"75% of performances are poor...." -- Fitzkee

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Not to play devel's advocate but you just stacked the deck against magicians. Try this. Take the best performers, (Greg Wilson doing close-up, or say Derren Brown doing mentalism) send these guys into the street and ask them to perform one of their best close-up effects. Now compare that to the performances of the "average" rapper or the "average" country singer(the guys who still play gigs behind the cage at biker bars.) Now you will likely get the exact opposite results.

Heck, screw stacking the deck. You get the average Joe Schmoe from your high school talent show doing an acoustic routine or a band from most battle of the bands, and they will create a greater desire for what ever art they are doing than MOST magicians these days. Derren Brown and Greg Wilson are the top one percent, and that is what Fitzkee says very clearly in his book. Both of them use entertaining factors that can be found in many other forms of entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I just finished this book about a month ago, and I am seeing more and more things to prove this statistic that Fitzkee brings forth. There are to many magicians out there who become magicians for magicians. They seek to entertain those who are in the trade and it really shows. Here is a test for all those out there, show a ten random people on the street some of the work that has been put out on you tube and what not, and ask their reaction. Most of them might be mildly interested, but will not pursue it at all. Now get one of the top performers in normal entertainment (Rappers, country singers, theatre pieces, the list goes on) and see how many of them would be really interested, and most likely will pursue this entertainment in some form or fashion. The truth is, the biggest thing killing our art is our selves, because it really does require so much energy and effort to make it effective. This isn't like playing a guitar where you can learn a couple of cords with a few months practice and be decent. To be decent, you most really put a lot of effort into it, and most magicians don't even do that. I just watched a big name on this website do a performance for a group of people, and I wasn't even entertained. I could tell that those around the performer couldn't have been that entertained either, but sure enough, this is what they post on You Tube as their pride and joy.

Why are comparing two completely different forms of entertainment to each other? Of course people will react differently if you take a top magic performer and then compare him to a top singer. It's apples to oranges and really shouldn't be done, because nothing is getting achieved by it. "Well, people enjoys the card/sponge/mentalism a bit, but they REALLY enjoyed the singer much more.. ". if you want to compare two different performing styles and this deals with magic. Then have one group see David Williamson perform, and then have the other group see Eugene Burger perform. Though the problem still happens that both Magicians have different styles and personalities when it comes to performing, etc etc.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Why are comparing two completely different forms of entertainment to each other?.

Granted, some people will enjoy different forms of entertain more than others. But Fitzkee clearly compares other forms of entertainment with magic to demonstrate what they are doing and we are leaving behind. He makes it clear that if we were to adapt to the changing times and incorporate the funk and pizazz of modern entertainment, we would help the art. It is about keeping up with the times and doing the things that others want us to do (I am not saying to contradict what we believe in to do that, so please don't open up that can of worms). Entertainment is meant to entertain others, and the truth is, magic is doing that on a very, very low level. That is why we have to look into the opinions of others to improve what we love and cherish.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't think we'd help the art form by adding other forms of entertainment to it. It would most likely hurt it a bit more than help. Adding too many different things to any form of entertainment just confuses people. "What the hell does country music have to do with (insert magic effect here.)?".

This is something that Whit Haydn and Darwin Ortiz pointed and not many people can pull this off without it looking contrived and silly.

Feb 4, 2008
Heck, screw stacking the deck. You get the average Joe Schmoe from your high school talent show doing an acoustic routine or a band from most battle of the bands, and they will create a greater desire for what ever art they are doing than MOST magicians these days. Derren Brown and Greg Wilson are the top one percent, and that is what Fitzkee says very clearly in his book. Both of them use entertaining factors that can be found in many other forms of entertainment.

I just disagree with that. Comparing average to average what you will find is interest generated in what people natural interests are in the first place. Average movie versus average band...people who like movies will watch the movie and people who like listening to music will go to the concert. I think you overestimate how many crappy musicians exist in the world.

Also the bigger point was that bad musicians don't effect the industry as a whole and bad movies don't negatively effect the movie industry as a whole. So somebody literally needs to find the logical thread that means that bad magicians will negatively effect the magic industry. I hope that makes more sense. I'm still with you that we all need to strive for better performances but before we start kicking new and less experience performers to the curb, ostracizing them, and disassociating ourselves with them there needs to be a pretty darn good reason for that. There needs to be some solid logic that suggests that they really do reflect poorly on us as a whole.

Because bad musicians, actors, directors, writers, etc. don't reflect poorly on there industry, we need to logically form an argument that somehow the magic industry is fundamentally different than other entertainment industries. Until we can do that, the best hope for our industry is to actually help foster good performances, not discourage average performers who may have the potential to some day be great.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I understand that Fitzkee trilogy is commonly debated, but I see the truth of it everyday.

Draven (good to see you again, sorry I have been absent for so long), you bring up a good point, where do we cross the line? Fitzkee mentions that we should avoid crossing into things that are crass and low brow. Basically, avoid things that are slowly destroying some fields of entertainment. And there is such a thing as too much theatre, that is why even actors can over dramatize things. We just have to find the right amount through testing and reforming.

Esotresh, if you disagree with Fitzkee, feel free to write a book about it and we shall see how well it does. Do I agree with everything he says, no. But ninety-eight percent of it is truth, and you could learn a lot about it. Let me ask you this, have you even read the book?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Generally speaking people only see one maybe TWO magicians live in person in their entire life. Now maybe some people will see David Blaine or Criss Angel or Copperfeild, Penn and Teller perform on TV. When they see something live in front of them and the act if bad, it tends to flip a switch in the back of their minds. "This guy is awful, so ALL other magicians must be awful and corny."

When people see a bad movie or hear an awful band live. They just think that ONE movie or Band if awful because they have seen/heard other movie's during their life time and know this.

With magic if they see a bad act, they are likely not going to want to see another one live again, and thus it makes it harder for the performer to entertain them. So what we should be doing is making sure that we are the best magician they have ever seen in their life. HOPEFULLY this will have the ripple effect of helping the industry and causing people to stop thinking magicians are corny dorks. (Because a lot of them are, and this stereotype needs to be destroyed.)

Feb 4, 2008
Esotresh, if you disagree with Fitzkee, feel free to write a book about it and we shall see how well it does. Do I agree with everything he says, no. But ninety-eight percent of it is truth, and you could learn a lot about it. Let me ask you this, have you even read the book?
Nope and I'm merely addressing how it has been presented here. If you are presenting his thoughts incorrectly then my apologies to Fitzkey. It does sound like an interesting book and I probably will check it out, but I need to get through Syzigy first LOL. Never the less those are my thoughts on the general topic being discussed. When I get to that stage in my career perhaps I will write a book. I currently have four other writing projects I'm juggling so this will have to exist merely as a post on a forum for now.

In the mean time, feel free to actually respond to my points instead of throwing out cheap shots. Can you, or has Fitzkey, formed a logical argument that shows that Magic is so fundamentally different from other entertainment fields that mediocre performances will hurt magic but not film or music? If that link can't be drawn then it would be more productive to help guide those performers to better performances instead of disassociating ourselves from them.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Eostresh, the reason why this idea is hit on so much is because you really have to read the whole book to see what Fitzkee means. It is easy to take his theory and bash it, when you don't know the who theory. Even in the Foreward, it mentions this. Read the book, that is all I am saying, and you will understand why that statistic is true.

Feb 4, 2008
Eostresh, the reason why this idea is hit on so much is because you really have to read the whole book to see what Fitzkee means. It is easy to take his theory and bash it, when you don't know the who theory. Even in the Foreward, it mentions this. Read the book, that is all I am saying, and you will understand why that statistic is true.
That is a fair and reasoned response. I earnestly thank you from stepping away from what was sounding like a set up for more cheap shots. (all too common unfortunately) You have earned my respect.

In the meantime I'll take you at your word and bump the Fitzkey book further up on my "need to read" list. Perhaps once I have read his comments directly, and in full, I'll realize he is not being an elitist. I still stand by my comments in general but I'll assume that what he his talking about is a bit more complex and nuanced an argument than what I have gathered so far from the discussion points on this thread.

Thanks again for your comments on the topic. They have been educational and thought prevoking.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
That is a fair and reasoned response. I earnestly thank you from stepping away from what was sounding like a set up for more cheap shots. (all too common unfortunately) You have earned my respect.

Nothing that I said was meant as a cheap shot, though I apologize if it came off like that. One of the things that is missed in these forms in the tone that I use, and I am sure if you would have heard me say that, you wouldn't have thought that.

Feb 4, 2008
Nothing that I said was meant as a cheap shot, though I apologize if it came off like that. One of the things that is missed in these forms in the tone that I use, and I am sure if you would have heard me say that, you wouldn't have thought that.
Understood. Pardon my initial jump to an incorrect conclusion. Sadly all to often cheap shots are the case on forums but I'll try give people the benefit of the doubt in the future and I will take you at your word henceforth. Again apologies.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2007
He really seems like an elitist. And yet I would also argue against myself that truer words have not yet been spoken.

Unfortunately, there will always be the elite and there will always be the wannabes. Sometimes being an elitist isn't such a bad thing if it means you have interesting things to say.

I have said this time and time again that magic lacks teachers. What modern magic has done is taken the old tradition of teaching and taken the living teacher out of it. Thus eliminating the chance to workshop effects on the spot. Ask for advice and by all means have someone yell the living crap out of you. The modern performer is alone with no one to rely or count on. Also the amount of materials out there is insane and finding the right stuff is hard. Although the teacher always guides their student in their own direction the fact is that after giving all of the knowledge over to his student the student has the right to go and explore. But that starting base where you have already mastered the basics and more is what gives you the edge. I can vouch for the old technique of having a teacher to give you the platform where to start and what to do. You cannot start something on your own, you always have to rely on someone elses knowledge or face having a ton of problems that might lead you to success but also the rocky 180 degree side of the fairytale.

I like the way you think, but I've noticed a curious trend lately that people don't seem to place the kind of value on mentors that they used to. Convenience perhaps has spoiled us and caused many to lose perspective.

Magic that completely frys and amazes adults completely flies over their head.

Just an aside, but when did frying someone become synonymous with impressing them? The context I hear frying used in the most outside of food is, "Dude, I am so fried right now. You want to listen to some Rush albums and order out for pizza? Is it just me, or is the furniture trying to sneak up on us?"

Maybe I'm just picky about my vernacular.

So kids react well to the really obvious stuff and anything with bright shiny colors. The kind of stuff that screams "Gimmick" to an adult.

Having performed for kids myself, that's a load of horsecrap. Kids are actually the most difficult audience of all specifically because they take nothing for granted. Their imaginations are far more extravagant than yours and mine.

It's not the kids fault they are stupid. Their brains haven't developed yet.

Oh, you are going to get crucified for that. I'm honestly surprised that you haven't gotten the crap flamed out of you already. So let me get the ball rolling. What in the name of all things sacred are you smoking?

Kids are stupid? Their brains haven't developed yet? Have you done even a nanosecond of research on child development, education and psychology? Kids are not stupid. Quite the contrary actually. They absorb information at an astonishing rate. Modern psychologists actually say that play is the natural state of the human mind and facilitates the most effective personal growth. For a child, the impossible is simply a matter of patience. A child is not a half-formed adult.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that when you see a child, you see something impeded? Something that you have to talk down to? That assumption is actually the main reason so much children's entertainment sucks. You know who really understood kids? Dr. Seuss. Don't any of you dare laugh. The man was arguably the greatest children's author of the 20th century. A lot of kids' magicians could learn from him if they put the gimmicks down for a second and read his books.

Anecdotal I know, but I actually have an effect for kids that gets a reaction like you wouldn't believe with only two blank pieces of business card stock and a pen. No, I'm not going to say what the effect is. The last thing I want is some wannabe using my words with none of my personality. Anyway the point is that I have witnessed with my own eyes that you don't need stupid gimmicks and baby talk to impress children.

If you want to see more good all-ages and kid-friendly entertainment that doesn't talk down to its audience, look at not only Dr. Seuss, but also some of Neil Gaiman's children's books, the work of TV producer Lauren Faust, The Iron Giant, Bill Waterson's classic strip Calvin & Hobbes, and Aaron Williams' graphic novel series PS238.

Am I being antagonistic with this response? Hell yes! I will put my head through a wall before I let a statement that profoundly ignorant go unchallenged.

What worries me is the insinuation that those who are mediocre should self regulate and stop performing until they are excellent.

Is that actually what he's saying?

Besides all that, how many other entertainment industries are hurt by poor performances within that industry? How many people here realized that Plan 9 from Outer Space (regarded by many critics as the worst movie ever made) was released in 1959. The same year that Ben Hur(Listed on AFI top 100 movies of all time) won the academy award for best picture.

Apples and oranges. If you want to start using movie analogies, be aware that you're on my turf.

Sep 1, 2007
That being said, it isn't fair to rate magic that way; it's ridiculously subjective.

Even subjective art has objective quality to its craft.

no magician intentionally doesn't cater to their audience

I disagree. I've seen magicians here who admitted that they think the stage is an appropriate place to indulge themselves whether or not the audience cares. We need to do everything we can to stop that because it's a disease that needs to be wiped out.

This isn't like playing a guitar where you can learn a couple of cords with a few months practice and be decent.

Speaking as a musician, it's not nearly that simple. If all you do is practice a few chords for a couple of months, you're still going to be a pretty awful guitarist. Everything is about skills.

This also deals with Fitzkees idea of "Modern Magic". We have no idea who he was talking about at the time the book was written and which magicians he's seen (though I can differ that he was mainly talking about Stage magic, sense I don't think strolling or close up magic was popular back when the book was written.). So there is that to think about as well.

If you don't yet understand the historical context, isn't that something you should research then instead of just leaving it up to assumptions?

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the industry right now is ego. And in that sense the Fitzkey points do nothing to solve the problem. In fact it seems to foster it. If you get a bunch of big headed, egotistical magicians who convince themselves that they are excellent then they never improve their own performances. If those egotists can convince the newbies not to perform because they are not "good enough" then you are narrowing the actual talent pool of potential magicians. Good for the self deluding egotists but bad for magic.

Or one could see his point as saying to the egotists, "Wake up, junior. You're not nearly as good as you think you are. Now get back to rehearsing before I brain you with your own pasteboards until you stop being such a bloody embarrassment."

I don't think we'd help the art form by adding other forms of entertainment to it.

That wasn't his point.

But even so Redi, at what point do we cross the line and cease being a show on magic and become a show with special effects?

Is there such a thing as too much theater?

Let me answer that with another question: Did Alice Cooper's stage show stop being a rock concert and start becoming a theatrical morality play?

Also the bigger point was that bad musicians don't effect the industry as a whole and bad movies don't negatively effect the movie industry as a whole.

So if the producers put out too many bad movies or albums, it will in no way change the public's attitude toward them?

There will always be gold and there will always be crap. But when you give people too much of the bad stuff, they stop buying and look for entertainment elsewhere, or try to get it for free so they at least don't feel ripped off.

On top of that, magic is much more insular. People don't see magic very often. And while that does mean they have less of a reference pool to judge crap from non-crap, people are willing to swallow only so much garbage before they kick you to the curb and look for their fix somewhere else. Why hire a magician for a couple hundred bucks when they can get two hours of entertainment for a tenth the cost at a movie theater? Why pay that money to see Michael Bay's latest showcase of explosion porn when you can just torrent a bootleg for free?

So somebody literally needs to find the logical thread that means that bad magicians will negatively effect the magic industry. I hope that makes more sense.

If someone hires a bad magician and walks away with a negative impression of magic, what are the odds that they will hire someone else? You're failing to account for the ubiquity of other media. Movies have had a century to permeate our pop culture. We've had music since time meant nothing. You can't get away from this stuff.

But stop and think for a second. What if you had never seen a movie before in your life? And what if your first exposure to movies was in the form of Enzyte commercials? Would you walk away with a very positive impression of the medium? And don't tell me that's apples and oranges either. If the wankery that magicians sell to each other gets counted as magic, then a commercial can count as a movie.

I'm still with you that we all need to strive for better performances but before we start kicking new and less experience performers to the curb, ostracizing them, and disassociating ourselves with them there needs to be a pretty darn good reason for that. There needs to be some solid logic that suggests that they really do reflect poorly on us as a whole.

You're still stuck on that? It's not the newbies themselves that are the problem. It's the ones that say, "Good enough." Those people need a kick in the ass so that they either get over themselves and learn to improve or do us all a favor and move on to something else.

Not everything is black and white and underdogs aren't always the good guys. Sometimes people just suck.

Because bad musicians, actors, directors, writers, etc. don't reflect poorly on there industry, we need to logically form an argument that somehow the magic industry is fundamentally different than other entertainment industries.

Yes, they do. Put out one too many lousy movies and people stop buying tickets to go to the movies. Release too many lousy albums and people stop buying music.

Until we can do that, the best hope for our industry is to actually help foster good performances, not discourage average performers who may have the potential to some day be great.

Question: Who here has actually said, "Screw newbies!" Seriously. Point me to the people who are saying this so I know what the foundation for this paranoia is. Do it now, because so far I see no proof that there is any merit to this perception. It looks like just another knee-jerk reaction using "elite" as a pejorative.

Feb 4, 2008
Oh, you are going to get crucified for that. I'm honestly surprised that you haven't gotten the crap flamed out of you already. So let me get the ball rolling. [/I]
HaHaHa me too! Guess everyone else knew I was being sarcastic. I'm a teacher I work with kids everyday. I used to be a snowboard instructor as well so I taught them in that capacity as well. I perform magic for kids almost everyday(they do tend to pester when your a magician) Anyways, many can comprehend some pretty cool effects, stuff I am personally more interested in doing, but it never ceases to amaze me how often the neck cracker and thumb off the end of your finger gets requested. Not that I don't have a darn goo thumb off the end of my finger presentation if I do say so myself, but still a ring just vanished and showed up in your friends pocket....I mean come on! That's way cooler then the neck cracker!

Anyways you obviously know a lot about kids and your dead on. It is hard to pull the wool over their eyes because they are not loaded with preconceptions of what's possible.

Unfortunately, there will always be the elite and there will always be the wannabes. Sometimes being an elitist isn't such a bad thing if it means you have interesting things to say.
Biggest problem with thinking like that is the number of magicians who think they are elite when they are actually mediocre at best. Now I have seen one video performance from the guy at "witching hour productions." I don't know if that guy is you or just a friend of yours but whoever he is it is an excellent example of what I am talking about. A guy who has obviously studied the art quite a bit but just can't put it all together. The patter was there but it wasn't well delivered, the magic looked more like "magic at you," instead of "magic for you." The audience was giving the polite, "Oh how nice," kind of reaction. Heck there was one person who couldn't stay away from a bowl of soup! I mean...double fudge chocolate cake is one thing but when you are being upstaged by soup??? That should be a warning bell!

Now that guy might not be you, he may just be a friend of yours that you are helping to promote. If he isn't you should really take him under your wing and help him out. But if he is....You have absolutely no business acting like an elitist. You are the mediocrity that has potential that I have been attempting to defend from the beginning. If that guy is you then you are the guy I have been defending. The guy that I think has every right to perform even if he hasn't got it all figured out now. I don't consider myself much better than that guy but at least I'm hard enough on myself to recognize where I need to improve.

Now as for Fitzkey, Redi and I have had a good discussion on that and he has convinced me that I really need to read his book directly to fully appreciate his stance and position. I intend to do that because he sounds like a provocative writer and I am always interested in reading the work of people who challenge the way I think. So I'll save that for Fitzkey to explain in his own writing instead of filtering it through other peoples interpretations.

Sep 1, 2007
HaHaHa me too! Guess everyone else knew I was being sarcastic. I'm a teacher I work with kids everyday.

It's sometimes hard to see sarcasm in text. My mistake.

Now I have seen one video performance from the guy at "witching hour productions." I don't know if that guy is you or just a friend of yours but whoever he is it is an excellent example of what I am talking about.

That was me in 2008 when I first started busking and tried to find a local agent. I hate that video. I look back on what I used to be like and cringe. I've been trying to get something new since 2010, but nothing I have any desire to share with the public due to one technical problem after another. It's the perfectionist in me acting up again.

I'll be taking the video down soon in favor of whatever I can get recorded once I just bite the bullet and settle for anything better, though I plan to keep the copy on my hard drive to remind me where I came from.

Here's the thing. I have not seen proof that Fitzkee wants newbies to screw off. Telling people they're not as good as they think they are is not the same thing as saying they will never be good so they should just quit. I don't know why you came to the conclusion that you did. Your reaction appeared to me yet another example of the trend I've seen of people believing that the elite are to be suspected, not respected. That they're out to get us. That they don't want what's best for others, only for themselves. I don't believe the underdogs need the defense.

Feb 4, 2008
It's sometimes hard to see sarcasm in text. My mistake.

That was me in 2008 when I first started busking and tried to find a local agent. I hate that video. I look back on what I used to be like and cringe. I've been trying to get something new since 2010, but nothing I have any desire to share with the public due to one technical problem after another. It's the perfectionist in me acting up again.

I'll be taking the video down soon in favor of whatever I can get recorded once I just bite the bullet and settle for anything better, though I plan to keep the copy on my hard drive to remind me where I came from.

Here's the thing. I have not seen proof that Fitzkee wants newbies to screw off. Telling people they're not as good as they think they are is not the same thing as saying they will never be good so they should just quit. I don't know why you came to the conclusion that you did. Your reaction appeared to me yet another example of the trend I've seen of people believing that the elite are to be suspected, not respected. That they're out to get us. That they don't want what's best for others, only for themselves. I don't believe the underdogs need the defense.

Elites are to be respected Steerpike. People who claim to be elite, in my experience, are to be suspected. That is the danger I see in Magic. Way to many people think they are much better than they actually are. If that is at the hart of the Fitzkey argument then I'm probably 100% on board. But as I have said about three time already, I really need to get it direct from him. As for how I got that impression that that is at the heart of his comments, I'd kind of have to rehash all the posts, which would be kind of a waste of my time. Point is I did get that tone but for the most part the defenders have successfully clarified his and their positions so it is water under the bridge.

Oh....and if you don't think underdogs need defending then why did you so vehemently defend those poor maligned little brats I was talking about? See steerpike! Even you like to play the good guy sometimes ;)

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Speaking as a musician, it's not nearly that simple. If all you do is practice a few chords for a couple of months, you're still going to be a pretty awful guitarist. Everything is about skills.

My statement was merely to say that magic is way harder than any other art form that I have ever tried to do. The amount of time and energy that I have put into this art is no where near the time I have spent as a guitarist, and I would have to say that my guitar skills are still better. (Side note: yes you can get by as a decent guitarist with just a few chords. How many songs are really based off of the chords of Em, G, F, D, C, and A? =P Just food for thought)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@ realityone...I didn't mean to imply that kids magicicians are bad. There are loads of wonderful kids performers. What I mean is that kids process things differently. Magic that completely frys and amazes adults completely flies over their head. So kids react well to the really obvious stuff and anything with bright shiny colors. The kind of stuff that screams "Gimmick" to an adult. It's not the kids fault they are stupid. Their brains haven't developed yet. Nevertheless, effects that play well for kids are basically "Bad" magic. At least that has been my experience. I perform for a lot of kids and adults but I am no Pro so take all I say with a grain of salt. I am an amateur who performs a lot....which is a big difference from a Pro who performs a lot but likely not much different from a pro who books one gig a month.

I understand you were joking with part of your response, but I think Steerpike has some good points in his response and agree with what he is saying.

I would say that most kids show magicians fit Fitzke's statistics perfectly.... 75% are awful and 24% are mediocre. They all seem to perform the same tricks using the same props and the same patter. Let's be honest, those are the performers who are responsible for choosing to perform the "BAD" magic. My rule for a kids show effect is that if it can't work for an adult show, don't use it.

My point is that Fitzke's idea of making magic stronger by incorporating other elements is interpreted by a lot of kids show performers who justify performing weak magic by being silly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results