13 Steps to Mentalism-Swami Gimmick

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hey guys so today I got 13 steps in the mail today and read throught the first step and going to the second. Have some question on the swami gimmick. What are some online stores where I can buy swami. I can't really ask which one is better because its down to prefence. But I will like some advice on swami.

One more question on the book itself. I'm suppose to read the book cover to cover or just through some of them? Its sounds like a stupid question guessing that I'm suppose to read everything. A quick thought on pencil reading. As anyone actually pratice pencil reading in front of a mirror? Like will it work. I just ask my mom to write a few numbers and I'm stuck on a couple so I was wondering if this will increase my avaiblty to pencil read.

Thanks guys. Sorry for so many questions?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You can pretty much get one off any magic website. You will have to realize that SOME of the Swami's mentioned in the book probably will not be on the market anymore.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
You can pretty much get one off any magic website. You will have to realize that SOME of the Swami's mentioned in the book probably will not be on the market anymore.

Yeah thats true considering that the book is old. Thanks Randy.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Learning to work with a Swami gimmick IS a thing of personal preference. I tend to keep my nails very short so the under-the-nail type don't work for me and too, I don't like the angle you have to hold your thumb at when working with them, which is why I use the Thumb Tip style or what most of we old timers call a "Banjo Pick" Swami... Lee Earle popularized some years ago; go to the local music store and buy a couple of Banjo thumb picks that fit your own thumb well.

Both of these designs allow the lead to rest more at the thumb's center, which makes it easier to write with.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys so today I got 13 steps in the mail today and read throught the first step and going to the second. Have some question on the swami gimmick. What are some online stores where I can buy swami. I can't really ask which one is better because its down to prefence. But I will like some advice on swami.

Just about anywhere, to be honest. Look at any big magic shop. Or any brick and mortar one too.

One more question on the book itself. I'm suppose to read the book cover to cover or just through some of them? Its sounds like a stupid question guessing that I'm suppose to read everything.

Well, I'd say just do it at your own pace. I would simply say that as you mention, I would recommend covering all of the material. That said, Corinda is a wonderful index of different areas of mentalism, and by all means, check out a step that you like, if you'd like. But especially as an introduction to mentalism, it's worth going through everything as an introduction to what you can do.

A quick thought on pencil reading. As anyone actually pratice pencil reading in front of a mirror? Like will it work. I just ask my mom to write a few numbers and I'm stuck on a couple so I was wondering if this will increase my avaiblty to pencil read.

I doubt it. You know what you're writing. Other people write differently to you. So getting used to one hand motion is probably not very helpful, and the fact that you know what letter you're writing will give you a higher success rate than you would actually get in real life.

If you want to practice, I'd recommend the following. Perform any routine that requires them to write some sort of information down. When they do, set it up so that you can practice pencil reading. But use a method that does not require it. For example, a simple centre tear revelation, or a billet switch revelation - there are examples of both in Corinda. Opportunity to use pencil reading, and if you're confident, you can go with that. If you don't get it, or aren't confident, then use a centre tear and go from there. Or you can try this with something like a design duplication, or book test too. Anything that involves writing, really.

Jan 16, 2008
@Nino
Prae is correct -- try to practice pencil reading in everyday life as well as in effects that incorporate other methods; for example, when you're at school, get used to "reading" what your classmates are writing (not during tests, preferably), etc. Also, I've found that Zenner symbols are so much easier to read than letters, and once you're more capable in pencil reading, numbers will be a good step from symbols. If you need more assistance during pencil reading, I suggest you incorporate a bit of sound reading as well.

Good luck.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Just about anywhere, to be honest. Look at any big magic shop. Or any brick and mortar one too.

Well, I'd say just do it at your own pace. I would simply say that as you mention, I would recommend covering all of the material. That said, Corinda is a wonderful index of different areas of mentalism, and by all means, check out a step that you like, if you'd like. But especially as an introduction to mentalism, it's worth going through everything as an introduction to what you can do.

I doubt it. You know what you're writing. Other people write differently to you. So getting used to one hand motion is probably not very helpful, and the fact that you know what letter you're writing will give you a higher success rate than you would actually get in real life.

If you want to practice, I'd recommend the following. Perform any routine that requires them to write some sort of information down. When they do, set it up so that you can practice pencil reading. But use a method that does not require it. For example, a simple centre tear revelation, or a billet switch revelation - there are examples of both in Corinda. Opportunity to use pencil reading, and if you're confident, you can go with that. If you don't get it, or aren't confident, then use a centre tear and go from there. Or you can try this with something like a design duplication, or book test too. Anything that involves writing, really.

Thanks praetoritevong for the advice about pencil reading. I'll use that when I need to pratice pencil reading. Also David I try to use sound reading aswell to help me with pencil reading so thanks!

Yeah the only problem about going to a magic shop is that I live like 45 minutes to a magic shop so thats not really a option....well maybe when I come back from mexico I can head over there. Well thanks for the advice guys!

Jul 13, 2009
You could also just make your own swami. I used to make em out of bubble gum, a broken piece of lead and blue tac.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Check out 13 Steps. Once you understand what a Swami is, and what it looks like, it should be pretty easy to figure it out and make your own if you want (whether it does the job as well as a professionally made one depends on your ability, and your preferences).

Nino - Any major online store should have one. :)

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Check out 13 Steps. Once you understand what a Swami is, and what it looks like, it should be pretty easy to figure it out and make your own if you want (whether it does the job as well as a professionally made one depends on your ability, and your preferences).

Nino - Any major online store should have one. :)

Thanks praetoritevong. I order one when I come back from Mexico in a week.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results