Where can I volunteer for show?

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
I want to perform more shows to improve. Obviously, I am not good enough to get paid so I want to know where I can perform free shows.
I have asked my old teacher if I can perform in her class, which I can, and I have performed for my little sister’s class, and they want me to come again.

Is there anywhere else where I can volunteer to perform?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
You are probably good enough to be paid. What you do is worth something. That said, retirement homes are always looking for entertainment and they have a very forgiving audience (generally). If you attend magic club meetings they will usually have a lot of time where you can perform for them and get feedback. Also, look for talent competitions. Competitions give you a good goal with a solid criteria (date, type of performance etc) to prepare for.

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
You are probably good enough to be paid.
I mean, yeah, bad, but I don’t consider myself smooth enough to have it all hanging on a paycheck. I need a bit more experience before I will demand money.

And a retirement home sounds nice. Any tips there? I mean, would mentalism be too heavy for an elderly audience, or would it be the perfect style? And how should I go about it, generally? How should I act and such?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, I would advise against mentally demanding routines for a retirement home (from personal experience). But before you worry about my experiences, I would say talk to the people who work there. They will be able to tell you the cognitive levels of the residents and from there you can figure out what would be good to perform.

My first regular performance area was a farmer's market where I would busk. I also performed at magic club meetings. Wasn't very long before I started doing private parties and then mixing fire, circus, and magic together for paid gigs.

I personally believe there are few things that will both humble and hone a magician faster than busking. You can get so much "flight time" as it were when you busk. Because you just set up, do your show, then let the crowd disperse after tipping you, and do it again. And again. And again. So on.

But you have recently talked about wanting to shift towards a mental performance style - so I wouldn't advise necessarily sticking with busking for too long. Busking pushes one towards a particular performance style because that's what works. Generally comedy.

But the thing is this - crowds have no investment in you. So you have to entertain them or they will just walk away. Doesn't matter if you're in the middle of a trick, they'll just walk off. Once you get good at drawing a crowd and getting a steady hat at the end of your show, that's a good time to start trying to book strolling gigs, or parlor shows.

Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
@ChristopherT
I never thought of busking. I never even know the word before I looked it up 10 minutes ago.
It's illegal to gather money from street performance in Denmark, though, so that kind of sucks.

But do you have any tips on busking? I have seen street performers before, but it is not something I am familiar with

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The biggest tip I have is: Kozmo's Tales from the Streets DVD set. Kozmo's a really good busker, and he goes over everything you need for busking on that set. Keep in mind, it's geared towards magic not mental performances.

If you're not gathering money that might make it easier in regards to doing more mental performances, though. Since you wouldn't be able to use hat lines you'd just gather a crowd, do the performance, and then make sure everyone knows your name and how to contact you. Business cards would be important there.

Reactions: The VIP Gentleman
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results