I need to perform more.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I'm leaving for my sophomore year of college tomorrow. I didn't perform a lot of magic last year or this summer and just spent a lot of time practicing, which isn't a bad thing by any means. The thing is, the few times I have performed for people have been great and I had sort of forgotten what it was like to perform for others. The thing is, I also don't like the sort of "street magic" approach of just asking people if they want to see magic. I always feel like I'm interrupting or invading their space.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for me to get out and perform more. This could be anything from potential venues, events, or specific situations.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Nov 3, 2018
One tip I've seen mentioned in another thread somewhere is to just have the cards out in the open and practice something with them while walking around (riffle shuffles, cardistry if you can do something, anything really, but the flashier the better). People will start asking on their own: "Oh, you do magic?" Even if they aren't specifically asking to see a trick (though the follow-up question is usually just that), you can sort of "interpret" their question as that: "Yeah, I've been doing it for some years. Want to see a trick?"

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
The thing is, the few times I have performed for people have been great and I had sort of forgotten what it was like to perform for others. The thing is, I also don't like the sort of "street magic" approach of just asking people if they want to see magic. I always feel like I'm interrupting or invading their space.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for me to get out and perform more. This could be anything from potential venues, events, or specific situations.

Thanks guys!

If you are performing street magic then you are interupting people...but interuptions are not necessarily bad. This just means you have to respect peoples time as you go fishing for some people with a spare few minutes, so get to the point quickly!

In addition to what Scodischarge said, let them know something along the lines of "I do 3 things and it takes 10 minutes" ...hopefully something catchier than that though. Chris Randall says "I do something sleight of handy, something impossible, and something gross". If they are interested then its a green light on the magic!!...if not you only slowed them down about a minute or less and you can both turn your attention elsewhere.

If approaching the unsuspecting is unsettling to you still you could try 'senior centers' and the like. Places like that sometimes have open time and welcome people coming in to provide activites....sometimes its watercoloring or other paintings, or a reading, just a social and so on.

Is there someplace you frequent often like a coffee house or deli? Make some magic thats specific to those places so it appears impromptu when you are there. Stir sticks, the bags they use, sugar packets,salt n pepper shakers, straws, (straw through dollar) there are lots of potential props to use of gaff. Hows your torn and restored napkin?

Since youare at college...have a Svengali notebook?

Apr 26, 2013
I'm leaving for my sophomore year of college tomorrow.

So some ideas that I’ve played with when developing opportunities for college students in what used to be a campus magic club. If you reach out to the Student Affairs, or Student Services, folks on your campus you can probably find several different opportunities to perform (and I’m not talking about shows). Clubs and Organizations or even fraternity and sorority houses may be an opportunity to perform in a sort of parlor element. But you could also connect with them and offer to perform at any booths they may have on campus during events. This would be the college environment equivalent of a trade show experience where your performing is meant to draw attention and bring people up to the booth. We would have several booth opportunities on campus throughout the semester, and this a great opportunity to perform lots of different types of material.

Look for open mic night type events, or even talent show opportunities if they would fit the style of performance you are looking for. For a more restaurant performance environment you could reach out to your university’s dining services - especially if you have a spot on campus that where students have to wait a little from when they order till their food is ready.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
So some ideas that I’ve played with when developing opportunities for college students in what used to be a campus magic club. If you reach out to the Student Affairs, or Student Services, folks on your campus you can probably find several different opportunities to perform (and I’m not talking about shows). Clubs and Organizations or even fraternity and sorority houses may be an opportunity to perform in a sort of parlor element. But you could also connect with them and offer to perform at any booths they may have on campus during events. This would be the college environment equivalent of a trade show experience where your performing is meant to draw attention and bring people up to the booth. We would have several booth opportunities on campus throughout the semester, and this a great opportunity to perform lots of different types of material.

Look for open mic night type events, or even talent show opportunities if they would fit the style of performance you are looking for. For a more restaurant performance environment you could reach out to your university’s dining services - especially if you have a spot on campus that where students have to wait a little from when they order till their food is ready.
I'll look into some of that stuff! Thank you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results