of magic I perform can be described in new ways besides magic.

When introducing myself I could say, "Do you believe you can be influenced on a subliminal level?", "Fraudulent psychics run rampant, most of them cheat you with nothing more than magic tricks. Would you like to see some of those tricks? I'll play the part of the phony psychic.", "Have you heard about pick pockets? I have trained myself to master their tricks would you like to see something?" and so on.

If I have to say that I am a magician then I do and either explain what I do "I create magic for that annoying Facebook magician", "I perform at corporate parties", "I'm interested in the underbelly of society and find pleasure in exposing their methods" or I jump into something that I know is different.

Tricks
For me the word trick isn't a bad word. Some magicians avoid it, and that's fine. I am influenced quite a lot by Penn and Teller. When asked what they do they flat out say "Tricks and swindles", I like the blatant honesty of it all. Illusions have a place in society and I think only a few magic tricks fit the actual definition of illusion. When I talk about a presentation I refer to it as a "piece of magic". This is similar to a "piece of music" and I like the way it sounds.

Jul 13, 2014
I'm an amateur magician. Now I don't really perform any more because I don't consider myself up to par, and am trying to work up to there. I personally hate the stereotypical magician, which sadly, but justifiably seems to be what laymen typically think of upon hearing the term. Usually, I just say that I'm interested in magic, though now, I just say card manipulation to steer people away from asking me to show them tricks. Again, bear in mind that I am just an amateur and only have, and probably only ever will perform upon request and simply refer to myself as being interested in magic when someone sees me playing with cards, and asks. I feel that as much as the bad, cheesy magician stereotype is most common, there is also the undertone of what it used to be, what it can be. Magic is cool, magicians suck, you know? I think that stating a connection to magic without calling myself a magician helps to create the "oh, you do magic, magic is cool" feeling rather than the"yuck, a magician" one. So if someone asked me if I was a magician and I felt willing and able to perform I might say "kind of," "not quite," or "in a manner of speaking"(also note how these help to generate interest by creating another question: "he's not exactly a magician. How so?" Same thing if they ask if i do magic: "sort of," "kind of," "In a manner of speaking," etc...

Jul 26, 2016
I perform "magic" in two distinct settings: (1) As a professional, who is hired to entertain people at special events or in restaurants/bars; and (2) As an amateur who performs anywhere, anytime for friends, family and strangers.

When I walk up to someone or a group of people in a professional performing setting, I introduce myself in one of two ways. I walk up and enthusiastically say, "Hi, I'm Alecatdabra, the magical entertainer." I usually smile when I say this, and then pause. They usually smile as well, and are immediately amused and intrigued. They are not sure what to make of me, but I have avoided the stereotype and potential stereotype of "magician," and have made my entry into their sphere. Then, I follow up with, "Would you like me to entertain you for a while?" 90% of the time the answer is "sure," and then off I go. (I never ask, "Would you like to see trick?"). I do one or maybe two tricks at most, and move on, leaving them wanting more. Later I can circle back and they enthusiastically welcome me and are hungry for more. Then I do a very strong trick - and that's all.

In an amateur setting, in other words with friends or family, for example, I wait until if and when I am asked to do something. I do not offer. Usually I am asked, but not always. But if I am not asked, I do not perform or ask if they want to see something. For strangers, like when I am purchasing items in a store, or doing my banking, I do not say anything about who I am or what I do. I just simply do a trick that is natural to the surroundings. For instance, if I am paying with a credit card, I will bring it out as if to pay, then do a Tenkai vanish, then reproduce it, and hand it to them to pay my tab. This invariably gets a great reaction. Sometimes at a store up at the cashier, or after a meal at a restaurant I will act as if I am short the amount I owe and pull out five one dollar bills, act embarrassed and then change them into five 100 dollar bills, and hand one over to pay with. At the bank, I have done things like get a $20 bill from a withdrawal, then do a bill switch, changing it into a $100 bill, act surprised, look at the teller and thank them, pocket the bill and walk out. Never once is the word "magician" or "trick" so much as mentioned.

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For me the word trick isn't a bad word. Some magicians avoid it, and that's fine. I am influenced quite a lot by Penn and Teller. When asked what they do they flat out say "Tricks and swindles", I like the blatant honesty of it all. Illusions have a place in society and I think only a few magic tricks fit the actual definition of illusion. When I talk about a presentation I refer to it as a "piece of magic". This is similar to a "piece of music" and I like the way it sounds.

I think that there is a difference between viewing Magic as tricks, skill or illusions. Each of those words has a different connotation for how the performance is viewed. For me, a trick implies a challenge - I'm going to try to trick you and you try to figure it out. A skill implies a demonstration of something designed to impress the audience ("wow, that must take years of practice"). An illusion implies that you are seeing something that isn't real (despite the magicians definition which includes large magic tricks done with boxes on stage). I can see effective characters built around any of those views of magic.

My character is built around the idea of illusions, typically in the context of a story (think Maskylene and Devant). I'm significantly influenced by Jim Steinmeyer. If you have his Conjuring Anthology or have read his Conjuring column in Genii, you see the whimsical nature of his presentations. I perform some of Jim's effects using his presentation with some modifications. Others, I have my own presentation.

I'm working on a needle swallowing routine that uses a glass of wine and the presentation is about how I enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day - dropping each needle into the glass as I recount my day using a series of cliches cloaked in double-entendres (being "needled" or having to deal with a "prick") and even misquoting Hamlet. I'm that context, all there is for the audience to do is feel the juxtaposition of my bad humor with the grotesque, yet sophisticated, idea of swallowing needles and washing them down with a Merlot.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results