How to make a show?

Nov 11, 2020
i want to make my first show to have something to pitch in to potential clients, or just smething to work on in the backgrund. how do i go abt it? i knw card tricks and 1/2 coin tricks, some mental magic tricks.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. Decide the venue for your show -- someone's home (parlor), street busking, restaurant (table hopping), stage, etc.
2. Decide you audience - kids, all ages, teenagers, college students, adults, senior citizens.
3. Determine your character - what is your performing personality? That really is what holds a show together and determines everything else.
4. List every effect you would like to perform
5. Develop presentations for every effect you want to perform (more than saying what you are doing). Every effect should be a polished presentation piece that looks like you put thought and effort into making it the best effect you have.
6. Figure out how many effects you want in your show. Figure 5 to 7 effects per half hour.
7. Select the effects for your show and determine their order:
a. Eliminate any effects that aren't strong. Ignore advice that says where to put your strong effects and where to put less powerful effects. If an effect isn't powerful, eliminate it.
b. Determine an opening effect which is something that draws the audience's interest and introduces your character.
c. Determine your closing effect which is something that will leave an impression on your audience.
d. Determine which effects have similar props, plots or presentations and choose the one which fits best in your show.
e. Pay attention to the texture of your show by having a variety of effects. Vary your props. You need more than cards and coins.
f. BUT arrange effects to provide comfortable transitions. You can't do a serious effect and then a comedy one right after it.​
8. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.
9. Perform, get feedback and revise.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Basically, I agree with all this, below -

1. Decide the venue for your show -- someone's home (parlor), street busking, restaurant (table hopping), stage, etc.
2. Decide you audience - kids, all ages, teenagers, college students, adults, senior citizens.
3. Determine your character - what is your performing personality? That really is what holds a show together and determines everything else.
4. List every effect you would like to perform
5. Develop presentations for every effect you want to perform (more than saying what you are doing). Every effect should be a polished presentation piece that looks like you put thought and effort into making it the best effect you have.
6. Figure out how many effects you want in your show. Figure 5 to 7 effects per half hour.
7. Select the effects for your show and determine their order:
a. Eliminate any effects that aren't strong. Ignore advice that says where to put your strong effects and where to put less powerful effects. If an effect isn't powerful, eliminate it.
b. Determine an opening effect which is something that draws the audience's interest and introduces your character.
c. Determine your closing effect which is something that will leave an impression on your audience.
d. Determine which effects have similar props, plots or presentations and choose the one which fits best in your show.
e. Pay attention to the texture of your show by having a variety of effects. Vary your props. You need more than cards and coins.
f. BUT arrange effects to provide comfortable transitions. You can't do a serious effect and then a comedy one right after it.​
8. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.
9. Perform, get feedback and revise.

With minor adjustments due to my style of show.

I would put 3 at number 1. In my opinion the character portrayed will significantly impact the venues and audiences you aim for (but this is personal preference).

Personally I tend to have about 5 - 6 effects/routines in an hour long program. Again - personal preference.

I want to emphasize this, because of how much I agree with it:

I don't believe in "filler" material. If one finds themselves putting a "filler" routine in, cut that part out and just do a shorter show.

I will also drop this link here: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/creating-a-show.51322/#/post-480242

But note that replies should stay in this thread, instead of dredging up that old one (per T11 rules).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results