How to know when your ready ???

Everybody I really could use your advice here if you don't mind. I was wondering at what stage you knew you were ready to go out and blow some minds. I'll briefly tell you where I'm at real quick. I've been studying and practicing card magic for about a year. ( 11 months ). Now, do I know lots of tricks ?? No, but I can tell you with confidence, that I feel comfortable performing 5-7 of them. Those I believe I have almost mastered. I actually recorded myself doing them with a blindfold on and then watched and it was almost as if I didn't have it on. I have done stuff for people, but more of a hit and run thing, not a routine at all. Once I know I have them "wowed", I like to get out while it's good. My girl suggested I call the old folks home ( no disrespect ), and offer my services for free say once a month or so, just for the experience. So, I called and to my surprise the manager would like to meet and see a trick or two this week, and she asked if I was okay with the background check and I said of course. Do you think this is a good idea for experience ? What if I do mess up early on what should I do ?? I guess what I'm asking is I thought I was ready and then when the proper opportunity comes I have doubt is that normal ?? Your help would be greatly appreciated thank you

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hey,

When I started learning magic the first thing I wanted was to perform those things I had learnt.

Rarely did I perform something that I had perfected. I learnt quickly that for the most part it didn't matter.

I'd always start with "I'm learning something new and I'd like to show you" or "I'm just starting out with Magic so bare with me" which would drop peoples guards almost all of the time.

The time frame to perform on your own time (not being paid) is wholly up to your confidence and willingness to encounter errors.

When being paid I would have more caution with what I perform to ensure it is up to par but for street work or free performances I tend to do things I normally wouldn't so as to learn from those performances what I need to improve. That pattern seems to have never changed for me.

I know plenty of magic that I have never performed as well, things that just need time to be nurtured before I show anyone etc.

By the sounds of the post above you want to do this, and if you do, do it.

Mistakes will be made, but you will be better off for it.

We all did our first performance somewhere ,to someone and the feeling of nailing an effect is the best in the world.

Enjoy it!

B

Hey,

When I started learning magic the first thing I wanted was to perform those things I had learnt.

Rarely did I perform something that I had perfected. I learnt quickly that for the most part it didn't matter.

I'd always start with "I'm learning something new and I'd like to show you" or "I'm just starting out with Magic so bare with me" which would drop peoples guards almost all of the time.

The time frame to perform on your own time (not being paid) is wholly up to your confidence and willingness to encounter errors.

When being paid I would have more caution with what I perform to ensure it is up to par but for street work or free performances I tend to do things I normally wouldn't so as to learn from those performances what I need to improve. That pattern seems to have never changed for me.

I know plenty of magic that I have never performed as well, things that just need time to be nurtured before I show anyone etc.

By the sounds of the post above you want to do this, and if you do, do it.

Mistakes will be made, but you will be better off for it.

We all did our first performance somewhere ,to someone and the feeling of nailing an effect is the best in the world.

Enjoy it!

B
B,
Your absolutely right, thank you !! That's just what I needed to hear. The best response I've ever heard from people is after a Trick they'll actually thank me and say, " that made my day ", I'll never forget that feeling, as almost as if you were helping them, maybe I was, idk, all's I know is somebody who's down and out and the world seems impossible when you show him a trick all of a sudden their universe becomes possible again Spreading magic love my friend. Thanks again - Ry

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I'm glad you decided to stay :)

I think this is a great way to get some experience. It's also totally normal to feel nervous or unready for stuff like this. Just don't do anything you don't feel confident you can perform without error.

And if you mess up, don't sweat it. Like Byron said, if you preface each trick with a statement about how you're trying something new, most people won't care and will let you try again or start another trick. This is also a good opportunity to practice recoveries from messed up tricks. You could ask them what the card was, control it to the top, and make up something about how it's the only card you keep in your pocket. Or if you have an Invisible Deck on you, you could use that.

Anyway, I think working at the old folks home could be a great learning experience. Plus, it gets your name out there and you get more practice performing around others.

I'm glad you decided to stay :)

I think this is a great way to get some experience. It's also totally normal to feel nervous or unready for stuff like this. Just don't do anything you don't feel confident you can perform without error.

And if you mess up, don't sweat it. Like Byron said, if you preface each trick with a statement about how you're trying something new, most people won't care and will let you try again or start another trick. This is also a good opportunity to practice recoveries from messed up tricks. You could ask them what the card was, control it to the top, and make up something about how it's the only card you keep in your pocket. Or if you have an Invisible Deck on you, you could use that.

Anyway, I think working at the old folks home could be a great learning experience. Plus, it gets your name out there and you get more practice performing around others.
Hey Tony,
How are you?? It's great to hear from you. Yes I appreciate that well said. I think I'm going to take more of the approach where I don't want to be centre-stage obviously you know what I mean by that. I'll just be hanging out in the rec room and walking around to those who look like they could use some entertainment. I would feel more comfortable doing it that approach that way I only have two three people tops at a time. That way I only have two three people tops at a time..... But I guess we'll just see how it goes, thanks for the encouraging words. Hope all is well.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Hey Tony,
How are you?? It's great to hear from you. Yes I appreciate that well said. I think I'm going to take more of the approach where I don't want to be centre-stage obviously you know what I mean by that. I'll just be hanging out in the rec room and walking around to those who look like they could use some entertainment. I would feel more comfortable doing it that approach that way I only have two three people tops at a time. That way I only have two three people tops at a time..... But I guess we'll just see how it goes, thanks for the encouraging words. Hope all is well.
I'm doing well. And that approach will work well until you feel comfortable being "centre-stage" as you put it. And good luck mate! let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
The thing that got me performing properly was my own little ideal of "never say no" I started getting asked if I could perform for friends and in the back of my mind I would have this sense of "what if I'm not ready" I would just say to myself, "make it work"

I started with friends parties for little or no money, and then I started getting emails for weddings and corperatc things. Some would involve driving overnight to get to. But they were always fun and I'll keep doing it.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Love that you're starting to branch out! I have a bit of advice when it comes to performing for an older crowd. They love to talk, and you should engage with them as much as possible. I will do really simple things so that my focus is on them the entire time and I've even stopped doing tricks for 10-20 mins just to talk with them. You dont need to carry on a conversation for that long, but if you find yourself in a situation where they seem particularly chatty, don't ignore them. Listen, and engage. You will feel so much at ease and the rest will be a cakewalk. :)

Love that you're starting to branch out! I have a bit of advice when it comes to performing for an older crowd. They love to talk, and you should engage with them as much as possible. I will do really simple things so that my focus is on them the entire time and I've even stopped doing tricks for 10-20 mins just to talk with them. You dont need to carry on a conversation for that long, but if you find yourself in a situation where they seem particularly chatty, don't ignore them. Listen, and engage. You will feel so much at ease and the rest will be a cakewalk. :)

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Believe it or not, going out and blowing minds is part of the learning process. Typically the way I learn magic and practice is as follows:

1. Learn moves: learn the individual techniques required to achieve the desired effect. Practice in front of a mirror to see what the sleights look like from the audience POV. Perfect them independent of each other before moving on to stage 2.

2. Rehearse your routine: Now that rah individual move has been perfected, you are ready to put them together into your routine. Practice from start to end including patter and what you want to say. Iron out any issues with the transitions as well as adjust your timing etc. I suggest recording yourself going through your routine and watch it back for mistakes in the technique or in your performance.

3. Perform for real folks: now that you can perform the routine all the way through without messing up and feel confident with your patter, you will need to start performing for real people. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn’t as well as timing and misdirection when performing for real people. The blowing kinda part will come with experience. Just make sure you do not jump to step 3 until you have perfected steps 1&2!

Hope this helps?

Aug 15, 2017
Everybody I really could use your advice here if you don't mind. I was wondering at what stage you knew you were ready to go out and blow some minds. I'll briefly tell you where I'm at real quick. I've been studying and practicing card magic for about a year. ( 11 months ). Now, do I know lots of tricks ?? No, but I can tell you with confidence, that I feel comfortable performing 5-7 of them. Those I believe I have almost mastered. I actually recorded myself doing them with a blindfold on and then watched and it was almost as if I didn't have it on. I have done stuff for people, but more of a hit and run thing, not a routine at all. Once I know I have them "wowed", I like to get out while it's good. My girl suggested I call the old folks home ( no disrespect ), and offer my services for free say once a month or so, just for the experience. So, I called and to my surprise the manager would like to meet and see a trick or two this week, and she asked if I was okay with the background check and I said of course. Do you think this is a good idea for experience ? What if I do mess up early on what should I do ?? I guess what I'm asking is I thought I was ready and then when the proper opportunity comes I have doubt is that normal ?? Your help would be greatly appreciated thank you
These last moment doubts trouble everyone. And if they don't trouble you, you are doing something wrong. :)
See, this is a part of the fun! The nervousness. The unpredictability. If you plan everything in advance and try to make everything in life go according to your plans, how will you give life a chance to surprise you?

My formula is always that I go in with high hopes, high confidence, high self-belief but low expectations. I am trying to say that, have a LOT of confidence, but don't have any expectations. If you think about this a little, you'll get what I'm saying. And where there are no expectations, there are no disappointments!

Even if something does not work as planned, tell yourself that it will be a lesson for you. You won't die, so what's the harm in making mistakes? The catch is learning from them! So even if things go wrong, take it easy.

If one trick goes wrong, keep your cool, otherwise you'll mess up other tricks as well, which you do NOT want. Let me also tell you that confidence is key. If the manager sees that you keep your cool and have good 'crowd-control' even when you mess up, I don't think he will be any less impressed. Remain confident.

All that said, I really do NOT think that anything WILL go wrong. As I said, it is just nervousness, and part of the excitement. I mean, I myself have worried abt the stupidest things before performing (think buildings catching fire, earthquakes and tsunamis striking the place where I am performing)...but ultimately, NOTHING bad happens.

To answer your question, I NEVER knew when I was ready to perform. I don't think I know even today. I invented a trick myself when I was 8 (it was the worst, but yeah, let's move on) and performed it. Was I ready? I dunno. Did my audience love it? Yes they did (100% of the reason=The audience was just my parents and elder sister). Did I have a good time performing? Yup!

Fast forward 6 years and today, Am I ready? I dunno. Does my audience love it? Yes they do (judging by how much they scream or at times just stay quiet, love when that happens). Do I have a good time performing? Yup!

There's no such signal that people get when they are ready to perform. It's not God who whispers in you ears,

"You are ready , my child. Go and do what the Fates desire of you. Go and do card tricks."

It's whenever you want. Just practice it enough. How much? Well, practice can be divided into three checkpoints:-

1) When you are completely aware of the sleight and do it perfectly, but it's obvious.
2) When you do the sleight so well that it becomes invisible.
3) When you yourself don't even know when you performed the sleight. Meaning, you don't need to think about it, it's second nature to you.

After you reach the 3rd checkpoint, do whatever you like.

But a simple rule-of thumb?

When you start believing what you say during your performance. You are ready.

Any sort of performance anytime in your magical journey will help you gain experience. So I'd say, not only is this an amazing oppurtunity, but, say yes to every single chance you get EXCEPT WHEN FRIENDS KEEP NAGGING YOU TO PERFORM!
Have some ego for your art :D

Finally, as I said, relax. And...

Best of luck! :)

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Believe it or not, going out and blowing minds is part of the learning process. Typically the way I learn magic and practice is as follows:

1. Learn moves: learn the individual techniques required to achieve the desired effect. Practice in front of a mirror to see what the sleights look like from the audience POV. Perfect them independent of each other before moving on to stage 2.

2. Rehearse your routine: Now that rah individual move has been perfected, you are ready to put them together into your routine. Practice from start to end including patter and what you want to say. Iron out any issues with the transitions as well as adjust your timing etc. I suggest recording yourself going through your routine and watch it back for mistakes in the technique or in your performance.

3. Perform for real folks: now that you can perform the routine all the way through without messing up and feel confident with your patter, you will need to start performing for real people. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn’t as well as timing and misdirection when performing for real people. The blowing kinda part will come with experience. Just make sure you do not jump to step 3 until you have perfected steps 1&2!

Hope this helps?
O'Brien,
Of course that helps tremendously thank you so much !! Believe me anytime I can get an advice off of an expert it's sinking down into my brain right now LOL. And US Irish boys have a tough time remembering things haha. That's awesome I just broke it down so simple but yet so effective. I will definitely let you know how I make out if I even get the opportunity. Regardless I'm going to act as though I have an opportunity coming because you never know when it will come and I want to be ready stay well my friend and thanks again. - Ryan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results