A quote to think about.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Therein we find typified the common fault which, hitherto, has debased the practice of magic and has helped to prevent the elevation of magic to the status of a fine art. Until that fault can be corrected -- until such slavish imitation of successful work become a matter for general and honest condemnation, we must be prepared to admit that after all said and done, magic has not risen above the level of mere mechanical drudgery, the sort of work which is only undertaken by those who are incapable of doing anything better.

This was published in 1911. 107 years ago. Seems like the problems of the magic world never really change.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Interesting quotation. It's amazing the public persona/perception we receive from most of society. However, I will say that when I perform close up for 99% of my audience, I know that I have given them something special that they may only ever get a few times or that time only... in their life.

Think about it. I'm 40 years old (today actually) and prior to becoming a magician, had only seen magic on TV for the first 20 years of my life. We view the magic community as something rather large, but in reality there really aren't that many of us true performers who go out regularly and perform/entertain. Until someone sees "good" magic they tend to view us misfits and just pure child entertainment.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Happy birthday indeed!

The quote is condemning performers who copy other performers instead of creating their own work.

In other words, until we get to the point where, when someone imitates someone else's performance the standard reaction is to condemn that imitator, magic will never achieve as high a standing as it could.

In other, other words - until we all not only strive for originality, but actively condemn those who copy, we're just executing a skill.

Dec 29, 2017
I’m half in and half out regarding the quote. Sure, a lot of material is not original (though that needs a definition of range. Just changing the patter changes the tone for a trick and makes it your own performance despite the mechanical moves being 100+ years old.) and a lot of products sold from less reputable companies are recycled ideas from classic books.

However, there is a fair amount of innovation happening too. Even with that though... some of it uses fundamental ideas that aren’t original. Not to mention “classic” tricks that never cease to get a positive reaction. I would imagine every cups and balls routine style you could think of has been done in some way or another.

I suppose I will conclude my run-on thoughts with just try and take whatever you learn and put your own spin on it. At the end of the day it is the performer not the performed. Condemning people for “copying” say Blaine’s performance and patter of two card Monte as their learning and getting started might cause the art to die rather than flourish.

Happy Birthday @RickEverhart

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Condemning people for “copying” say Blaine’s performance and patter of two card Monte as their learning and getting started might cause the art to die rather than flourish.

I think everyone starts out copying other people's work. The problem is when the lack of originality continues among the more experienced magicians. I just want to cry when I see professionals performing stuff out of the box using the same hackneyed jokes and lines.
I would imagine every cups and balls routine style you could think of has been done in some way or another.

Yes and no. It may be the same basic effect, but there are a lot of variations in methods that you can use. Also, the presentation can be a lot different. I do two different routines - one uses stainless steel "shakers" and green olives to tell the story of when I used to tend bar during Law School. The other has a whimsical rapid fire street hustler patter ends up producing the 3,4 and 5 billiard balls and the 6, 7 and 8 billiard balls. I've never actually seen a performance of the cups and balls were the magician didn't start out saying, I have three cups and three balls or "this is the oldest trick in magic..."

Not to mention “classic” tricks that never cease to get a positive reaction.

I do a lot of classics - but my take on them is a bit different. I add creativity to my performance - using different methods, using different accessories, having custom made props, using different presentations. Simply put, I try to prove that I'm not one of those people who is "incapable of doing better."

Just try and take whatever you learn and put your own spin on it. At the end of the day it is the performer not the performed.

That ultimately is the answer. Make your performance of magic reflect your personality.

Reactions: JarrettC2
Mar 4, 2018
We view the magic community as something rather large, but in reality there really aren't that many of us true performers who go out regularly and perform/entertain. Until someone sees "good" magic they tend to view us misfits and just pure child entertainment.
I couldn't agree more with this. When you go out and gather data on what people's perception of magic is it usually results in something very cheesy and childish. However as you said good magic can certainly change that perception and that's why we need more of it. I also find it interesting that the magic community is huge but in reality there aren't a lot of people that perform/entertain in a real world setting. I think the rise of magic on social media platforms and gaining a following through it has resulted in a slower rise in the number of real world performers.

Also, Happy Belated Birthday!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What they are specifically talking about is copying another's performance. As in, watching someone over and over to recreate their movements and script. Or copying the scripting directly from the instructions.

Putting your own spin on something is what they are after. The basic argument being that if you're copying someone else, you'll always be an inferior copy no matter how well you duplicate that performance, by virtue of being a copy in the first place.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results