11-Draw A Crowd-11

If you are always stuck performing for a measly two people, and the passers by, are well, just... passing by, you may want to change that. If you want people to stop, watch, and stay, read this, some tips will definitely help you!

Drawing a crowd is not an easy task, you have to have a routine that consistently amazes, and gets better as it goes along. If you have a routine which consists of an unvaried series of effects, people will quickly lose interest and decide to leave the crowd. You may want to check out some threads on routining in the forums, I know there are tons.

To draw a crowd, the effects must generate a lot of energy. You want people to be loud after the tricks are shown, so that it attracts people to turn their heads and watch the magic. If you have ever driven passed a car accident, you must have turned your head to see what was going on. Why is that? Because it is so blatantly plastered in your line of sight, you are compelled to look, it is in human nature to look at a disaster or an accident, we MUST know what's going on. That is why if screams are present, passers by will be COMPELLED to look, it's what humans do.

Let's say you have a crowd, there is no guarantee that they will stay the full length of your routine, in order too keep everyone interested, you must get everyone involved with the magic, not just your original spectators, if everyone is involved, they will be more likely to stay, and attract even more people. Crowds attract crowds, people just don't want to be left out of that crowd, they want to be part of the action, not another brick in the wall (thank you Pink Floyd). If you watch some of David Blaine's or Criss Angel's videos, you see the crowd start to grow because of the atmosphere that David or Criss creates.

If you are looking to attract a crowd, you are going to want to have tricks that involve audience participation, and a lot of it! Each time you need a participant, use someone different so they feel accepted in this "crowd of magic". Acceptance is all they need, if you acknowledge each and every one of these different spectators, they will feel accepted and will feel noticed, so once again, will be compelled to stay, they are part of the act now, not just spectators.

These were small tips, I encourage everyone to write their own tips and I encourage everyone to search for articles regarding presentation, and routineing to attract the biggest crowds possible!

Mitchell

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
When people are lingering, just trying to get glimpse of what's going on, call them in. Bring them into the crowd and keep doinig that til you're crowd's built for a bit. With enough of a crowd more people will want to see, and it will start to attract a lot of attention.

Personally, I don't mind performing to bigger crowds, but I like the intimacy of 5-10 people tops. It means I can direct focus at people, intstead of a crowd, and I don't have to change my mentality mid-performance.

Ty

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
One way that I pull more people in is to stop them as they pass and get them involved. Like if you're doing a mentalism effect that is going to be easily performed with a gimmick... just stop someone walking by and say...

"Excuse me, will you help me for a second... Can you choose one of these people here so that its completely at random?"

That will get them and whoever else they are with involved... and they usually stay for at least that effect.

Pulling a crowd isn't really hard as long as you do it in places where people have time.. or to be even more accurate, the illusion of time. People walking around downtown at lunch typically are in a rush to get done eating and back to work.. but a saturday, in the shopping disctrict... they have all the time in the world.

My town is bad for that, I live in a very small place, so the number of people on the main drag downtown at any given time during the day is maybe 20- 30 tops and they are all on like an 8-9 block long street (not easy to draw someone in whos 100 feet away)

Very good tips though

Sep 1, 2007
England
I think the best way to get a crowd is to first approach a group of people if possible, I think it tends to be harder if you only approach 1 person at first. Then get people walking by involved 'excuse me, do you have a minute? Could you pick a card' etc. etc.

Once people start to realise that you are not just showing your friends something but a whole group of strangers they are more likely to stop and watch.

Tom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results