Handheld magnetic levitation?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Having played with magnetic levitation desk toys, I know how finicky it can be to get the objects to stay in place within the field. It helped me understand why magicians rarely, if ever, use magnets to accomplish levitation effects.

A friend asked me if it would be possible to make a handheld one that you could levitate objects with. I thought it might be impractical given the size and the fact that you generally have to keep the base and object level with each other. However, are there other, less speculative reasons this wouldn't work? Because I'm not 100% sure it wouldn't.

Thanks guys

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It would be very impractical to try to do a hand-held levitation via magnets.

The size of the magnets required to levitate anything of substance would make it extremely difficult to be deceptive with. The action of trying to balance the magnetic force in such a way that the object being levitated didn't just fly off in random directions would require extreme care.

When you see those levitating magnetic displays, there's four electromagnets balancing the force - like four upside down bowls. The levitated object is basically resting on the curve of those spheres of magnetic force and being pushed/pulled in all four directions at once. If any of those electromagnets is weaker or stronger than the others, it doesn't work.

So - in short - you're right. It wouldn't work in any practical sense due to the nature of magnets and magnetic force.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
It would be very impractical to try to do a hand-held levitation via magnets.

The size of the magnets required to levitate anything of substance would make it extremely difficult to be deceptive with. The action of trying to balance the magnetic force in such a way that the object being levitated didn't just fly off in random directions would require extreme care.

When you see those levitating magnetic displays, there's four electromagnets balancing the force - like four upside down bowls. The levitated object is basically resting on the curve of those spheres of magnetic force and being pushed/pulled in all four directions at once. If any of those electromagnets is weaker or stronger than the others, it doesn't work.

So - in short - you're right. It wouldn't work in any practical sense due to the nature of magnets and magnetic force.
Thought so! Thank you Christopher!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results