In Need of Some Good Effect Ideas

May 26, 2017
Hi,

I just posted a few days ago about needing advice on how to not obsess about learning so many different magic tricks. This post I also need advice with some ideas for strong effects. I work as a camp counselor and we have this thing called "Morning Madness" everyday where the camp staff will do silly things. For the past 2 weeks I did a trick on Friday. The first one was very simple where I just turned little pieces of white paper into multiple colored confetti. Today I did a variation of a card in an orange and it floored not only the kids but the adult staff. Now they want me to do a trick every week.

Most of the magic I have done was close-up card magic but I am starting to drift away from it and find other things I enjoy more. So essentially most of the stuff I ever practiced was not made for performing in front of a large audience. I set the bar really high with the card in orange effect and am in need of just some killer effects that could amaze children and adults on a stage setting. They seem to have quite the high expectations and so I really just want to find some things to practice that will at least kind of match my performance today quality wise.

The type of magic doesn't matter too much. If you have a suggestion please just tell me regardless if it is coin, card, mentalism, sponge balls, etc.

It is fine if it is some sort of gimmick or prop you have to buy also. Thanks.

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
I have quite a few personal preferences:
Spoon/fork bending: It’s a really strong effect. It’s not really that difficult, but not easy either. Make sure you get a rather soft fork/spoon.
I recommend starting with “Metal Bending (World’s Greatest Magic)” http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17049 you can buy the download from penguin magic in the link above.
Psychokinetic Silverware by Banachek is also great, but the (World’s Greatest Magic) has more different bends, is cheaper, and can be downloaded (as opposed to DVD). It’s great for both beginners and experienced.

-Or Not by Danni Dairtiz: my favorite card trick. You can get it from penguin magic. It’s not really difficult to perform, but requires some doing. It’s a really strong effect that leaves people having no clue what you did. The trick requires a technique that is not included in the download (it’s free, though, depending on which version you choose), and I can’t tell you (because that would be exposing), but if you buy the trick, send me a PM and I can lead you on the right path.

- ABCD test. Even though it’s technically a 1/4 chance, it gets really great reactions. Basically, a spectator cross a letter (ABC or D), and their letter is the one you had written in the back of the paper beforehand. You can learn it from Banachek’s PSI Series 1, but he goes into more detail in Psychological subtleties 1. It is more expensive, though, but PSI Series 1 definitely works, and you also learn “Add a number” (great effect) and PK writing (even greater effect).

-Invisible Deck. Anyone using the Invisible Deck will tell you it’s great. Because it is. I include a simple deck production (when you make the invisible deck visible. You will understand if you get it and read the instructions), which is a modified version of Etienne Pradier’s “bottle production” from his live lecture on Penguinmagic.

-Imaginary Ball. Great effect. You can get it rather cheap at the theory11 marketplace, under “mentalist”

-Unlimited by Banachek. Not a “trick”, but more of a technique. It can be a standalone trick, though. It’s a little bit pricy for one technique, but it’s a great one. Basically, you can predict any word or date someone throws at you. Really nice.

That is all I can recommend at the moment. But if you are looking for inspiration, the youtube channel “SankeyMagic” is great. Magician YouTube channels usually aren’t great, but SankeyMagic is the best.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results