5 Things I learned starting an online magic business

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Hi gang! I've recently started an online magic magazine that launches on January 1st, and thought I would share some of the things that I learned on this journey:

1. Everyone's already got a project
When looking for contributors for the magazine, I realized magicians are busy people! Some of the people I approached were so tied up that the answer was "maybe in a year or so". Everyone else has their own projects on the go- so yours isn't their priority.

2. You're working way ahead of time
Tying into the first point- because everyone is so tied up, you are planning months in advance. My magazine launches on January 1st, but I'm currently working on the April issue's layout, and getting contributions for June.

3. Patience
I'm a guy who emails back within ten minutes. I have learned that most magicians are not like this; in fact, if they say they'll get something to you by Friday, you should specify WHICH Friday. Patience is important; not everyone works in the same way or on the same schedule.

4. The job is social media
This probably applies to all magic businesses. You'd think as a magician starting a magic magazine that I'd be at my desk with a deck of cards in one hand and a coffee in another. Or that I'd be spending my time writing about magic. That's hardly the case- the majority of my time is spent trying to get the word out through social media. Magic is a marketing game!

5. Magicians are generous
Have you ever emailed one of your heroes out of the blue, without any prior conversations, and asked them for something? I've spent the past month doing this, and these magicians have almost all replied with offers to let me publish their work in my magazine. Not for pay, but out of the kindness of their hearts and the joy that comes from sharing magic. It's truly humbling to be a part of such a community.

That's all for now! For those who are interested, check out my signature for links to the magazine.
Cheers,

Scott.

Mar 3, 2018
5. Magicians are generous
Have you ever emailed one of your heroes out of the blue, without any prior conversations, and asked them for something? I've spent the past month doing this, and these magicians have almost all replied with offers to let me publish their work in my magazine. Not for pay, but out of the kindness of their hearts and the joy that comes from sharing magic. It's truly humbling to be a part of such a community.

That's all for now! For those who are interested, check out my signature for links to the magazine.
Cheers,

Scott.
I love how friendly and collaborative the magic community is! We all love helping each other get better.

Reactions: scottbaird
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results