Looking for tricks involving anything psychokinetic

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
I really enjoy magic involving psychokinesis. I am currently doing metal bending and Pk touches, and I am getting into using loops soon.

I am especially interested in learning something involving shadows (like hitting the shadow of a can, and the can falls over), but it’s not limited to that.

I would prefer to do without magnets. I hate those pesky things.

Any suggestions?

May 21, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
I am of the opinion that PK effects are basically magic tricks for mentalists... I do them sometimes, but you gotta think about how it fits with the way you present your art. Sometimes less is more. Banachek in particular talks about people doing "balloon animals with forks." Don't be that guy unless it's a conscious decision on your part. For me, I will every once in a while do a fork bend or a nickel bend. Coin bending ins probably the easiest to get into. You can make up a ton of bent coins and have them handy, and the spectator gets to keep it to remember your performance. Just consider what goes with your character.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
Banachek in particular talks about people doing "balloon animals with forks." Don't be that guy
I agree. You hear Morgan Strebler and David Penn talk very passionately about "destroying" forks, and that isn't really inherently "bad" depending on your style, but I prefer to keep it within reason. I wouldn't call myself a "mentalist", as I don't want to limit myself with what I can or can't do, but I do consider myself to be more of a"psychic" type of magician. I really love that style.

How much are you looking to spend?
Right now I am not in the best position financially, but if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. DVD's (I prefer downloads, though, as I don't want to wait too long) , gimmicks, books. I hear there are some pretty interesting (and expensive) gimmicks for PK touches, and while I probably will be getting it at some point, it is outside my price range right now. So just shoot, and I shall see if it's for me.

Reactions: Ocelotl

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Geist by Taylor Engineering is really cool - it can operate two separate reels, one for thin thread, one for stage thread, or you can swap in an electromagnet coil instead. Remote controlled. Christopher's work is top notch - his electronics look like artwork to me. But it's $300 and up.

You kind of have to figure out what you are trying to display to really decide what direction to go. I used to bend metal, but at the risk of sounding like a hipster, it just got too mainstream. People were doing it without giving it the respect it needed to be a real mystery, so now it comes across as a magic trick unless you put serious work into avoiding that. The payoff isn't enough for me, personally.

I also used to do the occasional object-moving with IT but stopped doing that as well. For pretty much the same reasons as metal bending, but also because IT is a royal pain in my tuckus and I got tired of dealing with it.

Let's see - Oh yes, the Venom reels are good, too. If you want to work with IT I think those guys took a significant step forward in methodology. Arthur has some really solid work on that instructional video. You can use other reels as well, such as the Mini-Boss which is cheap - but I've also found it to be problematic.

It's hard to beat loops, though. Easy to hide, quick to use, lots of variety of effects you can pull off. If you get IET spools you can tie your own loops and make them any size you want/need.

Personally, the only PK effects I do any more are PK Touch-style routines, and as I've mentioned elsewhere - Banachek, Lior Manor, D'Angelo, Peter Turner, and Colin Cloud have the work on that plot published. Oh, and Luke Jermay. Each of them have more or less unique approaches (Peter's is strongly inspired by Luke's but I consider them unique enough to be separate entities). My own work on this plot is drifting more and more esoteric as I go. Actually, one of these days I have to look into Jerome Finley's Energetic Touches - I bet that's similar to what I've been moving towards.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Christopher mentioned a bunch of the ones I was gonna bring up.

One trick that's actually pretty neat imo and I think you'd like is Fall by Banachek and Philip Ryan. It's like $20 and it's his old PK pen effect built into a Sharpie. You can also set how long you want it to be before the pen falls which is useful. Sure you could do this with IT but since the pen is gimmicked, you could do the effect under a glass or from a distance.

May 21, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
One of the other things about PK effects is that they are great for maintaining visual interest in Mentalism. Theven best performers of mentalism find ways to make their act visually interesting, with large predictions etc. But maybe you are asked to perform on the spot and don't have anything visual. A little PK can break up the cerebral monotony of telepathy, Q and A, etc. A bad mentalist is boring.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think that's a bit of magician's thinking creeping into mentalism, though.

If you look back to when mentalism was King of Entertainment, ie: the late 1800s through the early 1900s, a mentalist act was either Q&A, or Hellstromism, or Hypnosis, or some combination thereof. A big part of why they were so popular was that they could walk on stage and do their thing at a moment's notice, whereas magicians took up back stage space setting up all their gizmos and doodads.

Read The Encyclopedia of Mentalism and Allied Arts, and also Mind Readers. Both give good accounts of classic mentalist acts.

So when mentalism was at its absolute most popular, it was also the most cerebral. PK effects which were visual started being more popular when magicians started calling themselves mentalists and wanted "Tada" moments. These days a lot of the guys who are saying they are mentalist are really mental magicians. The true mentalists don't often get much spotlight (often by choice).

That being said, adding PK effects can provide more visual stimulus if the show needs it. You are right about that.

May 21, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
It's just a problem that mentalism runs into, just like how card magicians have their own problem... a lot of people don't want to see a litany of card tricks. Finding any little way to keep interest transcends magic or mentalism; it's just staging and being a good performer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results